HP Forums

Full Version: Which programs do you actually use in your calculator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
These are the programs I currently have in my 15C:

A: yth root of x
B: Easy Budget
C: log_y(x)
D: x mod y
E: roll 6 sided dice

B and E are just in there for fun because I haven't found a more serious use for them yet.

Which programs do you actually keep and use in your calculator and why? Or do you not use any user programs at all?
Depending on which calc you mean and "how often" it is used..

HP Prime:
AngStar (Angles between stars in astronomical use)

HP 35s:
Mostly equations

HP 28S/50G:
MPG/L10K (Conversion between miles per gallon / litres per 10 km)

42 (any flavor):
RelHumDew (Relative humidity and dew point based on wet and dry thermometer)

Apart from Prime prog., all self made and freely available upon request.
(04-02-2018 08:16 PM)michaelzinn Wrote: [ -> ]Which programs do you actually keep and use in your calculator and why?

I have two on a Ti85 which I once bought for 1 Euro and which I keep in a side pocket near the seat which I occupy at work.

"F" (the Ti85 only allows single characters as program names) calculates the amount of fuel that I have to ask the refueller for in different units (l, kg, gallons).

"D" calculates the difference of the outside air temperature from the standard atmosphere. Our on-board equipment is not showing this but it is useful for explaining why the aeroplane goes faster/slower and uses less/more fuel than expected.
TVM on most any and all machines (if not built-in)

Normal and inverse normal distribution (ideally, assumes mean of 0 and std dev of 1)

Students t and inverse

Covariance
I have a program in one of the HP-41CX that times film development, it beeps when I need to agitate and tells me when it is time to switch chemicals.

Sometimes I may try a game, which tends to vary, so I guess it does not really count.

HÃ¥kan
Interesting question!

On the 50g / Prime, what I use, in terms of libraries, I tend also to collect here (for the simple reason that I can hope to find it again later on, maybe expanded by the community):
- http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html
- http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=rpl:start

When I do programs, they variate a lot. One can see them here: https://app.assembla.com/spaces/various-...ms/general

Lately I am mostly focused on lists/collections of elements and randomization of data to process both on 50g and Prime.
(04-03-2018 08:30 AM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2018 08:34 PM)DA74254 Wrote: [ -> ]RelHumDew (Relative humidity and dew point based on wet and dry thermometer)

Is this published somewhere?

Ciao.....Mike

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=313

Edit:
It's on this forum as well..
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9763.html
Hmm, let's see...

Binomial distribution and negative binomial distribution get used frequently on many of my calculators. Ditto for prime factors (adapted from this old HP-67 Math Pac 2 program).

My 27S has a bunch of solver equations in it. Unit conversions, tapered IV rate calculation (trapezoid area, basically), drip-rate for gravity IV infusion, TVM with an introductory interest rate period, balls & urns (or "stars & bars") probability...

The 48G that I use solely as an alarm clock (due to a problem with the display annunciators) has a couple of programs for quickly setting an alarm for the next occurrence of 6:30 AM, or the next occurrence of the time specified on stack level 1.

My DM42 has a program for tabulating daily fluid I/O.

Also, I'm a heathen, and have a TI-84 Plus CE that I use often. I have an ETA program I use to estimate completion time of a process with a known current degree of completion and final value. It lets you select from several different curve fits, in case of a process that doesn't progress linearly. Comes in handy when I want to know what time I can expect SQL Server to finish restoring a ~1 TB backup. I've also adapted most of the algorithms in William M. Kolb's "Curve Fitting For Programmable Calculators" to the 84.
(04-03-2018 01:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I'm a heathen, and have a TI-84 Plus CE that I use often. I have an ETA program I use to estimate completion time of a process with a known current degree of completion and final value. It lets you select from several different curve fits, in case of a process that doesn't progress linearly. Comes in handy when I want to know what time I can expect SQL Server to finish restoring a ~1 TB backup. I've also adapted most of the algorithms in William M. Kolb's "Curve Fitting For Programmable Calculators" to the 84.

Nice! System administrator estimations?
Sunrise/sunset and moon new/full on my DM41. Occasionally hex-to-decimal and decimal-to-hex conversions on the DM41, too, although not as often as I thought when I keyed them in.

All the same and a banner printer on the DM42. I need to post that somewhere, too.
(04-03-2018 04:45 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018 01:36 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I'm a heathen, and have a TI-84 Plus CE that I use often. I have an ETA program I use to estimate completion time of a process with a known current degree of completion and final value. It lets you select from several different curve fits, in case of a process that doesn't progress linearly. Comes in handy when I want to know what time I can expect SQL Server to finish restoring a ~1 TB backup. I've also adapted most of the algorithms in William M. Kolb's "Curve Fitting For Programmable Calculators" to the 84.

Nice! System administrator estimations?

Pretty much. I'm a DBA/developer, and SQL Server is notorious for having lengthy processes that don't give you any completion time estimate. This program lets you log a data point using either the current time or a manually entered time, and specify the target value, number of most recent data points to use, and regression model (linear, log, exponential, power, quadratic, and inverse quadratic).

Here's the program file if anybody else has a use for it. Just launch it and use the menu to navigate.

http://dave.brittens.org/TI84PlusCE/ETA.8xp
Mostly I use my own programs. Of the included functions I use: ENTER, DROP, +, -, /, * mostly followed in frequence by IF constructs, FOR constructs.
(04-04-2018 12:00 AM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018 10:20 AM)DA74254 Wrote: [ -> ]It's on this forum as well..
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9763.html
Attached two more there: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-976...l#pid94495

Best,
M.

Thanks Smile
For my HP-15C, the standard programs have been:
1) Decimal -> Base
2) Base -> Decimal
3) TVM - Present Value Annuity Factor
4) TVM - Payment -> loan amount
5) TVM - Loan amount -> payment
6) Great circle distance
7) Great circle initial bearing

My HP-50g has lots installed, but the most frequently used is Freecell. Smile
Quite a few in my HP-48G, but 3 are used a lot and yet are so simple. They emulate the way my HP-41 does percentage calculations, leaving the first operand in the Y register so you can use it in further calculations.

Code:

@ A%
\<< OVER SWAP % \>>

@ CH%
\<< OVER SWAP %CH \>>

@ T% percent of total
\<< INV A% INV \>>

There's another program called "lastx" I use alot on the 48, again, to emulate the RPN functionality which I'm rather attached to..
On my calculator? Depends on which calculator. The upgraded fx9750gII has the grocery program I've referred to before in these forums, and also has a PCH (percentage change) program I wrote. i.e. feed it two figures, it'll tell you the percentage change (both up and down) between the two figures.

The grocery program has a rather crude sales tax calculator embedded as part of the source, formula looks a bit like this (with apologies for the BASIC):

Code:

BEGIN
'Initial tax rate percentage, adjustable
15 \-> N
(1-(100/(100+N))) \-> O
"Total"?\->G
Print "Tax: ",G*O
END

I don't actually know a better way to calculate that rate, though I'm pleased I worked this out for myself <grin>.

For apps on the 9750, I've also installed:
  • an editor
  • INSIGHT (a memory viewer)
  • FTune (for when I just have to speed things up)
  • Help applet found on the Slim, thankfully it works on my non-Slim calculator.
  • Physium (from Casio)
  • Geometry (also from Casio)
  • a Clock. Weird, as it never gets much use, but the Casio actually has an inbuilt timer.

The HP50G has another couple of programs supplied to me from a member on these forums (thanks) and somewhat fitted to purpose, related to summing grocery totals for a month (TMonth) and year (TYear). I think I sort of understand how they work now, but at least initially, it was like trying to read guacamole with a laser. And I'm still trying to debug what's wrong with an addition I made. Never mind, that's part of the fun of RPL.
  • Programs from Mervin E. Newton's tutorial, a good resource for people starting out.
  • A recent PI1K program (pi with a certain formula).
  • BTMON (which reminds me, batteries never last as long as I want, I have to change these)
  • PI50G
  • HPAUR programs
  • HLP49 - so useful I've finally ASN'ed it to a USER key, my one and only user key so far.
  • Others I can't remember.

And whats an alot anyhow?

(Post 196)
(04-05-2018 09:37 PM)Bill Duncan Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:

@ T% percent of total
\<< INV A% INV \>>

Suggestion: << OVER SWAP %T >> is more accurate (try running both programs on 5 ENTER 3), and faster, and doesn't call any other programs.
->Qpi on the 42 is pretty common.

I usually throw together quick and dirty programs as required and delete the next time I need one.

Pauli
TVM.
Recently https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7182 to answer incessant "how tall will I be?" questions on Quora with some scientific basis.
(04-24-2018 02:16 PM)David Hayden Wrote: [ -> ]TVM.
Recently https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7182 to answer incessant "how tall will I be?" questions on Quora with some scientific basis.

Quora sometimes is, well, obsessive on some questions. Some topics are still quite ok, others are full of "QI" and shallow stuff.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's