HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime battery replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Where can I find the battery replacement? It seems like i can't find it anywhere on HP store.
Thanks.
I've never replaced mine, but some people suggest a Samsung smartphone battery, as mentioned in this thread. However, this post indicates a Samsung battery may not work. Photos and model numbers of a replacement battery are mentioned in this post. Tim W. of HP offers his thoughts here.
(08-17-2018 07:06 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]... However, this post indicates a Samsung battery may not work.

Don't worry. They work. I've had a Samsung S3 battery working fine in a Prime for several years now.

EDIT: Samsung Galaxy S3.
Out of curiosity, does the new G2 model use the same battery?
(08-17-2018 06:42 AM)StarTrekken Wrote: [ -> ]Where can I find the battery replacement? It seems like i can't find it anywhere on HP store.
Thanks.
Example:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Battery-1-Wall...0860065327
(08-17-2018 12:06 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry. They work. I've had a Samsung S3 battery working fine in a Prime for several years now.

Joe, how many years did your stock HP battery last? And how often did you use the Prime during that time period. Thanks.

(08-17-2018 06:32 PM)CyberAngel Wrote: [ -> ]Example:

Those prices seem awfully low for a rechargeable lithium ion battery. Are these made in China batteries they could explode or bloat at any time?
(08-17-2018 10:48 PM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2018 06:32 PM)CyberAngel Wrote: [ -> ]Example:
Those prices seem awfully low for a rechargeable lithium ion battery. Are these made in China batteries they could explode or bloat at any time?
No, they are NOT original Samsung batteries
(like the Note 7 hand grenades).
(08-17-2018 10:56 PM)CyberAngel Wrote: [ -> ]No, they are NOT original Samsung batteries

I am well aware they are NOT Samsung batteries as the prices shown are too cheap. They are obviously MADE IN CHINA knock-offs, which actually has me more concerned about their being hand-grenades destined to become fireballs! Would you trust a Lithium Ion battery made for the absolute cheapest price? Even Apple and the big brands have a bad battery now and then. Now consider a no-name factory in China and what their QC may be like.

I too want a cheap price, but when it comes to Lithium batteries, I also want some assurance about quality too.
(08-17-2018 10:48 PM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]Joe, how many years did your stock HP battery last? And how often did you use the Prime during that time period. Thanks.

I have 8 Primes, each with a different firmware version, for bug hunting purposes. 7 of them have stock batteries, 6 of which are 2 years old or more; all are still working perfectly. I also have 1 Prime with a Samsung Galaxy 3S battery, about 3 years old, also working perfectly. All are used almost every day, because "What we love, we love to play with." -- the late great Jim Davidson of PPC fame.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did not buy the Samsung battery because the stock one failed; I just bought it to see if it would fit and work, which it did.
(08-17-2018 01:33 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, does the new G2 model use the same battery?

The current Prime battery is about 1677mAh (according to http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-65.html), the one in the G2 is 2000mAh
(08-18-2018 03:07 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2018 10:56 PM)CyberAngel Wrote: [ -> ]No, they are NOT original Samsung batteries
I am well aware they are NOT Samsung batteries as the prices shown are too cheap. They are obviously MADE IN CHINA knock-offs
Pick your Chinese knock-off/original from these:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40...sacat=9394

I bought a very expensive Mugen Power battery for my Samsung S4 Active and it bulged.
I bought a second one, but not directly from Mugent, with extra battery.
All three bulged.
Mugen Power wants me to post a *bulged* battery for them to verify.
That company, Mugen Power, is a VERY expensive knock-off cheating fake company.

I have still the batteries with me to remind me of that
NOTHING guarantees your Li-battery - not money, praying, or luck.
EDIT: Not even taking good care of it (but it is smart to do so).
(08-18-2018 07:57 AM)CyberAngel Wrote: [ -> ]NOTHING guarantees your Li-battery - not money, praying, or luck.

Do not over-discharge, do not over-charge, keep not too cold nor hot. You can easily get 500+ cycles of a battery that way (2+ years). No need for praying or luck.
(08-20-2018 11:38 AM)eried Wrote: [ -> ]Do not over-discharge, do not over-charge, keep not too cold nor hot. You can easily get 500+ cycles of a battery that way (2+ years). No need for praying or luck.

Those orders need to be directed toward HP, not us as the end user, seeing that once we put the battery inside the Prime, it's really up to the Prime to charge it correctly. And as to not over-discharging it, I would leave that to the Prime as well, since we don't know that the battery is running low until the Prime tells us.

As to third party batteries bulging, has anyone had them bulge while in a Prime? And for that matter, has anyone had an HP stock battery bulge?
(08-20-2018 12:14 PM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2018 11:38 AM)eried Wrote: [ -> ]Do not over-discharge, do not over-charge, keep not too cold nor hot. You can easily get 500+ cycles of a battery that way (2+ years). No need for praying or luck.

Those orders need to be directed toward HP, not us as the end user, seeing that once we put the battery inside the Prime, it's really up to the Prime to charge it correctly. And as to not over-discharging it, I would leave that to the Prime as well, since we don't know that the battery is running low until the Prime tells us.

As to third party batteries bulging, has anyone had them bulge while in a Prime? And for that matter, has anyone had an HP stock battery bulge?

I've been using a Samsung 2000mAh replacement in my HW A Prime daily for a couple years now and there's no bulge. It's nice to not have to recharge the battery as often as with the stock battery.
(08-20-2018 06:20 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using a Samsung 2000mAh replacement in my HW A Prime daily for a couple years now and there's no bulge. It's nice to not have to recharge the battery as often as with the stock battery.

Samsung branded battery or Chinese knock-off?

Can you please provide a link to the product page from where you purchased your battery?

Thanks.
(08-20-2018 09:09 PM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2018 06:20 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using a Samsung 2000mAh replacement in my HW A Prime daily for a couple years now and there's no bulge. It's nice to not have to recharge the battery as often as with the stock battery.

Samsung branded battery or Chinese knock-off?

Can you please provide a link to the product page from where you purchased your battery?

Thanks.
I bought it on TAS from a US seller in Texas (suntek-wireless). It was actually 2100mAh, not 2000. I mistyped. There are quite a few sellers that are reputable but quite a few that are less reliable. I usually look for a seller with a large number of feedbacks (>1000) and over 99.5% positive. So far I've never gone wrong by doing that.
(08-22-2018 05:19 AM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]I bought it on TAS from a US seller in Texas (suntek-wireless).

Since you did not provide a URL, please define "TAS."

And with regard to "suntek-wireless" are you speaking of this EBAY seller?
https://www.ebay.com/str/Suntek-Wireless/

Thanks.
(08-22-2018 05:23 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]Since you did not provide a URL, please define "TAS."

It's part of the culture here.

TAS is "The Auction Site" that should remain nameless.

There is also another HP-related site with which I think HPMuseum had a slight disagreement back in the mists of time. Since then, it's been referred to as "The Other Site", or "TOS".
(08-22-2018 06:51 AM)grsbanks Wrote: [ -> ]TAS is "The Auction Site" that should remain nameless.

Not to be argumentative, but could you please explain why it should it remain nameless?
(Also, when pondering the word "nameless" one is led muse over obvious question: If "TAS" is another name for it, is it really nameless?)

At the end of the day, I am a man of specifics. Many of you are too. When people say, "I bought such and such and have used it for years without problem," I want a URL that leads directly to the item in question so it can be easily purchased. That's all I ask, for myself and the benefit of all who find this thread. Because really, at some point, all of us who own a Prime will need to replace the battery. Better to get a good one than a bad one, and we often learn that by reading the experiences of others.

Thanks!
(08-22-2018 06:59 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]At the end of the day, I am a man of specifics. Many of you are too. When people say, "I bought such and such and have used it for years without problem," I want a URL that leads directly to the item in question so it can be easily purchased. That's all I ask, for myself and the benefit of all who find this thread. Because really, at some point, all of us who own a Prime will need to replace the battery. Better to get a good one than a bad one, and we often learn that by reading the experiences of others.

Thanks!

I didn't have a specific link to the exact battery I bought since the guy puts up auctions all the time and the URL will change. As a senior member, I thought you'd immediately get the reference to TAS. I used it tongue-in-cheek since it was a silly policy not to name it and I've made fun of it many times. It was like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "Nyah, nyah, I can't hear you!" when someone says something you don't like. As I said, go by the total feedbacks and percentage positive and you should be fine.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's