What computer are you reading this with?
12-20-2017, 04:24 PM
RE: What computer are you reading this with?
(12-20-2017 03:48 PM)Accutron Wrote:  They are not configured in a RAID array. I have 16TB of storage in the computer, with a 16TB backup in two external USB3 enclosures. About half of my files are videos, while the other half are documents, software, etc. Just the complete MAME set by itself is about 2.5TB. I also have an extremely large reference library, and a commercial artwork portfolio which includes things like high resolution billboard designs. My drives are almost full at the moment, so I'll be buying another pair of 8TB drives in the near future.

Thanks. A lot of videos and half for backup answers that for sure. It's amazing how much 'stuff' we can accumulate over time. Having several TB of stuff used to seem ridiculously large, now it feels cramped. How times change as the price of storage continues its decades long free-fall, and more content becomes digital.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2017, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 08:38 PM by Bunuel66.)
Home made, MB: Minix H61M, CPU: I3 2100 @3.1 GHz Mem:4GB Xubuntu 16.04
Have a look:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Ipad last version.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
12-20-2017, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2017 09:37 PM by pier4r.)
(12-20-2017 04:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks. A lot of videos and half for backup answers that for sure. It's amazing how much 'stuff' we can accumulate over time. Having several TB of stuff used to seem ridiculously large, now it feels cramped. How times change as the price of storage continues its decades long free-fall, and more content becomes digital.

Well some years ago my home server had 3 TB of multimedia data (mostly videos), but to be honest parting from those (once seen) was not bad.

Now I save the pictures of my family and those are more precious from a subjective point of view. For the moment I have 170 gb of family multimedia data but they are bound to grow. If I do videos of 2-4 minutes, those are 200 mb minimum. Each picture is around 2 mb.

For such precious things (value is subjective, although could be agreed upon by many people, like the amount of people here caring for calculators) I guess it is inevitable that we need more and more storage.

My first home server was a self assembled double pentium 3 with 6TB of disk space (various 1 or 2TB hd attached via usb). A workhorse, but not failsafe. Now it is 2000+ Km away, idle.

Now I have a qnap TS 431 P (that I keep on the balcony) with raid1 , with two disks of 2 TB each. The disks alone were 140 € and the entire setup was 360€ + time (and still I saved a lot of time compared to an assembled setup). Storage with disks 24/7 and raid is not exactly cheap. At least not for many people. (once should consider also the total cost of ownership, therefore continuous monitoring, electricity, etc)

The next step will be renting 1 TB out of one drive for 7€/month. To have a online backup of the main collection of the family data. The advantage is that it will be easier to share and it will reduce the TCO of having another 2 disks in raid 1.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-20-2017, 10:53 PM
iPhone 7
12-20-2017, 11:46 PM
iPhone 7
12-21-2017, 12:03 AM
1) MacBook Pro (17", Mid 2010, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, macOS 10.12.6) and holding on it until Apple release a MacBook Pro 15" with 32GB+ RAM & 1TB+ SSD.
2) iPhone SE (2016, A9, 2GB RAM, 64GB Flash, iOS 11.0.3)
12-21-2017, 06:59 PM
iPhone 5s. I find it so convenient for reading the news and participating in forums, I fire up one of my MacBook Airs only when I want to do something that really requires the bigger screen and physical keyboard.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2017, 07:57 PM
(12-21-2017 06:59 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  iPhone 5s. I find it so convenient for reading ...

I would have to wear reading glasses in order to read anything on my iPhone 5 (actually not mine but the company phone). This is why I much prefer my 17" Macbook which I can still use without glasses :-)
12-21-2017, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 08:13 PM by Thomas Okken.)
(12-21-2017 07:57 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 06:59 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  iPhone 5s. I find it so convenient for reading ...

I would have to wear reading glasses in order to read anything on my iPhone 5 (actually not mine but the company phone). This is why I much prefer my 17" Macbook which I can still use without glasses :-)

I'm so nearsighted that the 4" screen is perfect for me for reading without glasses. I can read the New York Times front page on it without zooming (desktop version, in portrait mode!), watch movies on it, etc. Smile
12-21-2017, 08:21 PM
(12-21-2017 08:06 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I can read the New York Times front page on it without zooming (desktop version, in portrait mode!), watch movies on it, etc. Smile

Those days are long over I'm afraid... I now have to use magnifying glasses for soldering and other tinkering stuff like replacing batteries in watches. When they introduced "electronic flight bags" (= paperless working environment in aircraft) in our company a couple of years ago our young first officers all wanted iPad minis. Luckily we older ones are the majority and so we got full sized iPads instead.
12-21-2017, 08:49 PM
(12-21-2017 08:21 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 08:06 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I can read the New York Times front page on it without zooming (desktop version, in portrait mode!), watch movies on it, etc. Smile

Those days are long over I'm afraid...

I think you misunderstood. I'm in my early fifties, and my lenses have lost the ability to pull focus almost completely... But because of my nearsightedness, they are now forever stuck focusing at about 10 cm from my eyeballs. That's why 4" is perfect for me without glasses; I need to put on my glasses when I'm working with larger screens.
12-21-2017, 10:31 PM
(12-21-2017 08:49 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 08:21 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Those days are long over I'm afraid...

I think you misunderstood. I'm in my early fifties, and my lenses have lost the ability to pull focus almost completely... But because of my nearsightedness, they are now forever stuck focusing at about 10 cm from my eyeballs. That's why 4" is perfect for me without glasses; I need to put on my glasses when I'm working with larger screens.

That's it, in bed reading without glasses on my phone is fine, I ususally use my Surface Book connected to a 22'' monitor to work, so I have two screens and this I my preferred environment, I do math stuff on the small screen of the surface (writing Latex for my pupils...) and read what I need on the bigger screen.
Arno

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)