HP key Notes wanted
11-22-2017, 09:50 PM
HP key Notes wanted
I'm looking for Key Notes v7 and v8.
Does anyone know where I can find these?
I've done various searches to no avail.

Thanks in advance

.....Art
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2017, 01:19 AM
RE: HP key Notes wanted
(11-22-2017 09:50 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I'm looking for Key Notes v7 and v8.
Does anyone know where I can find these?
I've done various searches to no avail.

Thanks in advance

.....Art

Both issues are included in the document set from another prominent HP-41 enthusiast website (can't provide a link, but it should be easy to figure out).

Though they are officially numbered V7N1 and V8N2, the latter is really V7N2 (the final issue). Henry Horn admitted it was basically a typo.

V7N1 was Jan-Mar, 1983
V8N2 was Aug, 1983 (though I recall it actually was mailed a lot later than that).

--Bob Prosperi
11-23-2017, 01:24 AM
(11-23-2017 01:19 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Both issues are included in the document set from another prominent HP-41 enthusiast website (can't provide a link, but it should be easy to figure out).

Also available here.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?content=Key%20Notes
11-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Thanks Bob and Dave. I found them exactly where you said they'd be.

The reason I was looking for these is that I was heavily into all things HP-41 while working at Bell Labs in the 1980s. I even did my MS thesis comparing RPN and AES entry methods using an HP-41c as the instrumentation (I simulated both methods on the HP with wait states to make timing compatible). I also did the data capture using a HP-IL cassette drive and did the data analysis using the HP-41 Stat Pac.

I remember sending pictures, analysis and results of the experiment to Henry Horn at Key Notes and I thought he published a brief piece in one of the KeyNote issues.

I bought the latest thumb drive, searched the KeyNote issues and can't seem to find it. Also did not see it in the two other issues you referred me to.
Perhaps my memory is faulty. I don't know.

.....Art Leyenberger
11-28-2017, 11:38 PM
(11-28-2017 08:54 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I bought the latest thumb drive, searched the KeyNote issues and can't seem to find it. Also did not see it in the two other issues you referred me to.

Art - is it possible your article was sent to PPC instead of HP? There have been many instances where this happened, so it may be worth checking out.

The ENTIRE set of PPC (and related) journals is available from Jake Schwartz, here:

http://www.pahhc.org/ppccdrom.htm

Like the MoHPC document set, this collection is huge, amazing and worth every penny.

Good luck.

--Bob Prosperi
11-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.

As an owner of an HP-65 since 1976, I belonged to the HP-65 User's Group and later the PPC. Should be fun re-reading stuff I haven't seen or even thought of in 4 decades or so Wink .
.....Art

(11-28-2017 11:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-28-2017 08:54 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I bought the latest thumb drive, searched the KeyNote issues and can't seem to find it. Also did not see it in the two other issues you referred me to.

Art - is it possible your article was sent to PPC instead of HP? There have been many instances where this happened, so it may be worth checking out.

The ENTIRE set of PPC (and related) journals is available from Jake Schwartz, here:

Like the MoHPC document set, this collection is huge, amazing and worth every penny.

Good luck.
11-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Well, Bob. Thanks to you I've already uncovered an answer to a puzzling question.

Sometime in the 1980s, my father and I went to a calculator conference in Maryland. Turns out it was the PPC conference in Rockville in 1981. I learned that from Jake's page you gave me. And I've ordered his set of materials.

Another mystery solved.

.....Art

(11-29-2017 03:59 PM)larthurl Wrote:  Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.

As an owner of an HP-65 since 1976, I belonged to the HP-65 User's Group and later the PPC. Should be fun re-reading stuff I haven't seen or even thought of in 4 decades or so Wink .
.....Art

(11-28-2017 11:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Art - is it possible your article was sent to PPC instead of HP? There have been many instances where this happened, so it may be worth checking out.

Good luck.
11-30-2017, 02:35 AM
(11-29-2017 09:38 PM)larthurl Wrote:  Sometime in the 1980s, my father and I went to a calculator conference in Maryland. Turns out it was the PPC conference in Rockville in 1981. I learned that from Jake's page you gave me. And I've ordered his set of materials.

You beat me, my first HHC was in 1983. I attended HHC's for many years, then in late-90's wandered off into other facets of life, but have been attending again since 2012 or so.

They are tremendous fun, you should try to attend if you can. Info on the 2017 HHC can be seen here.

--Bob Prosperi
11-30-2017, 06:17 PM
(11-30-2017 02:35 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 09:38 PM)larthurl Wrote:  Sometime in the 1980s, my father and I went to a calculator conference in Maryland. Turns out it was the PPC conference in Rockville in 1981. I learned that from Jake's page you gave me. And I've ordered his set of materials.

You beat me, my first HHC was in 1983. I attended HHC's for many years, then in late-90's wandered off into other facets of life, but have been attending again since 2012 or so.

They are tremendous fun, you should try to attend if you can. Info on the 2017 HHC can be seen here.

Interesting you should say that, Bob.
I stumbled upon the HHC 2017 and others on youtube and that sort of re-kindled my interested/collecting ,mania for all things HP calculators.

I sold off my rather vast collection on eBay in the early 2000s, but I now find I'm buying back some things I should not have sold (current thinking).

I was thinking of attending the 2018 HHC if there is one, especially if can be on the east coast somewhere.

btw, I have a youtube channel where I review watches, and other collecting stuff. I am in the process of preparing several calculator-related videos. It all brings back so many great memories.

.....Art
11-30-2017, 07:11 PM
(11-30-2017 06:17 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I sold off my rather vast collection on eBay in the early 2000s, but I now find I'm buying back some things I should not have sold (current thinking).

I was thinking of attending the 2018 HHC if there is one, especially if can be on the east coast somewhere.

I am in the process of preparing several calculator-related videos. It all brings back so many great memories.

Well, you will pay FAR more today for those machines you sold than they were sold for then. But I get it; I've sold or traded a few items, and eventually regret getting rid of nearly every one. I was able to get back some of my original 80's 71B ROM Modules (the exact same ones) I sold several years ago at HHC. That made me very happy (Thanks Jackie!)

Although not decided yet, it is likely HHC 2018 will be on the left coast, as it has not been there in several years. Also, to a seeming majority of attendees, Nashville is somehow deemed the East coast... but I digress.

Please do share links here once you make the videos. Even if you think they may not cover new ground, they are always of interest and often lead to new and interesting discussions.

--Bob Prosperi
11-30-2017, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 09:27 PM by larthurl.)
(11-30-2017 07:11 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 06:17 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I sold off my rather vast collection on eBay in the early 2000s, but I now find I'm buying back some things I should not have sold (current thinking).

I am in the process of preparing several calculator-related videos. It all brings back so many great memories.

Well, you will pay FAR more today for those machines you sold than they were sold for then. But I get it; I've sold or traded a few items, and eventually regret getting rid of nearly every one. I was able to get back some of my original 80's 71B ROM Modules (the exact same ones) I sold several years ago at HHC. That made me very happy (Thanks Jackie!)

Although not decided yet, it is likely HHC 2018 will be on the left coast, as it has not been there in several years. Also, to a seeming majority of attendees, Nashville is somehow deemed the East coast... but I digress.

Please do share links here once you make the videos. Even if you think they may not cover new ground, they are always of interest and often lead to new and interesting discussions.

________
My YT channel - 1st video mentioning calculator starting at about 9:00 minutes in.
much more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv7VXzKuq_g&t=234s

.....Art
12-04-2017, 10:54 PM
(11-30-2017 06:17 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I was thinking of attending the 2018 HHC if there is one, especially if can be on the east coast somewhere.
I hope you can attend. What I've found is that if I have to get on an airplane, the cost doesn't change much whether the destination is Nashville, Denver, Reno or San Diego. So please don't rule out a west-coast conference until you've checked actual airfares.

Hope to see you at HHC-2018, my friend-to-be!
Dave
12-05-2017, 07:57 PM
(12-04-2017 10:54 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 06:17 PM)larthurl Wrote:  I was thinking of attending the 2018 HHC if there is one, especially if can be on the east coast somewhere.
I hope you can attend. What I've found is that if I have to get on an airplane, the cost doesn't change much whether the destination is Nashville, Denver, Reno or San Diego. So please don't rule out a west-coast conference until you've checked actual airfares.

Hope to see you at HHC-2018, my friend-to-be!
Dave

Seems like the HHC attendees are my kind of people Wink
would definitely be fun

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)