Article on HPE.com: The early history of HP calculators
09-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Article on HPE.com: The early history of HP calculators
The early history of HP calculators (by Alan Zeichick)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2017, 02:03 AM
RE: Article on HPE.com: The early history of HP calculators
(09-14-2017 11:29 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  The early history of HP calculators (by Alan Zeichick)

He's not quite right in implying that the TI-59 was TI's answer to the HP-65. The TI-59 was in response to the HP-67.

The SR-52 was TI's response to the HP-65.

Tom L

DM42 SN: 00025
09-15-2017, 06:05 AM
(09-14-2017 11:29 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  The early history of HP calculators (by Alan Zeichick)

Very interesting. Regarding the HP67/97 the article says:
"Program cards were fully interchangeable between the models. Plus, they could import and run HP-65 programs, which was a huge boost when they first came out."

So the HP67/97 could import HP-65 programs?! Just like the HP41 card reader could read HP67/97 cards? Or what is this supposed to mean?

Dieter
09-15-2017, 07:37 AM
(09-15-2017 06:05 AM)Dieter Wrote:  Or what is this supposed to mean?

It sounds like a mistake.

My 67 card reader is broken, otherwise I'd try a 65 card through it.

Pauli
09-15-2017, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 12:15 PM by Gene.)
It is a mistake.

The 67 card reader could **not** read HP 65 cards that had a program already on them and make sense of them.

Blank ones, yes, but it could not do what the smart card reader for the HP 41 could do and translate the 67 program to the 41.

Could not do!
09-18-2017, 02:48 PM
"Old calculators are fun collectibles for nerds. Just make sure it works."

So I guess that I am a nerd...

Vincent
09-19-2017, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2017 06:38 AM by HP67.)
(09-15-2017 02:03 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

He's not quite right in implying that the TI-59 was TI's answer to the HP-65. The TI-59 was in response to the HP-67.

Maybe, but there is no comparison. I had a several new TIs including that 59, a TI-55, and a TI Progammer. They were complete junk in comparison with HP calculators. The build quality was like a nightmare from China in the 1970s.. used daily they all self-destructed in a few years. Switches broke, battery doors broke, the metallic color on the plastic cases wore off quickly and they looked bad etc. Just complete junk.

I would take my 67 over any calculator TI has ever put out. Decades later it still works and looks like new. The only thing was the batteries eventually died so I ran it off the AC adapter.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
09-19-2017, 06:51 AM
(09-19-2017 06:35 AM)HP67 Wrote:  The only thing was the batteries eventually died so I ran it off the AC adapter.

I just ordered a battery container (for regular AAs) for my HP-67 (lost the adapter). I will know in a couple of weeks how well that goes: haven't used my HP-67 for decades and have stacks of cards to play with...
09-19-2017, 07:01 AM
(09-19-2017 06:51 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  
(09-19-2017 06:35 AM)HP67 Wrote:  The only thing was the batteries eventually died so I ran it off the AC adapter.

I just ordered a battery container (for regular AAs) for my HP-67 (lost the adapter). I will know in a couple of weeks how well that goes: haven't used my HP-67 for decades and have stacks of cards to play with...

My HP-67 is in storage and I can't get to it now. I know Katie and possibly others make up modern battery back replacements and when I get my hands on my 67 I'll order one from her (if she is still making them.) I didn't know about packs for regular AAs but that sounds good especially if you can use Eneloops. They would probably last a long time.

09-19-2017, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2017 06:34 PM by AndiGer.)
I guess you are talking about a holder for AAA batteries.
Look at TAS, seller waterhosko:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/waterhosko/m.html
I produced a similar one myself. Works great also with rechargeable cells.

Other thing: If you didn't use your 67 for years/decades you must for sure repair the reader before use. Search this website or the web for repair guides.
In those guides you are informed that two screws to open the calculator are under the back label.
If you want preserve the label to remove those screws is a hard job! Often you find the label punched :-(
09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
(09-19-2017 06:51 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  

I could use one of those! Where did you order yours?
09-19-2017, 07:16 PM
(09-19-2017 06:33 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  Other thing: If you didn't use your 67 for years/decades you must for sure repair the reader before use. Search this website or the web for repair guides.

With FixThatCalc gone and hearing bad things about Vintage Calculator Repair, is there any place left that a non-mechanically-inclined person might turn to for HP-67 card reader restoration?
09-19-2017, 07:20 PM
(09-19-2017 07:16 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(09-19-2017 06:33 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  Other thing: If you didn't use your 67 for years/decades you must for sure repair the reader before use. Search this website or the web for repair guides.

With FixThatCalc gone and hearing bad things about Vintage Calculator Repair, is there any place left that a non-mechanically-inclined person might turn to for HP-67 card reader restoration?

If you don't have problems mailing your calculator to Tony Duell in the UK I understand he's a wizard with all sorts of electronics and also an HP calculator expert.

09-19-2017, 09:43 PM
(09-19-2017 06:33 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  I guess you are talking about a holder for AAA batteries.
Look at TAS, seller waterhosko:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/waterhosko/m.html
Yes sorry, I missed an A. That's who I ordered it from; should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your advice on the reader.
09-19-2017, 09:48 PM
(09-19-2017 07:16 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  

Adam Jones
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-906...l#pid79293
09-20-2017, 01:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2017 01:11 AM by Thomas Okken.)
Thank you HP67 and Dave!

Once I get my battery holder and establish that the calculator works, I'll get in touch with Tony or Adam and hopefully get the card reader working. I bought this unit on eBay several years ago and haven't even tried turning it on in all the time since then. It appears well used, and came with nothing but the original case, original and doubtlessly unusable battery pack, and, intriguingly, a complete Standard Pac and some extra cards. Loading and running some of those relics would be a real thrill! :-)
09-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Meanwhile if you have iOS you can enjoy 'Legendary 67'
09-27-2017, 08:11 AM
I just received my battery holder for the HP-67. It even included 3 NiCds and arrived much sooner than expected (apparently shipped from the USA on the 15th and arrived today in Australia on the 27th).

The calculator's card reader is dead as a Dodo and the keys aren't as consistent as they were 40 years ago, but it will do for basic calculations and tiny programs.
09-27-2017, 08:26 AM
(09-19-2017 06:35 AM)HP67 Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 02:03 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  He's not quite right in implying that the TI-59 was TI's answer to the HP-65. The TI-59 was in response to the HP-67.

Maybe, but there is no comparison. I had a several new TIs including that 59, a TI-55, and a TI Progammer. They were complete junk in comparison with HP calculators. The build quality was like a nightmare from China in the 1970s.. used daily they all self-destructed in a few years. Switches broke, battery doors broke, the metallic color on the plastic cases wore off quickly and they looked bad etc. Just complete junk.

I would take my 67 over any calculator TI has ever put out. Decades later it still works and looks like new. The only thing was the batteries eventually died so I ran it off the AC adapter.

I guess I'm lucky. I still use my TI-59 and PC-100A print cradle. Everything works including the card reader!

Tom L

DM42 SN: 00025
09-27-2017, 09:36 AM
(09-27-2017 08:11 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  I just received my battery holder for the HP-67. It even included 3 NiCds and arrived much sooner than expected (apparently shipped from the USA on the 15th and arrived today in Australia on the 27th).

The calculator's card reader is dead as a Dodo and the keys aren't as consistent as they were 40 years ago, but it will do for basic calculations and tiny programs.

I got one with alkalines -- don't want to mess with rechargeables until I have a way to charge them. I have one of those cheap slow chargers, which works fine but will only charge batteries in pairs, which is a bit awkward when your device runs on three batteries. I imagine getting an actual HP-67 charger is a bit of a project. Also, how well would an original charger work with NiMH batteries? Or would you have to use NiCd cells if you want to charge them inside the calculator?

My pack arrived four days after placing the order. Illinois to New Jersey is less of a journey than to Australia!

I'm happy to report my 67 works fine. The h key feels a bit mushy but the other ones are OK, and they all work perfectly.

Now to get the card reader restored. I'm not even going to try feeding a card into it until that is done. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)