Suggestion for New Version
11-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Suggestion for New Version
I know the Beta threads aren't the place to suggest new features so I'm putting this here. When deleting a program, I'd like to see the program name instead of the word "this"

Using a program called PRIMES as an example:

Instead of

"Are you sure you want to delete this program?"

I'd like to see

"Are you sure you want to delete program PRIMES?"

When deleting anything, I like more confirmation rather than less.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2017, 01:14 PM
RE: Suggestion for New Version
That's a great suggestion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2017, 02:02 PM
And could we also make "Are you sure you want to delete all your programs" a bit less accessible.
Its frightening how often I have touched something and somehow found myself one keystroke away from losing everything (or alternatively, an Undelete command).

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
11-16-2017, 04:11 PM
(11-16-2017 02:02 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  And could we also make "Are you sure you want to delete all your programs" a bit less accessible.
Its frightening how often I have touched something and somehow found myself one keystroke away from losing everything (or alternatively, an Undelete command).

Yes! Until then, backup, Backup, BACKUP!! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-16-2017, 07:04 PM
(11-16-2017 02:02 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  And could we also make "Are you sure you want to delete all your programs" a bit less accessible.

How often do you think did I lose everything on my VC because of that keyboard error I discribed earlier, Shift stays selected and Esc then clears everything from the calc depending on where you are: new program nearly finished and gone, stack cleared...I ended making a backup always when I start a new program and even when I got some first version running.
Arno
11-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Combining text actually is quite tricky one you start dealing with translations. Different languages have different forms and orders. Starts to get tricky.

Anyway, good suggestion regarding the text.

How many "are you sure" prompts do you feel you'd have to go through before you'd feel ok though...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-16-2017, 07:38 PM
How about

Code:

Are you sure you want to delete this program?

MYPROGRAM

[ Yes ]                              [ No ]

The prompt window should just include the program name without having to insert it in any particular place within the question. Just have it sit on its own line so it is absolutely clear what program is being deleted.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
11-16-2017, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 07:42 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(11-16-2017 07:38 PM)Han Wrote:  How about

Code:

MYPROGRAM

Yes, something like that was my thinking.

TW

11-16-2017, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 07:46 PM by DrD.)
If those are check boxes, so much the better, but even as soft-keys that is a great idea, Han! It embodies all the safe guards necessary to prevent inadvertent deletes.

-Dale-
11-16-2017, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 08:35 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(11-16-2017 07:29 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Combining text actually is quite tricky one you start dealing with translations. Different languages have different forms and orders. Starts to get tricky.

How many "are you sure" prompts do you feel you'd have to go through before you'd feel ok though...

There is always one too many when you are right, and at least one too few when you are wrong.
Given that I cannot recall ever wanting to delete all my programs, I think this would benefit from an additional step.
I never want to accidentally slip into exam mode either.
Perhaps a "Don't really do that" check box in the configuration settings would help.

Also, emphasize PROGRAMS or NOTES - I once deleted my newly finished Programs/myprogram, thinking I was deleting my completed to-do list in Notes/myprogram. Perhaps Notes could have a different colour?

11-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Even better would be the Mac standard to make it even more obvious:

Code:

MYPROGRAM

[ Delete ]                              [ Cancel ]
11-16-2017, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 08:46 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(11-16-2017 04:11 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

Yes! Until then, backup, Backup, BACKUP!! Smile

Backups are of course not easy on Android if you are away from a PC for some time...
It is tempting to rely on in-place backups (prog,progA...) given that one cannot write to SD card - and in-place backups wouldn't help here.

One useful tip to backup away from a PC: You can backup your Programs into Notes (And your Notes into Programs, although I'm not sure if formatting is preserved). Then if you "delete all programs" they are still on-device.

11-16-2017, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017 09:01 PM by Tim Wessman.)
What about a "swiper" instead to trigger the delete? (the screen that you start exam mode with for example if you haven't seen that recently)

Code:

MYPROGRAM

[ICON]   ...animated arrow moving to the right and fading
                                [ Cancel ]

TW

11-16-2017, 09:01 PM
(11-16-2017 07:38 PM)Han Wrote:  How about

Code:

MYPROGRAM

The prompt window should just include the program name without having to insert it in any particular place within the question. Just have it sit on its own line so it is absolutely clear what program is being deleted.

Sure! Anything to clearly indicate what program is about to be deleted would be OK with me!

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-16-2017, 09:32 PM
If I select "Yes" or move some slider, that doesn't really matter, a prevention should be built in. Perhaps another idea could be a waste-paper-bin in flash (I don't think anybody has a filled up flash-memory) with the possibility to recover files, perhaps with an automated delete after some days.
Arno
11-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Another place that would benefit from a name would be the "Program Parameters" screen.
Selecting from a list of exported procedures in the Run menu, the screen switches to "Program Parameters" and a list of parameters... Given a long list of procedures with similar parameters, there is no way of knowing if you tapped one away from where you intended.
Perhaps the first "parameter" shown should be "Procedure Name".

11-16-2017, 11:23 PM
(11-16-2017 07:38 PM)Han Wrote:  
Code:

MYPROGRAM

Hey, it remind me the good old "try to recover memory ?" Smile

I like it....

primer
11-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Hi Primer,

Exactly ! Me too like it.

GĂ©rard.
11-17-2017, 10:43 AM
(11-16-2017 07:29 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Combining text actually is quite tricky one you start dealing with translations. Different languages have different forms and orders. Starts to get tricky.

I don't need more prompts, just better ones! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-17-2017, 12:37 PM
(11-16-2017 07:29 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  How many "are you sure" prompts do you feel you'd have to go through before you'd feel ok though...

I'm still undecided, however the final prompt should read:
"This is the last chance to change your mind about ..."
That'd remind me of the old days and HP-UX 7.

Best,
FDR

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)