DM 42 Connect to PC
12-19-2017, 08:10 AM
DM 42 Connect to PC
Hello
I tried to connect my DM 42 to a PC (Win 7 32 bit) . I got the message "the driver was not successfully installed" several times. Tried Another PC w Win 7 64 bit and got the same message.
Then I tried a third PC and wiggled the contact to the calculator. The drive now showed up. But when just touching the contact the Connection was lost again.
I dont know if a special cabel is needed , but I used 2 different cables for my Samsung Galaxy phone. Seems they are the right ones, or am I wrong?
Anyone else had this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2017, 08:27 AM
RE: DM 42 Connect to PC
A standard μUSB cable with a data connection should work fine.

Can you confirm that these cables work fine with your phone and if so, head on over to the SwissMicros forum, sign up and raise the issue there?

Not sure what the rules are about posting a link to another forum from here but if you run a google search for "SwissMicros forum" you'll find it.
12-19-2017, 02:08 PM
No problem adding links:

https://forum.swissmicros.com

--Bob Prosperi
12-19-2017, 04:32 PM
You may see that until you actually go into the calculator and turn on the USB storage capability:

Setup>File>Activate USB Disk

Will it connect then?
12-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I connect the cable in PC and DM42 and then Setup>File>Activate USB Disk.
Sometimes it connects but as soon as the cable is moved slightly it looses connection. The connector in the calculator does not sit firm. Dont have any problems w these cables to my phone or tablet. Might buy a new cable and test.
If ther's still problems it might be a defect connector in the DM42.

Logan, if you have a DM42, does the connector in DM42 sit firm or can you move it?
12-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Feels firm to me.
12-19-2017, 05:56 PM
(12-19-2017 05:19 PM)Graan Wrote:  If ther's still problems it might be a defect connector in the DM42.

Maybe a silly question but are you pushing the connector in far enough? There should be a noticeable tactile "snap" as it goes into place.
12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
My (production) unit has a similar issue. Most times it will start when I press 3 to enter USB disk mode, but not always; I may have to move the calculator around, thereby mildly 'wiggling' the connector.

Also, once connected, when I move the DM42 to a new place on the desk (out of the way) it will often (30% of the time?) disconnect.

It's not a big hassle, but I am concerned about the possibility of losing the connection during a firmware update.

I will test with multiple cables and inspect for dirt/dust before panicking.

--Bob Prosperi
12-19-2017, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 06:15 PM by Graan.)
Might be the issue. I cannot push it in long enough. There is a gap between the cover and connector. The connector might be mounted too far from the slot in the cover. I think the uUsb connector doesnt go far enough thats why it moves.
Of 10 attempts it only connects about 3 times.
12-19-2017, 09:00 PM
(12-19-2017 06:11 PM)Graan Wrote:  Might be the issue. I cannot push it in long enough. There is a gap between the cover and connector. The connector might be mounted too far from the slot in the cover. I think the uUsb connector doesnt go far enough thats why it moves.
Of 10 attempts it only connects about 3 times.

In order to confirm that it's related to that, you simply could remove the back, don't worry it doesn't hurt. Then the USB socket is freely accessible.

In principle I'd suggest to report any issues in the forum of SwissMicros. There the help might be more qualified - and Michael is very responsive.

Günter
12-21-2017, 06:54 AM
The solution is to grind off some material of the upper part of the usb connector. Some contacts are obviously different with a shorter metal part (or more plastic). The plastic of the connector will then press against the cover of the DM42 and preventing the contact to seat.
I got this advice from Michael at Swiss Micros, thank you.
He said some contacts are somehow different and it seems all my Samsung charger cables (4) are like this.
So after some grinding, it works fine.
12-21-2017, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 09:40 PM by larthurl.)
(12-21-2017 06:54 AM)Graan Wrote:  He said some contacts are somehow different and it seems all my Samsung charger cables (4) are like this.
So after some grinding, it works fine.

I tried connecting my DM42 to my laptop this morning. Worked just fine and I saw the contents of the DM42 once I activated USB Disk from the Fle Menu.

The USB cable also seemed to not using the battery since I saw the USB symbol in the upper right corner when I plugged it in which I now know means the calculator was drawing power from the USB..

Pretty cool to see the .BMP files on the calculator. I assume I could transfer my own and therefore have my own images rotate on the calculator screen.

And I really like the idea of storing and recalling programs to my PC via USB.

This is the cable I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD5...UTF8&psc=1

.....Art
12-21-2017, 06:15 PM
(12-21-2017 06:06 PM)larthurl Wrote:  The USB cable also seemed to be charging the battery since I saw the USB symbol in the upper right corner when I plugged it in.

It was most certainly *not* recharging the battery because the battery is not rechargeable!

The DM42 was simply drawing power from the USB port instead of drawing it from the battery.
12-21-2017, 07:38 PM
(12-21-2017 06:06 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I assume I could transfer my own and therefore have my own images rotate on the calculator screen.

Yes, you can create and download your own images and it will cycle through all the files in the OFFIMG folder.

The image format is: 400 x 240, 1-bit color depth (aka b&w), Windows BMP file format.

If you use Windows Paint to create your files, set the file properties as above and save the file, before you paste or draw into your image (then of course save again when done editing), otherwise the dithering won't come out right and the file will look horrible.

If there are no files in the OFFIMG folder, the OS will use one that's in the ROM image.

You can also get a blank screen when powered-off by creating a blank BMP file and copying just that file to OFFIMG. But what fun is that?

--Bob Prosperi
12-21-2017, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 09:47 PM by larthurl.)
(12-21-2017 06:15 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 06:06 PM)larthurl Wrote:  The USB cable also seemed to be charging the battery since I saw the USB symbol in the upper right corner when I plugged it in.

It was most certainly *not* recharging the battery because the battery is not rechargeable!

The DM42 was simply drawing power from the USB port instead of drawing it from the battery.

I STAND corrected.

And why did it say 10% when I toggled out of the Menu?
12-21-2017, 09:46 PM
(12-21-2017 07:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 06:06 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I assume I could transfer my own and therefore have my own images rotate on the calculator screen.

Yes, you can create and download your own images and it will cycle through all the files in the OFFIMG folder.

The image format is: 400 x 240, 1-bit color depth (aka b&w), Windows BMP file format.

If you use Windows Paint to create your files, set the file properties as above and save the file, before you paste or draw into your image (then of course save again when done editing), otherwise the dithering won't come out right and the file will look horrible.

If there are no files in the OFFIMG folder, the OS will use one that's in the ROM image.

You can also get a blank screen when powered-off by creating a blank BMP file and copying just that file to OFFIMG. But what fun is that?

Thanks, Bob. Can I also take an existing image (of whatever), convert it to the correct format either in Paint or some other tool, and use that?

.....Art
12-21-2017, 10:25 PM
(12-21-2017 09:46 PM)larthurl Wrote:  Thanks, Bob. Can I also take an existing image (of whatever), convert it to the correct format either in Paint or some other tool, and use that?

Yes, but just how you do so depends on which program you use. For Windows Paint, included in every version of Windows, create a new file with the specified properties first, then copy your source and paste it into the new file, save it, then just copy it into the DM42 via the convenient USB Flash drive connection.

Once you've done it once or twice, it takes only seconds to make another one.

I made this one (copy below converted to .jpg to upload here) the night before HHC so that it wouldn't get lost as it was handed around.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

--Bob Prosperi
12-22-2017, 06:09 AM
(12-21-2017 09:38 PM)larthurl Wrote:  And why did it say 10% when I toggled out of the Menu?

Because you were browsing the built-in help file and you were 10% of the way down it maybe?
12-22-2017, 10:13 AM
I noted when creating pictures for DM42 that , at leat in Paintshop Pro , you can select different reduction models when converting the picture getting different results.

Nearest Color: give not so nice result. Most black compact.
Ordered Dither: Looks like old matrix print
Error Diffusion: Gave best result.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)