HP Forums

Full Version: 3d-printing a thinner HP41CX back cover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I enjoy my 41cx, but sometimes wish it was a little bit thinner. I think there are a couple of people on the forum who are skilled at 3d printed parts. So is it possible to redesign the back cover and make 41cx a little bit thinner?

thanks,
(02-26-2018 04:52 PM)atilla457 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

I enjoy my 41cx, but sometimes wish it was a little bit thinner. I think there are a couple of people on the forum who are skilled at 3d printed parts. So is it possible to redesign the back cover and make 41cx a little bit thinner?

While feasible to make the lower portion a small amount thinner (perhaps 1-2mm as it sits just above the CPU board), the thickness of the upper portion cannot be reduced because of the ports for the 4 x ROM/RAM modules. And since that cannot be reduced, very little would be gained by reducing just the lower section. So a lot of work for very little benefit IMHO.
(02-26-2018 05:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]the thickness of the upper portion cannot be reduced because of the ports for the 4 x ROM/RAM modules.

Unless you make it a real half-nut with 2 module ports Wink
(02-26-2018 07:02 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2018 05:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]the thickness of the upper portion cannot be reduced because of the ports for the 4 x ROM/RAM modules.

Unless you make it a real half-nut with 2 module ports Wink

I am so eternally grateful they did not implement that plan.

HÃ¥kan
(02-26-2018 07:02 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you make it a real half-nut with 2 module ports Wink

No! No ports and a Lipo battery. We could get rid of the mid-piece bezel and bottom on a half nut. Direct power onto the main board and get rid of the battery flex circuit...

I just checked my boneyard and have about a half-dozen full nuts in various states of repair but no half nuts.

Shopping we go!
(02-27-2018 04:58 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I just checked my boneyard and have about a half-dozen full nuts in various states of repair but no half nuts.

Isn't a half-dozen full nuts = a dozen half nuts?

:)
(02-27-2018 07:48 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2018 04:58 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I just checked my boneyard and have about a half-dozen full nuts in various states of repair but no half nuts.

Smile

Sigh. That's just nuts...

(Post 183)
(02-27-2018 04:58 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]No! No ports and a Lipo battery. We could get rid of the mid-piece bezel and bottom on a half nut. Direct power onto the main board and get rid of the battery flex circuit...

A null nut then.

Pauli
(02-27-2018 07:48 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]

Smile

And what do you store them in, a nut case? Tongue
(02-27-2018 11:01 AM)grsbanks Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2018 07:48 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't a half-dozen full nuts = a dozen half nuts?

Smile

And what do you store them in, a nut case? Tongue

Ok, I'm going nuts.
(02-27-2018 04:58 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2018 07:02 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you make it a real half-nut with 2 module ports Wink

No! No ports and a Lipo battery. We could get rid of the mid-piece bezel and bottom on a half nut. Direct power onto the main board and get rid of the battery flex circuit...

No ports? Then you have a DM-41!
Reference URL's