User key to toggle to and from RPN
11-30-2017, 09:28 PM
User key to toggle to and from RPN
hi,
to toggle to and from RPN in Home we need about 4-5 clic (Shift-Settings, tap on Entry, tap on RPN or Textbook, ESC), it's boring to pass often from Textbook to RPN and viceversa.
I need a suitable user key to do that. Is it possible to use, i.e. Shift-User-Home, and how?

Better it would be to have a specific key on the Prime :-)

I'm having a great nostalgia for RPN also if I believe that on the Prime Textbook is more efficient for the things that I do on it...
However, if it is not so useful, it could be a little curiosity: how to?

thank you
salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2017, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 10:08 PM by ekeppel.)
RE: User key to toggle to and from RPN
I use a slightly modified version of the Entry Mode Switcher (found elsewhere in the forums).

KEY K_View()
BEGIN
Entry:=(Entry+1) MOD 3;
STARTVIEW(-1,1);
TEXTOUT_P(STRINGFROMID(1903+Entry),G0,2,207,2,RGB(255,0,0));
//FREEZE;
WAIT(.5);
END;

To change modes, just hit Shift - Help - View.

EDIT:
If all you want is a most basic toggle between RPN and Textbook, without feedback on the current mode and skipping Algebraic, you can use this (also not my work, but found here on the forums):

KEY K_View()
BEGIN
IF Entry == 0
THEN Entry:=2
ELSE Entry:=0;
END;
END;

Of course you can replace K_View in these examples with whatever user key you like. Hopefully one of these does what you are looking for. :-)

Eric
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2017, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 10:13 PM by ekeppel.)
I just realized that I never use Algebraic mode, so I've combined those two previous code blocks as follows:

Code:
KEY K_View()
BEGIN
  IF Entry == 0
    THEN Entry:=2 ELSE Entry:=0;
  END;
  STARTVIEW(-1,1);
  TEXTOUT_P(STRINGFROMID(1903+Entry),G0,2,207,2,RGB(255,0,0));
  WAIT(.5);
END;

This gives feedback when changing modes and also skips Algebraic.

Eric
11-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Thank you Eric!
I'm trying the first version:
• ok both in "A" and "C" Prime with the new beta
• in the iOS stuff (iPhone and iPad but the precedent version, as still there is not the beta...) ok but it presents the Views menu after the execution (I think for the old FW)
• in the emulator ok, but when I revert to Textbook the app crashes

Now I try the second version!

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
I'm glad it worked for you. I haven't tried it on the emulator, so I don't have any help for you there.

You might like to try replacing K_View with K_Help since you are looking for speed. That would give you the fastest toggle, shift-help-help. I would use this myself, but shift-help-help is currently assigned to pop up the Virtual Keys soft keyboard which I use more often. :-)

Eric
11-30-2017, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 10:30 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Switching views in user keys is dangerous - it always has been but with the new beta version that processes keys earlier in the evaluation tree it has become much more so.

It cannot be corrected at this time and I'd highly recommend NOT view switching in user keys. Starting apps away from your currently active one is also dangerous.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-30-2017, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 10:33 PM by ekeppel.)
(11-30-2017 10:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Switching views in user keys is dangerous - it always has been but with the new beta version that processes keys earlier in the evaluation tree it has become much more so.

It cannot be corrected at this time and I'd highly recommend NOT view switching in user keys. Starting apps away from your current one is also dangerous.

Thanks Tim,

I didn't realize this had been an issue. I noticed crashes from time to time when switching modes like this, and chalked it up to the Beta firmware. I don't recall it crashing at all with the public release FW, but I may not have used it long enough.

In my case, I'm not doing anything so critical as to worry about a crash from time to time, but I can see that caution would be warranted all the same. :-)

Eric
11-30-2017, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 10:48 PM by salvomic.)
Thank you Tim,
ok, we beware on that form now, hoping that the problem could be solved soon.

However I tried the second version of Eric in all my machines without no problem (also in emulator) but I did nothing so important, only switching and held some keys in RPN then revert to Textbook.

Salvo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)