Variables not created in statistics
09-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Variables not created in statistics
I have noticed that in the application of statistics when you enter a name or title for column C1, C2, C3, etc; the title changes within the application, but no such variable is created. For example, instead of C1 change it by "time" and instead of C2 change it by "distance"; these names "time" and "distance" are not created as variables accessible by the operating system for use in another application or program. Only its original names C1 and C2 can be used which should not be so for that they are given proper names to those columns; it would be good to implement this in a future upgrade.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2017, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 09:38 PM by Helge Gabert.)
RE: Variables not created in statistics
Are you sure? The column names are accessible here (both in Home and CAS), returning the respective lists -- I also checked name recognition in programs. Of course, D1, C1, C2, etc. are still in use as well.
09-15-2017, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 09:57 PM by math7.)
Yes, I'm sure. If I call a column with the name Time without quotes and another with the name of distance the title of the column changes of course. But if I leave the application or inside it, if I press the VAR key then those variables are not going anywhere, they are not accessible to the system.

Note: I upgrade to 12066 OS HP Prime.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Did you try using the fully qualified variable name? (<appname>.time, or <appname>.distance, etc).
09-15-2017, 09:58 PM
(09-15-2017 09:45 PM)math7 Wrote:  Yes, I'm sure. If I call a column with the name Time without quotes and another with the name of distance the title of the column changes of course. But if I leave the application or inside it, if I press the VAR key then those variables are not going anywhere, they are not accessible to the system.

So what happens if you type distance (without quotes) in the command line? Or reference distance in a program? All I can say, it works for me. But distance doesn't show up in the Var menu, that is correct.
09-15-2017, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 10:07 PM by math7.)
No, the calculator does not save those variables. If instead of C1 in the column I type TIME and in column C2 I write DISTANCE, the variables TIME and DISTANCE do not appear as variables in any menu of the Prime. There are no pictures in the VAR system variable menu or in the function and command catalog of the calculator. I have attached images where they are not displayed. If I had 50 variables created how could I remember what they are to use the full name as DrD says?
09-15-2017, 10:22 PM
You could create a spreadsheet to track your app variables ...
You could Search this forum for more details on app variables ...

and so forth ...
09-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Hello,

Yes, you are correct. I'll need to think about a few things because it isn't as simple as "you made a new variable".

One of the challenges here is that the names you are giving aren't really a "new" variable for the existing columns, but are just another way to refer to that column. Should the name you give then be a system global name? Should it replace the existing default column? Or be referred to in a second location but reference the first...

Anyway, you are correct that there is no place those names appear in the UI and that needs resolving.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-16-2017, 03:45 AM
Hello, yes I understand you Tim. Well I do not know the truth as it implements that at the system level as if you know that you are working on the development of the Prime. It might be that these column names actually are as global variables, so you can use them for example in a program that calculates them or can be used in other formulas or in the Solution application when solving some equations and that the variables are those names of the columns. I do not know maybe if enclosing that in single or double quotes that the calculator understands they are variables or something. Now, as Helge Gabert said, if I write the name of the column in the Home or in CAS because the list of values appears, but it is slow and tedious if there were many names that are used because they are not listed somewhere, but as you say maybe they will solve it soon in an update.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)