STO> vs :=
09-18-2017, 01:31 AM
STO> vs :=
Is there any significant difference between STO> and := for variable assignment? The help text for the two is slightly different in a way that makes me think there might be. I know STO> is also used for the unit conversion shortcut.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2017, 05:26 AM
RE: STO> vs :=
Hello,

Functionally, they are the same (the same code is sued for both).

There is the |>_unit shortcut that does exist, but is a parser hack, not a sto functionality (comes from the CAS).

|> is more of the "math" notation while := is more of a computer science one..

Appart from that, identical.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks for clearing it up. I'll probably stick with := simply because it's easier to type on a PC. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2017, 05:27 AM
Hello,

I would agree with you here.

The main difference stand in your order of thinking. := means I need to update the value of a variable. Let me think what I need to set it to.
|> means: I do a calculation... and I want to save it's result somewhere for later use...

As you can see, 2 different way of thinking can lead to 2 different use of the 2 different sto.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)