HP Forums

Full Version: hp49g+ vs hp50g
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I am EE student, and until now I was using hp39gs. Now I’m looking for new one, more suitable for thing I do on faculty. I found a really cheap hp49g+, in good condition and there is a hp50g, which is much expensive than hp49g+. I’m not really interested in making programs for it, not using RPN, but I need more specialized functions and programs, like Fourier and laPlace transformations, some electrical calculations, good symbolic capabilities and everything that goes with it. I would take hp50g with no doubts, but money is always a problem, so will hp49g+ answer my requirements or should I sacrifice and go for hp50g?
As far as the functionality of the 49G+ vs the 60G, they are the same. Some 49G+ keyboards have had issues but if yours is in good working condition I would advise taking it and save yourself the cost of a 50G and get the same performance.
(04-30-2018 04:14 PM)pljevljak Wrote: [ -> ]I would take hp50g with no doubts, but money is always a problem, so will hp49g+ answer my requirements or should I sacrifice and go for hp50g?

Hi, see 50g or 49g+?, maybe this helps in answering your question.

Joerg
I bought my 50g new from Amazon.co.uk for 60 GBP when they were going cheap back in October 2014. It would cost more than twice as much to replace it now!

EDIT: Actually, I think I got lucky with that price back in 2014. There was one particular seller "Apple Gear" selling them off at that price, but other sellers were more expensive. I don't know why a company called Apple Gear would be selling HP calculators, but there you go! They don't seem to be in business any longer, possibly due to selling HP calculators too cheap!
(04-30-2018 08:56 PM)joeres Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018 04:14 PM)pljevljak Wrote: [ -> ]I would take hp50g with no doubts, but money is always a problem, so will hp49g+ answer my requirements or should I sacrifice and go for hp50g?

Hi, see 50g or 49g+?, maybe this helps in answering your question.

Joerg

The problem is that the HP50G is no longer sold, there are many refurbish and old machines on the Amazon.

Rather buy new the HP Prime thatn to get something that will not work after 2-3 years.

It is sad but today HP does only sell HP prime for engineers.
Why should a barely used calculator stop working after 2-3 years? Calculators normally last 10+ years.

I bought my first refurbished 50g in 2010 and it still works as new. Many users here have similar experiences.
(05-01-2018 04:49 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]I bought my 50g new from Amazon.co.uk for 60 GBP when they were going cheap back in October 2014. It would cost more than twice as much to replace it now

If you don't shop around it will (there’s actually some sellers trying to sell for 3 times that +) !

I’ve just (only last week) bought a spare 50g , brand spanking new (still sealed) from amazon for £85 delivered
They’re still there as of right now that is...... EDIT: that seller has just pulled it today !
(05-01-2018 04:59 PM)dmmaster Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that the HP50G is no longer sold, there are many refurbish and old machines on the Amazon.

Rather buy new the HP Prime thatn to get something that will not work after 2-3 years.

It is sad but today HP does only sell HP prime for engineers.

I bought a used 50g of the first generation in 2013, which I use almost daily without any problems until today. Sure you can be unlucky with some devices, this is probably the exception.
Joerg
(05-01-2018 06:13 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]Why should a barely used calculator stop working after 2-3 years? Calculators normally last 10+ years.

Real calculators last 40+ years! ;-)
(05-01-2018 09:01 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2018 06:13 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]Why should a barely used calculator stop working after 2-3 years? Calculators normally last 10+ years.

Real calculators last 40+ years! ;-)

Then I guess my Dad's HP-15C is not a real calculator yet! ;-)
Reference URL's