Release: HP-41CL update via HP-IL - now Windows compatible
12-04-2017, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 12:54 PM by Geir Isene.)
Release: HP-41CL update via HP-IL - now Windows compatible
We have the first release of the HP-41CL_update solution.

Github repo: https://github.com/isene/hp-41cl_update

From the release page (https://github.com/isene/hp-41cl_update/releases):

Quote:This is the tested working release of the HP-41CL_update solution that makes it possible to update an HP-41CL calculator via HP-IL using the PILbox and a PC with Linux/*BSD/MacOS/X.

Next release aims to make the solution working also for Windows.

To download and use the solution, clone this GitHub repository and follow the instructions in the README.md file.

Thanks to HÃ¥kan and Joachim. Without their work, this would not have seen the light of day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Release: HP-41CL update via HP-IL
I believe I now have a program that will run equally well on all platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD). Could someone with Windows check if this works fine?

Attached File(s)
.gz  HP-41CL_update.rb.gz (Size: 2 KB / Downloads: 14)
12-07-2017, 11:19 PM
RE: Release: HP-41CL update via HP-IL - now Windows compatible (testing needed)
If I can get one confirmation from a Windows user that the Ruby script works as intended, I'll release an updated v.1.1 :-)
12-09-2017, 02:33 AM
The Ruby script works fine with the supplied example data. I think a Python version of the HP41CL_update script will be needed for others to use. I'll tinker around with that this weekend...

~Mark

"Don't assume quotations pulled from the Internet are genuine."
-- George Washington
12-09-2017, 12:29 PM
(12-09-2017 02:33 AM)mfleming Wrote:  The Ruby script works fine with the supplied example data. I think a Python version of the HP41CL_update script will be needed for others to use. I'll tinker around with that this weekend...

~Mark

After the initial working verson 0.5 of the Python version, I came to the conclusion that Python as a language is so unelegant compared to Ruby that I decided to drop it.
12-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Version 1.1 released. Cleaner code, OS independent (Windows compatible):

https://github.com/isene/hp-41cl_update/...s/tag/v1.1
12-09-2017, 04:34 PM
RE: Release: HP-41CL update via HP-IL - now Windows compatible
(12-09-2017 12:29 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  After the initial working verson 0.5 of the Python version, I came to the conclusion that Python as a language is so unelegant compared to Ruby that I decided to drop it.

Hard to argue with that! You see this complaint all the time about C in the embedded world, yet it still shows up in first place in the annual language top ten list of embedded programmer surveys. Ah well, at least it's not Perl. My virus checker is configured to quarantine anything with a .pl extension Smile

BTW, I like the help output.

~Mark

"Don't assume quotations pulled from the Internet are genuine."
-- George Washington
12-09-2017, 07:44 PM
12-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Having done a multitude of tests, I can now conclude that updating the CL and saving ROMS (and RAM, XM, MMU etc.) to my PC via HP-IL and the PILbox is stable and fast. In fact, it is on par with using the built-in CL serial connection (maybe a couple of seconds slower) with export/import of 16-bit images and faster with HEPAX compressed 10-bit images. The added benefit is of course that I also have the rest of the HP-IL world at my fingertips, with easy printing of FOCAL programs, saving programs, export/import of ascii and data files etc.
12-16-2017, 07:23 PM
(12-15-2017 12:47 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Having done a multitude of tests, I can now conclude that updating the CL and saving ROMS (and RAM, XM, MMU etc.) to my PC via HP-IL and the PILbox is stable and fast. In fact, it is on par with using the built-in CL serial connection (maybe a couple of seconds slower) with export/import of 16-bit images and faster with HEPAX compressed 10-bit images. The added benefit is of course that I also have the rest of the HP-IL world at my fingertips, with easy printing of FOCAL programs, saving programs, export/import of ascii and data files etc.
Thankyou Geir, waiting to try your method asap thankyou Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)