HP Forums

Full Version: R/S program pausing CV vs CX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I tried searching the forum but was unable to find an answer to my question regarding the use of the R/S key during program execution. So forgive me if this has already been explained somewhere else.

I have copies of the 41C/CV and CX manuals and a CX calculator but I could not find an definitive answer so I'm hoping you all could help me.

Am I correct in my understanding that for a 41C or 41CV, pressing the R/S key during program execution will stop the program at its current step leaving the display in ALPHA mode with a subsequent press of the R/S key causing the current program to resume?

I ask as when I tried this with my CX, the program will stop and resume with subsequent use of the R/S key but the display reverts to the numeric display (not the ALPHA) display showing the contents of the X-register.

I noticed this for programs that I found written for the C and CV that did not have PSE or PROMPT command to slow down or halt program execution so that output data could be recorded. For the programs I wrote for my CX, I purposely included PSE and PROMPT commands so that I could record the output.

Thanks
(04-17-2018 04:44 PM)ID_girl Wrote: [ -> ]Am I correct in my understanding that for a 41C or 41CV, pressing the R/S key during program execution will stop the program at its current step

Yes.

(04-17-2018 04:44 PM)ID_girl Wrote: [ -> ]leaving the display in ALPHA mode

No. If Alpha is on (AON) the program stops in Alpha mode and shows the contents of the Alpha register (note the ALPHA annunciator in the display). If Alpha is off, which normally is the case, the program stops with the usual numeric display.

This applies to all HP41 versions.

(04-17-2018 04:44 PM)ID_girl Wrote: [ -> ]I ask as when I tried this with my CX, the program will stop and resume with subsequent use of the R/S key but the display reverts to the numeric display (not the ALPHA) display showing the contents of the X-register.

Sure. As long as you haven't explicitely turned Alpha mode on (with the AON command, or Alpha is on because you started the program in this mode), the program will stop with the usual X-display.

(04-17-2018 04:44 PM)ID_girl Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed this for programs that I found written for the C and CV that did not have PSE or PROMPT command to slow down or halt program execution so that output data could be recorded. For the programs I wrote for my CX, I purposely included PSE and PROMPT commands so that I could record the output.

?!? – all HP41, i.e. the 41C, the 41CV and the 41CX, have PSE and PROMPT commands that behave exactly the same way. As long as you do not use one of the special CX commands the programs will run on an 41CV exactly as they do on your CX.

Dieter
Dieter,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Your answers were exactly what I needed to know.

Best,

Christine
Reference URL's