RPN handhelds with VFD
08-22-2017, 05:56 PM
RPN handhelds with VFD
Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2017, 07:26 AM
RE: RPN handhelds with VFD
Lots of early Casio calculators - e.g., Casio fx-10, Casio fx-201, Casio AL8, Casio CQ-1 ..... at least, all these calculators have green glowing displays with the display elements inside a glass tube. I think they are vacuum fluorescents.

Nigel (UK)
08-24-2017, 07:29 AM
(08-24-2017 07:26 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Lots of early Casio calculators - e.g., Casio fx-10, Casio fx-201, Casio AL8, Casio CQ-1 ..... at least, all these calculators have green glowing displays with the display elements inside a glass tube. I think they are vacuum fluorescents.

Nigel (UK)

Not RPN, though.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Sorry! I didn't read the subject carefully.

Nigel (UK)
08-24-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2017 08:42 AM by Paul Dale.)
I can't think of any RPN ones, apart from the Электроника models. I don't know much about the rarer RPN calculators so there might be one.

Pauli
08-24-2017, 04:37 PM
(08-24-2017 08:38 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Sorry! I didn't read the subject carefully.

Nigel (UK)

That was my bad, I ment to write "RPN calculators" in the text as well as the topic.
08-26-2017, 11:43 PM
(08-22-2017 05:56 PM)Harald Wrote:  Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald

Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.
08-27-2017, 03:50 PM
(08-26-2017 11:43 PM)JimP Wrote:  
(08-22-2017 05:56 PM)Harald Wrote:  Are there calculators with vacuum fluorescent display other than the Various Elektronika models and the Omron 12SR?

Cheers,
Harald

Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.

Thanks for the hint! I just secured one off ebay UK Smile
Would you happen to have the documentation for it? My example will come as the bare calculator.
08-27-2017, 05:12 PM
(08-27-2017 03:50 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(08-26-2017 11:43 PM)JimP Wrote:  Yes. The Sinclair Programmable -- which looks like a Sinclair Oxford, but has a very limited program memory (24 steps) that is not preserved on power off. Despite this, the calculator came with a large program library. I have one of these in my drawer, it works, but due to inaccuracies, or rather, imprecision, it is little more than a collector's item.

Thanks for the hint! I just secured one off ebay UK Smile
Would you happen to have the documentation for it? My example will come as the bare calculator.

Found all I was looking for on Katies website!
08-28-2017, 11:46 AM
I saw at least two Czerweny (or some similar spelling) RPN machines in the early 90s, I think they where LED based at least one of them, the one that wasn't programmable. They were supposedly produced in Argentina, too.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)