HP Forums

Full Version: 41CL: Update to OSX3 Problem (maybe)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is a problem, but it seems like it.
Hopefully not everyone with a 41CL is unterwegs/enroute/in transit to Allschwil right now :-)

I recently did a FLASH update of my v5 41CL to the 180928 ROM level, the latest as of this writing. Everything seemed to work fine, but there are a few oddities I'm not sure are right. It's possible I may have had some of them before, but hadn't spotted them because I put off a really "deep dive" on everything until I did this update to the latest FLASH.

I'll meter my issues out in separate postings to keep things simple(r) and not overwhelm folks.

Problem: With OSX3 installed, if I run CAT 2, I see "8HY" in place of anything that relates to AMC or OSX as the catalog listing rolls by. If I "R/S" at 8HY and hit ENTER, all kinds of encoded characters do a dance and control of the machine seems unrecoverable (even with ON ← reset) unless I take the batteries out for a minute or so.

Investigation Steps
1. I originally noticed this peculiarity with OSX3 on my "main" configuration that employed Library#4, OSX3, YFNX, PWRX, and WARP. Deciding that was a bunch of "power stuff" all in at once, it might be better to isolate things a bit and I reduced to the following more-minimized setup. Everything I am using is from 180928 ROM level.

Page 4: Library#4 R46
Page 7: OSX3
Page 8: YNFZ

Even under this minimal setup, I see the "8HY" issue.

2. Following that, I swapped in YNFX in place of YNFZ just in order to get access to command YCRC (I still see "8HY" on CAT2 with YNFX). I then used YCRC to confirm the CRC checksums for each of the following in FLASH, comparing against the 28 Sep 18 version of mem_ref.pdf on the 41CL site. (This step just verifies that my recent FLASH update didn't install a corrupted version of any of the ROMs in use. All checked OK.
0x120 4LIB -- CRC OK
0x168 OSXB1 -- CRC OK
0x169 OSXB2 -- CRC OK
0x16A OSXB3 -- CRC OK
0x16B OSXB4 -- CRC OK
0x007 YNFZ-4F -- CRC OK
0x00A YNFX-3A -- CRC OK

So everything looks fine.

What's going on here?
•Is seeing "8HY" in CAT2 just "normal"? I don't remember that being the case in the past. My as-delivered prior FLASH dated to May 18.
•Or is there a bug in OSX3 or the new Library 4?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
There is a new version of OSX3 in the 181101 release, which will be posted shortly.
That is the most likely source of the problem.
(11-02-2018 03:54 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote: [ -> ]There is a new version of OSX3 in the 181101 release, which will be posted shortly.
That is the most likely source of the problem.

Ahah, I figured after the 180928 ROM was a month old, I would no longer be "a pioneer" !

Thanks, Monte!
(11-02-2018 02:36 PM)burkhard Wrote: [ -> ]What's going on here?
•Is seeing "8HY" in CAT2 just "normal"? I don't remember that being the case in the past. My as-delivered prior FLASH dated to May 18.
•Or is there a bug in OSX3 or the new Library 4?

Sorry about your troubles, yes there was a bug in that revision of the OSX3 module - I sent the correction to Monte a few days ago. I can also send you the ROM images via email if you let me know your email address in a PM - so you won't have to wait for the monthly general ROM package update,

ÁM
(11-04-2018 06:09 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I can also send you the ROM images via email if you let me know your email address in a PM - so you won't have to wait for the monthly general ROM package update,

ÁM

No need to, the new pkg is available on Monte's site - rom_files_181101.zip.
(11-04-2018 01:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2018 06:09 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I can also send you the ROM images via email if you let me know your email address in a PM - so you won't have to wait for the monthly general ROM package update,

ÁM

No need to, the new pkg is available on Monte's site - rom_files_181101.zip.

I installed today the new update... all looks fine!
Reference URL's