Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone
12-30-2017, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2017 12:22 PM by lschroeder1947.)
Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone
Spend your time discovering and exploring math. No need for math students to worry about falling behind, instead be ahead of your class. Work on concepts, like 2.5, 2+1/2, and 5/2 being equivalent. Don't spend all your time on busy work.

From the thread.

(10-07-2017 10:55 AM)pier4r Wrote:  ...To my surprise on android there are not many alternatives that execute locally and do not emulate other CPUs, although android itself is quite old already. Maybe this is explained by the number of downloads that such software receive ( after years, less than 10k or 100k downloads for app like the hp prime, casio classpad, mathstudio express; compared to several millions of downloads for single scientific calculators that are not that bad, like hyper calc)...

It is time to have the Prime fulfill its mission. The discovery and exploration made possible by the Apps and CAS system are unlimited. The ability to keep progressing when a difficult math procedure knowledge would normally throw a roadblock.

I was in our new ATT phone store (so new that they had no local numbers yet). I had the HP Prime Free on a 7 in Android tablet. I turned the sales conversation around. Showed them how the free prime worked.

Load these Finance applications into your Free or Lite. Free does not have Finance app. People are impressed with results from Loan and Ira program.

Told them from Google Play Store or iPhone App Store their customers could get the app for phone or tablet free. I also had a copy of my ebook on my tablet. Told them their customers could put copy of book on their phone or tablet or google HP Prime for more information. Hope episodes like this can get Free and Pro numbers up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2017, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2017 04:13 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone
I have to say that the prime has quite some potential. The more I use it, the more I see it (especially due to the OS portability) and I am still surprised that some community libraries were developed only recently (the prime is out since 2013 if I remember correctly. So 4 years).

Anyway it is also likely that while some people may not be aware of such wonderful tools, the majority of people are simply not interested.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2017, 09:08 PM
(12-30-2017 04:13 PM)pier4r Wrote:  ... I am still surprised that some community libraries were developed only recently (the prime is out since 2013 if I remember correctly. So 4 years).

It shouldn't come as a surprise that old calculators have vast libraries and new ones very tiny and growing very slowly.
Besides the fact calculators are not exactly the latest fashion, it's a generational thing. The new generation are downloaders, not coders. They expect programs or applications to exist already, for anything they need done. They must think some magical green goblins come up with the code out of nowhere.
12-30-2017, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2017 09:32 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Why haven't those green goblins implemented an "Upvote" button here?
Oh.
I have never seen that button before on this site.
Goblins can be really quick, can't they?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
12-30-2017, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2017 10:37 PM by pier4r.)
(12-30-2017 09:08 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Besides the fact calculators are not exactly the latest fashion, it's a generational thing. The new generation are downloaders, not coders. They expect programs or applications to exist already, for anything they need done. They must think some magical green goblins come up with the code out of nowhere.

I would disagree on this. At least going through some specific subreddit you see, on this you may be right, a lot of people that starts project that will change everything and they end up doing less than half of the effort that you put in the most trivial source code file in the newRPL project; but then there are also some people that do quite some nice works (either extending existing libraries, or creating new ones).

It depends a lot on the person. Culture across generation may explain something but not everything.

So my idea was: the prime should be quite common, if anything at least as app for android. Therefore some people may be engaged by it and slowly build up libraries. 4 years have passed so it is not that there was no time to build them.

But then I forget that a lot of people do not even know hpcalc.org or hpmuseum.org/forum or comp.sys.h48, so they may share their efforts (if any) in this or that forum/social network/code repository disconnected from the well known ones.

Plus I also forget that, as you said, even older calcs do not have that huge amount of libraries. I mean the amazing listExt from David was developed in 2017, 14 years after the release of the 49g+ (and more if one considers the 48 series).

Maybe only the ti89 series is absolutely stunning in terms of libraries and applications for the original system.

edit: yes the ti89 is a good example how a thing really ubiquitous may catch the attention of enough people with a lot of ingenuity. One can just see the contest section of cemetech to see what I mean.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-31-2017, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 01:47 PM by lschroeder1947.)
As the author of TI calculator tutorials published by Cengage / Thomson Learning for College Algebra, College Trigonometry, Precalculus, Finite Math. and Applied Calculus and new HP Prime Algebra Fundamentals and Ti-Nspire Algebra Fundamentals books the importance of Prime's multiple platform strategy for both professionals and students is welcomed, appreciated, and a hugh benefit for the HP Prime.

While coordinating technology; overseeing all online courses; teaching Finite Math online and in-class development math courses, technical and vocational math courses, various transfer college math courses, elementary teacher prep courses, and computer programming courses; it was easy to see that CAS instruction was beneficial to a large segment of the college's student population.

With the addition of the TI-89 success rates of near 100% in College Algebra, Finite Math, Calculus for Business, Social and Natural Sciences were achieved. The TI-89 was not required, class time of 12 minutes a day devoted to it, additional instruction and support in Blackboard learning system and office. However, by midterm about everyone in these classes purchased an Ti-89. When done with their math many kept their 89's but some sold them as well.

I have since retired. Tried to influence remaining math instructors toward HP Prime and TI-Nspire CAS.

The first two attachment are from my TI-89 Thomson Learning / Cengage publishing. The HP Prime Pro family would be necessary for adding some of the more complex calculus functions and library apps. For high school algebra, College Algebra, Finite Math the Free / Lite more than adequate. Need to add some CAS var functions. See Opening Post for finance CAS vars for Free / Lite.

See this post for pivmat. HP Prime pivmat does not need number of row.

The third attachment is multiple screens possible with TI-Nspire and HP Prime calculators. The TI-Nspire use copyright symbol for comments and has a Notes application to make it easier to document your work but cheapest cost is for iPad CAS version with different interface than the handheld. NO Android CAS version except third party where you must install your own roms. Free multiple platform uniform version for HP Prime out ways comments and notes as you can document Prime using a word processor with Prime screenshots.

Attachment four and five is taking word processor file and turning into HP Prime eBook and Print on Demand Book. Attachment five if you drop the #cas and #end lines it will work in Free / Lite as well.

See post for eBook and POD info.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)