HP Forums

Full Version: Breakeven Point Equation Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the HP Prime's Help system and User's Guide, they both state that the calculator uses the equation Fixed + Quantity * Cost=Quantity*Sales + Profit in the Break-even Point solver. However, this equation does not yield the same result as the solver nor does it give the correct answer.

I believe the correct equation would be similar to Fixed + Quantity * Cost=Quantity * Sales - Profit.

In short, the HP Prime gets the correct answer. Only the equation displayed in the help system and the User's Guide is incorrect. I'm pointing this out to help HP.

On a side note, thank you HP for this powerful Finance APP! I'm cutting through problems like butter with it. I use the Prime all the time now. Fantastic machine. I also recommended the Prime to a friend of mine and he LOVES it too.
Yep, typo!

Of course, the equation is usually written out as:

Sales Price * Quantity - Cost * Quantity - Fixed = Profit

Might as well present it in an "income statement" format rather than the balance form as shown in the guide. Great catch on the + there. :-)
Thanks! I've passed it along for correction.

Glad you are liking the new finance app. As far as I can tell, it is now the best finance "calculator" ever made by anyone now.
Other than it being larger than my favorite 12c... I am very inclined to agree with you.

Although the 10bII+ runs a close (non-RPN) second.

The PRIME finance app is VERY well done.
Reference URL's