Hp prime questions (plus little explorations).
12-31-2017, 09:45 PM
RE: Hp prime questions (plus little explorations).
Tim, thanks for the explanation.

(12-31-2017 09:21 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Have you tried to install the Virtual Calculator from the ftp site?

No because I assumed without serial it won't be a pro app. Is HP just giving out the pro app for free? I am going to try it asap. Thanks!

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2017, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2017 11:55 PM by pier4r.)
Ok installed the virtual calculator and it works like a charm (I mean with the connectivity kit). Still I am confused. If one knows how to "download the virtual calculator" why should one buy it on the windows/apple store?

I thought one needed a key somewhere (and I am absolutely not against freeware). Well, fine for me, the project is a nice one and required a lot of work so even if I bought it twice, it is super worth it. (two times 19 € is still less than the cheaper of my two 50g).

01-01-2018, 06:19 AM
People just dont buy things when they aren't in stores. Have tried it before "selling" plain windows applications. Never went too well.

The store gives you convenience.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-01-2018, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 11:01 AM by pier4r.)
(01-01-2018 06:19 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  People just dont buy things when they aren't in stores. Have tried it before "selling" plain windows applications. Never went too well.

The store gives you convenience.

On this I completely agree. A store, even virtual, is super comfortable especially if it has mostly all the applications. I wonder why the idea of a store was implemented late*, when linux had repositories since a while.

What baffles me is that the virtual calculator from the ftp site is exactly what I need (well, aside from the part that a better visual interface would be cool) and it does not even require a serial/purchase to have all the functionality.

So I assume that somehow it is safe to put the full product on an ftp site because the majority of the audience won't discover it, otherwise it would be a financial loss.

There is another alternative though: that I am missing something.

* late and bad! I remember the first was the app store from apple. Then the nokia store, then the google store, but the search and other important functions were dismal.

edit1:
Another question. I am running a rough simulator to test sample sizes against the size of a population. I did not do it on the 50g because the simulation is computationally intensive (and my algorithms are not that optimal) plus I need a lot of memory to save the results.

So I developed the program on the windows virtual prime, all fine. I let the program run on the android virtual prime (because fanless) in the night with the extended input.
Since I know that a list can store max 10000 objects. A matrix can store max 19999 elements, I decided to write the output as text in a note (that in a program is like a string in the end). Anyway the note reached 128Kb and the program stopped (after roughly 8 hours of execution) saying "insufficient memory". Actually the content has 68 thousands chars. So I assume it is saved with UTF 16.

Therefore my question is: how can I store a large text? Say 512kb?
Some clever way to use notes?
Should I split it in different list objects? (each of, say, 2-4kb, like pages) Actually I think that lists, as with the 50g, are the only way to abusing the memory. Since lists should be a collection of references to different objects.
Any other idea?

Because in my mind I assigned the prime exactly this role: computations where the operations needed are a lot or the result is larger than the memory offered by 50g + userRPL (with newRPL, if I am not mistaken, it would be possible to append directly on the SD card without storing in memory, therefore the storage limit would be increased a lot. An alternative with userRPL is to pack the result on the SD in different files). But then I did not expect to hit similar limits for storage, like ~100kb (the speed is amazing, even with poor algorithms).

01-01-2018, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 08:50 PM by pier4r.)
Updates. The virtual calculator is even better than the HP prime pro app in the app store. The keyboard is properly recognized. When I type '(' actually '(' is recognized, not '*'.

Then so far the only way to break the current memory limit for lists (10k elements), notes (64k chars) or strings (64k chars) - I am still hoping that someone knows a robust workaround - seems to allocate list of list.

I just allocated 100 lists of 1000 elements each (so 100k elements) and it seems to work.

I was unable, though, to find an equivalent of BYTES (50g command) so I do not know how much memory it uses.
EDIT. Shift + Mem shows the memory, click Lists. L0 at the moment uses 1.53MB. Not bad.
The connection to the connectivity kit (and the connectivity kit itself) is golden though, as I can retrieve the value and save it properly, while from the calculator itself is a pain.
Through the connectivity kit, copying all the lists produces a result of 562k chars in notepad++.

The Hp prime app from the MS store is pretty limited -for heavy stuff - without the connectivity kit.

Code:

EXPORT list_of_list_test()
  // can a list hold other lists with a lot of elements inside?
BEGIN
  LOCAL lv_main_list:={};
  LOCAL lv_sublists:=100;

LOCAL lv_index;
  LOCAL lv_var;

FOR lv_index FROM 1 TO lv_sublists DO
    lv_main_list(0):= MAKELIST( lv_var * lv_index, lv_var, 1 , 1000 );
  END;

//store in L0 to see if it worked.
  L0:=lv_main_list;
END;

edit1: it seems that 'alt gr' blocks the shift on the virtual calculator, while 'ctrl + alt' unblocks it.

edit2: the prime app from the MS store does not compute when minimized, the virtual calculator does. The virtual calculator seems really way better. Impressive how locked down is the MS store app.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)