Program Editor
09-03-2017, 02:28 AM
Program Editor
Is there a way to search for text inside the program editor?
e.g. use would be to find where a function that is called is defined (if defined in the current program). i.e. the cursor is already on the text I want to search for. Maybe a tap would highlight the word and some key might search for the next occurrence.
If it doesn't exist....it would be a nice feature to see added in a future release.
I admit it's not a feature used a lot, but when you need it, it's really needed. e.g. I'm currently editing a program I wrote some time ago and it's very long. I am getting a syntax error on a call to a function. I want to find where the function is defined (in the file) and I have to scroll through it to find it....would be nice to search for it....
Thx
-Donald
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 02:54 AM by AlexFekken.)
RE: Program Editor
I haven't seen an option for searching.

But I typically program through the connectivity kit and would copy and paste the code into a text editor for something like that. Since it is a rare thing anyway that works for me.
09-03-2017, 06:51 AM
The whole reason I'm using this instead of octave is that I can program it on the calculator....though I can definitely see the advantage of programming in windows...
09-03-2017, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 08:23 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
There is no built-in capability.

However there are user programs that can search.

I felt the need for one when I first got the HP Prime and wrote this:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4672.html

And xset implemented this:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4832.html

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2017, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 12:21 PM by lschroeder1947.)
I know that this does not help you but thought information might be useful for others reading you post.

Using a text editor to edit to create a program library of functions or Application Library app. For windows Notepad++ with the HP PPl plug-in is a good one to use. Your program library of functions may be single function but if it is very simple you probably just want to use the HP Prime Program Catalog Edit tab. When we will refer to Notepad++ substitute your text editor.

Listing the steps needed to create and use a program library of functions or create executable Application Library app (Use the forum and YouTube tutorials to help with creations of Application Library apps – it helps to look at other programmer’s code since the process is more involved) :

· Create a HP Prime enhanced Notepad++ version of the program library of functions or Application Library App.

· For a program library of functions using the HP Prime’s Program Catalog New tab add a HP Prime function template using the name of the library as the function name or for an Application Library App from the Application Library use the Save tab to save a copy of the Application Library App that we will be using for our new Application Library App with its new name.

· Using the Program Catalog to edit the new HP Prime function template you just created or switch to the Program Catalog and use the Edit tab to edit your new Application Library App. Use the Copy key (Shift View) of the HP Prime. Press the soft key All, followed by the soft key Cut.

· In the HP Prime enhanced Notepad++ select All, followed by Copy.

· On the HP Prime Pro or HP Prime Virtual Calculator Paste from the system clipboard (not the HP Prime Paste key).

· Press the HP Prime soft Check key. Press the soft OK key to message “No errors in the program”.

· Run a program library function or execute a Library Application. For the program library of functions use the Toolbox > User > Program Function > function name from the CAS view or HOME view. For the Application Library App, if it has an Export function of the application in the code, use the Toolbox > App > App Functions > app name from the CAS view or HOME view. No Export function of the application in the code, execute it from Application Library screen soft Start key.

I use this procedure with my Window’s HP Prime Pro app and pc Virtual software. I then use the HP Connectivity Kit to move to the HP Prime calculator.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2017, 04:01 PM
if using a PC, the 2 editors worth talking about are emacs and vim.....
09-03-2017, 04:57 PM
(09-03-2017 04:01 PM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  if using a PC, the 2 editors worth talking about are emacs and vim.....

Oh, you're going to start THAT argument over here now are you? ;P

Everyone knows that 1 of those is far superior.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-03-2017, 07:48 PM
No...editors are like religion. I'm a VIM man myself.....:-)
I just wanted to make sure nobody even considers notepad or any variation thereof a real programmer's editor :-)
Of course, if you like waiting long periods of time, you could use visual studio...
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 12:43 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-03-2017 07:48 PM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  No...editors are like religion. I'm a VIM man myself.....:-)
I just wanted to make sure nobody even considers notepad or any variation thereof a real programmer's editor :-)
Of course, if you like waiting long periods of time, you could use visual studio...

Hey, I use Notepad++ with the HP Prime template. It works well highlighting the keywords, text, comments, etc., and it provides help for function syntax and parameters, is fast and easy to use. I've been a programmer for over 40 years and have used everything from TSO on mainframes to ED on CP/M and EDLIN on DOS. Notepad++ is a real joy to use after EDLIN!

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)