HP-41CL self-update via HP-IL
11-27-2017, 12:02 AM
RE: HP-41CL self-update via HP-IL
Monte; Where did the YMCPY8 and YFWR8 functions of the previous version of the YFNF module go? I need them for my program Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2017, 12:46 AM
(11-27-2017 12:02 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Monte; Where did the YMCPY8 and YFWR8 functions of the previous version of the YFNF module go? I need them for my program Undecided

Use P8CPY and P8WR in YUPS. They provide more error/bounds checking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2017, 12:54 AM
(11-27-2017 12:46 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 12:02 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Monte; Where did the YMCPY8 and YFWR8 functions of the previous version of the YFNF module go? I need them for my program Undecided

Use P8CPY and P8WR in YUPS. They provide more error/bounds checking.

Maybe we could copy those functions over to our HP-IL update module (since there is no need to have two "update modules" loaded at the same time)?

Håkan; What do you think?

Also; Naming convention - I propose our module to be named CLILUP.ROM (CL hp-IL UPdate ROM) - and the 4-letter marker = YUIL (I believe that would be available).
11-27-2017, 01:48 AM
Or... Monte, is it room in the update module for Håkan's two (small) routines? And possibly an 80 line FOCAL program?
11-27-2017, 01:59 AM
(11-27-2017 01:48 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Or... Monte, is it room in the update module for Håkan's two (small) routines? And possibly an 80 line FOCAL program?

There are only eight locations available in YUPS. They're not even adjacent. It was
a challenge making everything fit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2017, 02:29 AM
Then how about making an HP-IL specific update module stripping the current update module of everything serial - specific and adding what we have for IL?
11-27-2017, 05:12 AM
(11-27-2017 12:54 AM)Geir Isene Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 12:46 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  Use P8CPY and P8WR in YUPS. They provide more error/bounds checking.

Maybe we could copy those functions over to our HP-IL update module (since there is no need to have two "update modules" loaded at the same time)?

Håkan; What do you think?

Also; Naming convention - I propose our module to be named CLILUP.ROM (CL hp-IL UPdate ROM) - and the 4-letter marker = YUIL (I believe that would be available).

After taking a look at it I think we should just load two "update modules" at the same time, for now. Copying those two functions over is quite involved, as there are many support routines used.

Håkan
11-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Ok. Then I proceed with that in mind.
11-27-2017, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 10:23 PM by Geir Isene.)
Updated GitHub repo (https://github.com/isene/hp-41cl_update/)

Added an "Initialization procedure" so that it becomes very easy to get the solution up and running if you have an HP-41CL and no serial cable.

Finally, I have a solution for updating my HP-41CL after the connector to the serial cable broke on my CL v3 board :-)

As usual - all corrections and suggestions for improvements are highly welcome.

After I have tested this even more, I will ask Håkan to add the FOCAL program "FUPDATE" to the CLILUPD.ROM. Then we will have the 1.0 release.
11-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Great job, thank you Geir and Håkan!
11-28-2017, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 07:18 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(11-27-2017 10:14 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Finally, I have a solution for updating my HP-41CL after the connector to the serial cable broke on my CL v3 board :-)

As usual - all corrections and suggestions for improvements are highly welcome.

how about a windoze solution for the mere mortals among us??
I'm jealous!
11-28-2017, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 07:33 PM by Geir Isene.)
I haven't had a Windows computer since 1999, so I wouldn't know how to create the Ruby or Python script to do that - and I don't have easy access to a testing environment. Maybe someone could team up with me on that?

And PS: If it's one among us that is immortal, it is you.
11-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that the PC part of the CL-IL-Update software is UNIX ( or Apple?) only. This indeed is a pity. I never have used one of these systems. Like Angel, I'd really would welcome a Windows version of the transfer software. Please .... :-)
11-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Joachim;

I can load the text file generated ("ROMS1") via the HEPAX function HREADFL - but not directly into XM via the function GETAS. Can you confirm?
11-29-2017, 08:34 PM
(11-28-2017 08:17 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Oh, I didn't realize that the PC part of the CL-IL-Update software is UNIX ( or Apple?) only. This indeed is a pity. I never have used one of these systems. Like Angel, I'd really would welcome a Windows version of the transfer software. Please .... :-)

I have a patched Windows version of the python script working but it needs a bit more testing. Key changes needed for Windows:

- Comment out the os.system call with the "touch" command. If the file needs to exist, then you can open it for append and then close, I think.
- Replace "cat" with "type" in the other os.system calls. You can probably just create a pair of variable assignments in the header and use the variable in the string concatenations. Let the user uncomment the right variable assignment.
- Replace appearances of the directory separator "/" with os.sep including where it is embedded in strings like "/cl_update.lif"

Running the script creates the lif file and the contents look right with lifdir. I haven't tested the hexpax=True path though.

Very nice work, Geir & Håkan!
~Mark
11-29-2017, 08:36 PM
(11-29-2017 08:34 PM)mfleming Wrote:  
(11-28-2017 08:17 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Oh, I didn't realize that the PC part of the CL-IL-Update software is UNIX ( or Apple?) only. This indeed is a pity. I never have used one of these systems. Like Angel, I'd really would welcome a Windows version of the transfer software. Please .... :-)

I have a patched Windows version of the python script working but it needs a bit more testing. Key changes needed for Windows:

- Comment out the os.system call with the "touch" command. If the file needs to exist, then you can open it for append and then close, I think.
- Replace "cat" with "type" in the other os.system calls. You can probably just create a pair of variable assignments in the header and use the variable in the string concatenations. Let the user uncomment the right variable assignment.
- Replace appearances of the directory separator "/" with os.sep including where it is embedded in strings like "/cl_update.lif"

Running the script creates the lif file and the contents look right with lifdir. I haven't tested the hexpax=True path though.

~Mark

Wow. Cool & Nice Going & Thanks Smile
11-29-2017, 08:50 PM
(11-29-2017 07:17 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Joachim;

I can load the text file generated ("ROMS1") via the HEPAX function HREADFL - but not directly into XM via the function GETAS. Can you confirm?
Works for me. Did you create the text file in XM first (CRFLAS)?
11-29-2017, 09:27 PM
(11-29-2017 08:50 PM)jsi Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 07:17 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Joachim;

Works for me. Did you create the text file in XM first (CRFLAS)?

Hmm... no. Thanks for that reminder (I didn't have to create the file first when reading in with the HEPAX function). But, how would I know how to create it with the right size, then?
11-29-2017, 11:13 PM
I will solve that by adding a simple file ("INDEX") that will add the size of ROMS1 (and ROMS2).
11-30-2017, 02:42 AM
(11-29-2017 08:34 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I have a patched Windows version of the python script working but it needs a bit more testing. Key changes needed for Windows:

~Mark

Firstly, I agree - nice work Geir and Håkan!

I've seen there are programs that can take a Python script and 'wrap it' with stuff to generate a windows .exe file (I guess the stuff is the core of the run-time system), but also read that these tools only work with very limited subsets of Python code, objects, etc.

Does anyone have practical experience with these tools and could offer advice if this is a viable approach to migrate this solution to windows?

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)