HP Forums

Full Version: (HP-67) The Use of a Programmable Pocket Calculator in Clinical Dietetics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Summary. The application of programmable pocket calculators to clinical
dietetics is described. The development of programs for the HP-67 and 97 for
the evaluation of nutritional intakes of patients with obesity, renal disease,
etc. and for the calculation and interpretation of food intakes in nutritional
surveys is given in detail. The calculators simplify the practical work, shorten
the calculation time substantially and allow direct incorporation of newly
published data into analysis.

found here The use of a programmable pocket calculator in clinical dietetics, complete with descriptions, listings etc.

BEST!
SlideRule
(12-28-2018 07:54 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ][i]Summary. The application of programmable pocket calculators to clinical..................
Good discovery, apparently the HP67 is still an extraordinary calculator, also in the field of medicine. Thanks for sharing. Pedro
The use of x>y? puzzled me in the listing of the BASIC PROGRAM (Cumulative Totals):
Code:
LBL 2     21   02
f x>y?    16   34
EEX          - 23
3         03
÷            - 24

It took me a while to figure out that the left and right keypad got mixed up and instead the following was meant:
Code:
LBL 2     21   02
f INT     16   34
EEX          - 23
3         03
÷            - 24

Instead of switching between primary and secondary registers they could have relied more on the stack and just used the following subroutine:
Code:
LBL 2     21   02
f INT     16   34
EEX          - 23
3         03
÷            - 24
×            - 35
RTN            24

And then use it like so:
Code:
LBL A     21   11
PRINT X      - 14
f SPACE   16 - 11
RCL 1     36   01
GSB 2     23   02

Thanks for sharing these old programs.

Cheers
Thomas
(12-29-2018 01:20 AM)PedroLeiva Wrote: [ -> ]apparently the HP67 is still an extraordinary calculator, also in the field of medicine.

Not sure if you noticed the paper's date:
Quote:Received June 27, 1978/Accepted October 13, 1978
(12-29-2018 07:16 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]It took me a while to figure out that the left and right keypad got mixed up and instead the following was meant:
I will search for follow on errata; most excellent observation.

BEST!
SlideRule
(12-29-2018 07:16 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]The use of x>y? puzzled me in the listing of the BASIC PROGRAM (Cumulative Totals):
Code:
LBL 2     21   02
f x>y?    16   34
EEX          - 23
3         03
÷            - 24

The same is true for the "Nutricional Survey" program, cf. line 60 at LBL 2:

Code:
LBL 2     21 02
RCL (i)   36 45
f x>0?    16 44
1            00
0            00
0            00
x           -35

Here instead of the x>0? test obviously a FRAC command is the right one.

So it's...

Code:
LBL 2     21 02
RCL (i)   36 45
f FRAC    16 44
1            00
0            00
0            00
x           -35

BTW, since the listings include print commands and even the HP97 key codes, I wonder why the program form was filled in with a typewriter and even by hand for special characters. Why didn't they simply attach a printed program listing? This also would have avoided the mentioned errors.

(12-29-2018 02:06 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]I will search for follow on errata; most excellent observation.

So here is another error. Which does not mean there may not be more. #-)

Finally, looking at the user instructions: are "1ary" and "2nd.ary" common abbreviations for "primary" and "secondary"? And is "to tip" a common verb for keying in a value? Just curious since English is not my native language.

Then take a look at the references. There are two papers that sound very interesting: Goggin, M. S., Lawrence, D.: "Dietary calculation by pocket-size computer" and "Pocket-sized solution to the dietitian's workload", both published in 1975. Could these possibly refer to the HP65 ?

Dieter
(12-29-2018 06:38 PM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]So it's...

Code:
LBL 2     21 02
RCL (i)   36 45
f FRAC    16 44
1            00

Of course that should rather be:
Code:
1            01

Quote:Why didn't they simply attach a printed program listing?

You could ask Prof. Dr. David H. Shmerling. He's still listed as Titularprofessor für Kinderheilkunde in the Children Hospital in Zurich.

I remember that the colour of the thermal paper initially was a blue that was hard to photocopy.
That was much better later with the black paper.

Quote:Then take a look at the references. There are two papers that sound very interesting: Goggin, M. S., Lawrence, D.: "Dietary calculation by pocket-size computer" and "Pocket-sized solution to the dietitian's workload", both published in 1975. Could these possibly refer to the HP65 ?

Cf. page 268:
Quote:Our studies are based on Goggin and Lawrence's experience (Goggin and Lawrence, 1975 a, 1975 b) with a renal "diet-package" for the calculator Hewlett-Packard-65. We developed their ideas to encompass later models of the HP-65 and for application to dietetics in general.

Kind regards
Thomas
(12-29-2018 07:56 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]Of course that should rather be:
Code:
1            01

Err... yes, of course.
Actually it should better be...
Code:
EEX         -23
2            02

;-)

(12-29-2018 07:56 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]I remember that the colour of the thermal paper initially was a blue that was hard to photocopy.
That was much better later with the black paper.

Is or was blue really such a problem? What about copying handwritten text with blue ink then? There are also lots of books (including HP's own Application Pac manuals) that contain printed listings produced by the HP97 and other printing HP calculators. But I admit I have never tried a photocopy of such output.

(12-29-2018 07:56 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]Cf. page 268:

Our studies are based on Goggin and Lawrence's experience (Goggin and Lawrence, 1975 a, 1975 b) with a renal "diet-package" for the calculator Hewlett-Packard-65. We developed their ideas to encompass later models of the HP-65 and for application to dietetics in general.

So it was indeed the HP65. But there were not many options at that time. Maybe a TI SR-52. ;-)

Dieter
(12-29-2018 06:38 PM)Dieter Wrote: [ -> ]Then take a look at the references. There are two papers that sound very interesting: Goggin, M. S., Lawrence, D.: "Dietary calculation by pocket-size computer" and "Pocket-sized solution to the dietitian's workload", both published in 1975. Could these possibly refer to the HP65 ?
Dieter
underline my emphasis, for perusal
[attachment=6712]

BEST!
SlideRule
(12-29-2018 09:06 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]underline my emphasis, for perusal

Thank you very much.

Dieter
Reference URL's