How does the DM42 accuracy compare to other calculators ?
12-22-2017, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 11:38 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: How does the DM42 accuracy compare to other calculators ?
(12-22-2017 11:11 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  
(12-22-2017 12:43 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  newRPL is capable of arbitrary precision which is better than either.

Pauli

Pauli: Since newRPL equipped calculators are better than either the DM42 or WP-34s, then that really does DEBUNK the Swiss Micro's claim of second to none!

Oh well, you're right (if we go for a not yet available OS - beta stage, IIRC - on a no more available hardware base).

I know... I too am playing devil's advocate here. Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2017, 11:59 AM
(12-22-2017 11:37 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Oh well, you're right (if we go for a not yet available OS - beta stage, IIRC - on a no more available hardware base).

We were just discussing this very point. Have a look at the page now Smile
Find all posts by this user
12-22-2017, 12:03 PM
(12-22-2017 11:59 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(12-22-2017 11:37 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Oh well, you're right (if we go for a not yet available OS - beta stage, IIRC - on a no more available hardware base).

We were just discussing this very point. Have a look at the page now :)

Hahaha... Precise wording is a must! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2017, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 12:33 PM by Gilles59.)
(12-22-2017 11:11 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  I wasn't aware that newRPL had arbitrary precision! That is amazing for a portable calculator. I thought this capability only existed on desktop computers. I will have to give newRPL a try on my HP-50G. Thanks for the tip.

New RPL

Code:
1001 SETPREC  @ Set Precision to 1001 digits
0 ACOS 2 *    @ PI = 2*ACOS(0) and you get the exact 1000 first digits of PI

Time : 0sec (1000 loops of this take 0.85995 sec)
12-22-2017, 07:00 PM
(12-21-2017 07:01 PM)Dieter Wrote:  By pressing CPX on the 34s you do not tell the calculator to return a complex result. Instead, you tell it to calculate the function of a complex number in X and Y (instead of a real number in X). Of course the result may be real: Try 1 ENTER 0 CPX x² and get –1 as the correct answer.

So there is no need to know if the result is going to be complex or not. CPX tells the calculator that your input is complex.

That is likely technically correct, but when I tried taking the log of -2 on the 34s, it tells me domain error, or something like that.

While on say, my 42s, it simply returns a complex number (since I have complex results turned on). I suppose the problem with that method for the 34s is that you would have to have some indicator that there is a complex result stored in both the x and y register. Maybe there is a way to do that (some complex results equivalent switch).

So in this case, I tried ln(-2), received an error, and then did ln(-2 +i0), which returns the expected result. That's why I was saying you almost had to know the result was going to be complex. Unless there is some cpxres switch I haven't found (likely).
12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
(12-22-2017 07:00 PM)Logan Wrote:  So in this case, I tried ln(-2), received an error, and then did ln(-2 +i0), which returns the expected result. That's why I was saying you almost had to know the result was going to be complex.

OK, I understand your point better now.

(12-22-2017 07:00 PM)Logan Wrote:  While on say, my 42s, it simply returns a complex number (since I have complex results turned on). I suppose the problem with that method for the 34s is that you would have to have some indicator that there is a complex result stored in both the x and y register. Maybe there is a way to do that (some complex results equivalent switch).

In a way the 34s does this automatically. A result of a complex operation is displayed in two lines: the real part in the lower line (7-segment display) and the imaginary part above in the dot matrix display. So for ln(–2) it shows 0,693147... and above this "i 3,14159265". You can also permanently turn on the Y-register-view: the MODE menu has two special YDON and YDOFF commands for this.

Dieter
12-22-2017, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 08:31 PM by BarryMead.)
Swiss Micros wisely changed their claim about the calculator's precision which now reads.
"Most precise calculator on the worldwide market - second to none!"

This is now a true statement, since the WP-34s, and the calculators needed to run newRPL are no longer sold on the worldwide market. They have been discontinued as new devices, and must be purchased on eBay or other off-market sources.

I started tinkering with newRPL vers 1001 on my HP-50G. I am very impressed so far, but have only just started to learn to use it.
12-22-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 08:38 PM by Gilles59.)
Quote: calculation of -2 ln e^x

NewRPL, default 32 digits precision

Code:

-2 ln e^x ->RECT
Result : -2.    (in NewRPL -2. means ~-2   For exemple 2 is exactly 2 but 2. is 2 +/- Epsilon)

To Claudio : I dont understand something :
why the sequence << -2 ln e^x >> returns a result in Polar mode? Did I miss something in the setup?
12-22-2017, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 08:54 PM by Gilles59.)
(12-22-2017 08:10 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I started tinkering with newRPL vers 1001 on my HP-50G. I am very impressed so far, but have only just started to learn to use it. Can anyone give me a quick tip on how to define a variable or mode using "Arbitrary Precision". Also if a number is very large, how does one scroll the screen to view the sections of the number. I did scan and search the documentation before asking this question. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

One thing not obvious in NewRPL is that the menu dont work in the same way as a stock HP50g.
See : The interface

If you want a precision of 64 DIGITS, do :
64 P SYSTEM SETTING SETPREC

or use the autocompletion :
64 ENTER ALPHA SE ALPHA&Down (etc.) ALPHA&Right ENTER

Or 64 ALPHA SPC SETPREC ENTER

To see all the digits of a number at the top of the stack: DownArrow

To store a number in a variable, same thing that a stock HP50g, but the STO> key is now the 'HIST' key. All this is explain here : The keyboard

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)