You're banned?
01-15-2018, 03:31 PM
You're banned?
Sitting in my chair comfortably - grabbing my smartphone to peruse this forum, I get the message "Sorry you're banned from this forum" #&% WTF? Sad

Now at the PC everything works fine - obviously. Looking at my smartphone again there is no "banned message" any longer. That's weird isn't it?

Any idea what might have happened? I had this a couple of days before already.

Günter (warning level 0%) Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2018, 03:59 PM
RE: You're banned?
It has to be a glitch in the matrix. I can't see you of all people being banned from here!
01-15-2018, 08:56 PM
(01-15-2018 03:59 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  It has to be a glitch in the matrix. I can't see you of all people being banned from here!

To often the same cat is running around. Yes that must be the matrix.

Time for further investigation. Neo where are you?

If I open this forum on either my PC and/or my Android tablet, I can successfully open this forum in Chrome on my Android smartphone also. Hm "kopfkratz" again.

Günter
01-15-2018, 09:02 PM
(01-15-2018 03:31 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Sitting in my chair comfortably - grabbing my smartphone to peruse this forum, I get the message "Sorry you're banned from this forum" #&% WTF? Sad
Now at the PC everything works fine - obviously. Looking at my smartphone again there is no "banned message" any longer. That's weird isn't it?
Any idea what might have happened? I had this a couple of days before already.
Günter (warning level 0%) Smile
Since we four moderators did nothing, it happened to no one else, and it doesn't happen at your computer but only on your "smart" phone (from which it disappears); I'd suspect your phone or your reading of the small screen.

What was identified as "banned" in the software was renamed by Dave as "on vacation". That is what it says on all the 70 or so spammers and people trying to lay malware eggs here. The six banned accounts from the king of multiple accounts are also identified as "on vacation" - not "banned".

There have been 3 spammers put on permanent vacation so far this year, which is a bit over average. However if you haven't signed up on your phone as "qkxpanbeulef" and tried sell a large red bridge north of San Francisco; you're probably safe.
01-15-2018, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 11:23 PM by Guenter Schink.)
Thanks Den,

I was not really afraid to have been banned. Now I have investigated further
  • I opened the forum with the Samsung browser. While that was open, I could also open the forum in Chrome
  • After leaving the forum in both browsers I switched from WiFi to 4G and opened the forum successful in Chrome
  • Subsequently I went back to WiFi with an unsuccessful attempt to open the forum
  • Next attempt was to open an incognito tab in Chrome. Successful opening the forum

Obviously something is going wrong in the matrix^WChrome browser on my "smart" phone. Perhaps someone has an idea.

Guenter
Edit: This is the message I read
Quote:I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrators should you have any questions
01-15-2018, 10:15 PM
It's possible that the phone is getting an address that was "goodbyspammer'd". If it's persistent and you can narrow it down to a problematic IP address, I can look for it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2018, 10:20 PM
It may be an IP ban.
The wifi router gets an external public ip address lease on a periodic basis from an dhcp service belonging to the ISP.
Depending on where that leased ip address is on a black list or not, some sites may check these blacklists and reject a connection, in a similar way that many mail service providers are checking mail domains looking for spammers.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-15-2018, 10:53 PM
(01-15-2018 10:20 PM)jebem Wrote:  It may be an IP ban.
The wifi router gets an external public ip address lease on a periodic basis from an dhcp service belonging to the ISP.
Depending on where that leased ip address is on a black list or not, some sites may check these blacklists and reject a connection, in a similar way that many mail service providers are checking mail domains looking for spammers.
Sounds like a low probability Jose, but it could be. Was it Arthur Conan Doyle or Data on Star Trek that said: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
01-15-2018, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 11:40 PM by Guenter Schink.)
(01-15-2018 10:15 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  It's possible that the phone is getting an address that was "goodbyspammer'd". If it's persistent and you can narrow it down to a problematic IP address, I can look for it.

Thanks for your replies. All my devices connect to the internet via the same Router/DSL-modem, therefore they communicate with the same IP-address.
Furthermore on the phone I'm able to access the forum with the Samsung browser which should definitively use the same IP-address as the Chrome browser on the same gadget.

And the miracle is, if some device has established a connection to the forum from within my LAN, Chrome on the phone also is able to connect to the forum.

I'll do some more tests and report. Don't worry as I have some workarounds for now.

Günter

[Edit]Another status:
I did temporarely deactivate IPv6 in my Router/DSL-modem and successfully connected Chrome on the phone to the forum. After activating IPv6 again the forum was still accessible. Hmm...
01-16-2018, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2018 09:24 AM by jebem.)
I misunderstood the question, sorry.

If i understand correctly, the only difference is on the client browser type used.
As far as i know, different browsers behave differently when negotiating the connection to a web server and the server itself recognizes the client device and browser and may issue a unique response based on that. Long shot yes but not impossible.

I am using chrome all the time on my LG smartphone and never had issues connecting from lisbon region.

Assuming that the chrome cache has been fully cleared and the issue remains, uninstalling it and installing from scratch may not hurt too much (saved urls are gone) and may fix the problem.

Edit:
While not very probable on smartphones, another possible cause would be a adware/virus that have compromised the browser application, in this case, Chrome. This is too common on Windows browsers to be ignored.
However, installing a anti-virus to scan the smartphone will not hurt either, and it can be uninstalled after doing the checking.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
(01-15-2018 10:53 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
Sounds like a low probability Jose, but it could be. Was it Arthur Conan Doyle or Data on Star Trek that said: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Hi, Den!
I see your point and agree with it.

IP ban or IP blocking are used on web servers protected by firewalls since long time ago to block spammers, crawlers and brute force attacks.

That said, I was not saying that this was the case here.
My only observation was to eliminate possible causes, as i do when troubleshooting issues on my customers.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-16-2018, 06:39 PM
(01-15-2018 10:53 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  

I think it was Data quoting Sherlock.

.....Art
01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
(01-16-2018 06:39 PM)larthurl Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 10:53 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Sounds like a low probability Jose, but it could be. Was it Arthur Conan Doyle or Data on Star Trek that said: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

I think it was Data quoting Sherlock.

.....Art

Sherlock Holmes; in "The Sign of Four" from 1890 Smile

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
01-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all your comments and advices.

For now everything seems to work normally. The action I had taken was to deactivate and reactivate IPv6 in my router. No clue here what really happened by that in the background.

Günter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)