Lotus Agenda + Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop?
08-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Lotus Agenda + Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop?
I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with running Agenda 2.0 using Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop. Right now, I can run Agenda on my 200LX by using MaxDOS to swap everything (i.e. SysMgr) out to C:, thereby running with as much conventional RAM as possible. I've also got EMM200 providing it with 256 KB EMS from C:. Obviously, I can't switch back to any SysMgr apps while Agenda is running in this fashion.

Is it possible to run Agenda from within Software Carousel? In other words, is there enough conventional memory free inside an SC session to run it successfully? I don't think it's possible to get it running from within SysMgr (or if it is, you would have to disable so much stuff and have nothing else running that it wouldn't be worth forcing it in). But if it can run inside a Software Carousel session, I would think I can switch back and forth between Agenda and SysMgr, assuming I give it about 640 KB of C: to use as swap.

Thaddeus Computing appears to still sell Software Carousel for $50 on a 4 MB card, but I don't want to drop the money on it and find out that it can't be used to run Agenda. Anyone tried it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2017, 07:43 PM
RE: Lotus Agenda + Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop?
(08-10-2017 11:15 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  ... anybody here has had any experience with running Agenda 2.0 using Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop.
Is it possible to run Agenda from within Software Carousel? In other words, is there enough conventional memory free inside an SC session to run it successfully?...

Anyone tried it?
It has been over 10 years since I last used Agenda on one of my palmtops (the newest .AG file is dated 2007-01-10), but it must have been with Software Carousel.

However, I don't think that I ever ran it on one smaller than 8 MB. I have a couple of double-speed 8 MB 200LX systems. That doesn't provide any more DOS memory, but lets the C: drive hold more software and data files.

* newest .AG file is dated 2007-01-10
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2017, 08:21 PM
RE: Lotus Agenda + Software Carousel on a 2 MB palmtop?
(08-11-2017 07:43 PM)striegel Wrote:  It has been over 10 years since I last used Agenda on one of my palmtops (the newest .AG file is dated 2007-01-10), but it must have been with Software Carousel.

However, I don't think that I ever ran it on one smaller than 8 MB. I have a couple of double-speed 8 MB 200LX systems. That doesn't provide any more DOS memory, but lets the C: drive hold more software and data files.

* newest .AG file is dated 2007-01-10

Yeah, I put most of my stuff on a 64 MB CF card, so devoting 1 MB of the ~1.4 MB C: to swap/EMS/temp files wouldn't be a big problem. I mostly just need to be sure that Agenda can run under SC without the use of something like MaxDOS, which would probably push the SC task switcher out of memory.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)