HP Forums

Full Version: Monday Guardian Puzzles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gerald thanks for the remainder. Actually having some public collection of problems wouldn't be bad. Although didier already helped some times ago.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-935...l#pid81943

Quote:1) Two hipsters, Atticus and Abe, were arguing about whose electronic bicycle was the slowest. They decided to race them along a 100m track. They agreed that the bike reaching the finish line last would be the winner. The guys got on their bikes on the start line. But, predictably, they just stood there, since no one wanted to start first and risk being the first to finish. They had been immobile for hours when their pal Daisy showed up. She asked if anything was the matter, so they put down their bikes and walked over to her to explain. She said a few words, at which point they ran back, jumped on the bikes and sped to the finish line as fast as possible. What was her advice?
No idea for starters. Aside from snarky ones.

The other questions seems really those "vague" riddles. Not bad but they don't give much info on the context.

Quote:3) Three sisters receive the following gift: 7 crates of wine, 7 half-empty crates of wine and 7 empty crates. How do they divide the gift in such a way that each sister gets the same amount of wine and the same number of crates, without transferring wine from any crate to any other crate?
This seems more feasible witn a more clear context.
(04-09-2018 10:44 AM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:3) Three sisters receive the following gift: 7 crates of wine, 7 half-empty crates of wine and 7 empty crates. How do they divide the gift in such a way that each sister gets the same amount of wine and the same number of crates, without transferring wine from any crate to any other crate?

That one's quite simple unless I've misunderstood it.

Start by giving each sister 2 full crates. Then give one sister a full crate and an empty crate. Give the other 2 sisters 2 half-full crates. That leaves three half-full crates and six empty crates that you divide equally among the three. Each sister gets 3½ crates of plonk, 7 crates apiece and no wine was transferred from one crate to another. Or have I missed something obvious?
Quote:1) Two hipsters, Atticus and Abe, were arguing about whose electronic bicycle was the slowest. They decided to race them along a 100m track. They agreed that the bike reaching the finish line last would be the winner. The guys got on their bikes on the start line. But, predictably, they just stood there, since no one wanted to start first and risk being the first to finish. They had been immobile for hours when their pal Daisy showed up. She asked if anything was the matter, so they put down their bikes and walked over to her to explain. She said a few words, at which point they ran back, jumped on the bikes and sped to the finish line as fast as possible. What was her advice?
No idea for starters. Aside from snarky ones.
I think that her advice was: "swap your bikes".
(04-09-2018 11:17 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]I think that her advice was: "swap your bikes".

That would make sense with it being the last bike, not cyclist, across the line that wins.
1. answer:
3 3 1 (full)
1 1 5 (half)
3 3 1 (empty)
2. answer:
3 2 2 (full)
1 3 3 (half)
3 2 2 (empty)
(04-09-2018 11:17 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]I think that her advice was: "swap your bikes".
Hmm, since they care about the bike. It makes sense. As I would like my bike to win and I will go real fast with the other bike.

I was expecting some other tricks.
(04-09-2018 12:44 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]
Hmm, since they care about the bike. It makes sense. As I would like my bike to win and I will go real fast with the other bike.

I was expecting some other tricks.

No, this is a very old riddle, modernized, there the solution was: swap the horses.
Arno
My take at #4:

Quote:4) Which English word is pronounced the same when four of its five letters are removed?

Aitch
(04-10-2018 12:13 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote: [ -> ]My take at #4:

Quote:4) Which English word is pronounced the same when four of its five letters are removed?

Aitch

Very good! I had no idea it was spelled that way. I would have spelled it with itself, which I suppose proves your point. Smile
(04-10-2018 01:18 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]

Aitch

Very good! I had no idea it was spelled that way. I would have spelled it with itself, which I suppose proves your point. :)

I am quite disappointed to have missed the other solution: queue. The question implied there was only one word so I stopped at ‘H’ when reciting the alphabet in my mind as a final attempt to find the answer when walking downtown this afternoon (a, bee, cee, dee, ee, ef, gee, aitch – that’s it! :-)

Aitch
I'd like to stand on queue for an answer.
(04-09-2018 09:46 AM)Gerald H Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018...cycle-race

2.) Because more customers means more income. (Of course this has to be wrong because it ignores all those nationalities. I'm afraid I'll just groan when I hear the answer, but I am curious!)

5.) A mailbox.
(04-10-2018 01:31 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote: [ -> ]2.) Because more customers means more income. (Of course this has to be wrong because it ignores all those nationalities. I'm afraid I'll just groan when I hear the answer, but I am curious!)

Quoting the Guardian:
Solution: Because a hairdresser would get twice as much giving two haircuts than just one. The nationalities is a red herring.

Feel free to groan Smile
Reference URL's