Article on HPE.com: The early history of HP calculators
09-27-2017, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 03:50 PM by HP67.)
RE: Article on HPE.com: The early history of HP calculators
All it takes is one leaky alkaline to make you think about using lithiums or modern rechargeables (not NiCads) more seriously Sad

I have had great luck for decades with Duracell. Not one leak in over 30 years.

And then it happened... so now I am using Lithiums in all my HP calcs and other devices that are not cheap and easy to replace.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2017, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 02:21 AM by brickviking.)
(09-27-2017 03:49 PM)HP67 Wrote:  All it takes is one leaky alkaline to make you think about using lithiums or modern rechargeables (not NiCads) more seriously Sad

I have had great luck for decades with Duracell. Not one leak in over 30 years.

And then it happened... so now I am using Lithiums in all my HP calcs and other devices that are not cheap and easy to replace.

I love lithium cells (the 1.5 V-ish ones) but by God's sweet name, they're expensive. I don't feel I can justify that cost for anything I'll use. The last time I used them was in a computer mouse - I got 17 months out of a AA set when I was previously getting about 3 from the average pair of alkalines. I get 1, maybe 2 years out of alkalines in the Casio 9750G+, not sure about the fx9750GII. I've only just replaced the batteries for the second time in the 50G since I got it in Nov 2014. Given they're AAAs, that's not bad. I also find it an advantage that each calculator takes a full card of four batteries each time.

I've no idea what lifetime I got out of batteries in my 34C (just to drag it back somewhat On Topic), though I've replaced my single AA cell once in both my Casio 82TL and 82MS. And the Canon F-804P hasn't had a battery replacement yet.

Oh good grief. Have I become a ... <shudder> collector?

(Postus See Eye)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2017, 09:29 PM
(09-27-2017 09:36 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I got one with alkalines -- don't want to mess with rechargeables until I have a way to charge them. I have one of those cheap slow chargers, which works fine but will only charge batteries in pairs, which is a bit awkward when your device runs on three batteries. I imagine getting an actual HP-67 charger is a bit of a project. Also, how well would an original charger work with NiMH batteries? Or would you have to use NiCd cells if you want to charge them inside the calculator?

I presume you bought a Classic battery adapter from Mark Hoskins (waterhosko). A simple solution is to use AAA Eneloops and a BC-700 smart charger. Works great. While the 67 or a Classic Power Pak will charge the NiMH cells, the BC-700 is better and much faster.

Dave
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)