HP Forums

Full Version: Plastic slip cover so hard to take off!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 2 Primes I ordered for my kids just arrived and after unboxing one (the first time I've ever used a real Prime), I found that the slip cover is a pain to remove, even for me as a grown man. My daughter can't do it at all.

I am talking about putting that sliding cover over the front of the calculator, pulling the cover all the way until it locks.

Surely there must be a trick to get the cover off quickly and painlessly. What is that trick?

Thanks.
I noticed the same thing on mine, but I used the same trick that works on the NSpire (although the cover on the Prime seems even harder to remove than the NSpire!), which is to use both thumbs (one near the top and one on the curved bottom section, with other fingers underneath) when pushing the calculator out of the cover. This leaves nasty thumbprints on the screen, but that's kind of expected for a touchscreen calculator anyway!

Maybe it loosens up with use?
I ordered some of these in different colours for my various "large" calculators, so I may forego the hard covers. I don't know what the quality is like as they haven't turned up yet, but they're cheap!
Ian, your tip seems to be for removing the cover when it is locked on the BACK of the calculator (when the calculator is in use), but I am talking about when the cover is placed over the LCD (when you store the calculator).

My own trick for removing the evil slip-cover when it is on the BACK of the calculator (when the calculator is in use) is an easy trick. You just DO NOT LOCK the slip cover.

But when you want to store the calculator, if you don't lock the cover over the LCD, it might slip off. So you really need to lock it down. But when it's locked, it's locked hard. And getting that slip cover off when it's locked over the face (LCD) of the calculator is a real nightmare even for me.

Thankfully, I thought ahead and purchased a soft case for the Prime. I was thinking that IN ADDITION TO the plastic slip cover, the soft case would add extra protection needed when a calculator is thrown into a backpack full of books and who knows what. If my daughter just stops using the slip cover completely, and relies on the soft case, then there is no problem unless she really bangs the calculator around. It would be best to have the slip cover on with the soft case too, which is why I posted my inquiry. It just boggles my mind how difficult this cover is to remove when locked!
(07-28-2018 11:29 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]Ian, your tip seems to be for removing the cover when it is locked on the BACK of the calculator (when the calculator is in use), but I am talking about when the cover is placed over the LCD (when you store the calculator).

Actually, I meant the tip to apply equally to removing the cover from the front or back, although the remark about thumbprints on the screen only applies in one of those cases.

Quote:Thankfully, I thought ahead and purchased a soft case for the Prime. I was thinking that IN ADDITION TO the plastic slip cover, the soft case would add extra protection needed when a calculator is thrown into a backpack full of books and who knows what. If my daughter just stops using the slip cover completely, and relies on the soft case, then there is no problem unless she really bangs the calculator around. It would be best to have the slip cover on with the soft case too, which is why I posted my inquiry. It just boggles my mind how difficult this cover is to remove when locked!

Nice, but is it available in pink? Smile
(07-28-2018 12:12 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2018 11:29 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]Thankfully, I thought ahead and purchased a soft case for the Prime.

Nice, but is it available in pink? Smile

No, only black. My daughter would have preferred it in a lovely color. Then again, she isn't necessarily all that giddy over a calculator to begin with. So black is satisfactory to her. It's a nice case and the price on Amazon wasn't bad. It fits the Prime like a glove when the plastic slip cover is on. I highly recommend it.
I just shaved a very very tiny bit of the plastic bumps on the cover.
My way:

The calculator must always be on the table.
This way the only way to do the operation is to immobilize with two fingers of one hand and push with those of the other.

Easy and confortable
(07-28-2018 11:29 AM)JDW Wrote: [ -> ]Ian, your tip seems to be for removing the cover when it is locked on the BACK of the calculator (when the calculator is in use), but I am talking about when the cover is placed over the LCD (when you store the calculator).

If it's any consolation, the cover gets easier and easier to slip on/off with frequent use as the retaining bumps and grooves get worn.
My solution might work for you too: Hold the Prime with both hands, with your thumbs on top, between the logo and the edges, and with all your fingers on the back just below your thumbs. Now SQUEEZE your thumbs towards your fingers; this bows the cover slightly, which forces those offending bumps inside to move apart slightly. While still squeezing, use your thumbs to slide the cover downwards.

This has always worked for me (8 different Primes), and presents no danger to the display.

Reducing the height of those bumps is tempting, but personally I'd be afraid that doing so would eventually result in the cover becoming TOO easily removed, which is what happened to all my 49G's, whose covers no longer stay on in a backpack.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Prime User Guide says, "Remove the cover by grasping both sides of it and pulling down." Ha! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin What a joke. Unless they meant the front side and back side... in which case that's my solution too. But they could have been clearer about it!
I've found another way to remove the cover:

1. Place the calculator between the palms of both hands with fingers pointing towards the top of the calculator.
  2. Unclip the cover from the calculator body using the palms of your hands to push the calculator side away from you or upwards, and the cover side towards you or downwards.
  3. Once unclipped, grab the top of the calculator with one hand, the back of the cover with the other hand, and slide the calculator fully out of the cover.

It is possible to turn the calculator on accidentally at step 2, so make sure to turn it off again if stowing the calculator.

(07-28-2018 06:41 PM)Joe Horn Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: I just noticed that the Prime User Guide says, "Remove the cover by grasping both sides of it and pulling down." Ha! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin What a joke. Unless they meant the front side and back side... in which case that's my solution too. But they could have been clearer about it!

The instructions for removing the cover ought to be in the QSG.
Reference URL's