hp prime simple integration doesn't work right...
07-11-2017, 02:44 AM
hp prime simple integration doesn't work right...
I've posted this already but haven't received any help.
I was trying to do a simple integral from 0 to infinity and it gives me a cryptic message I don't understand about antiderivatives. It gives me the correct answer when I click on enter a second time as long as I do an assume(a>0) first.
Here are the screen captures....
here is a collection of screen captures....attached below.
1. first time run assume(a>0) followed by the integral.

2. After hitting enter, the cryptic message.

3. Hitting enter again and getting the right answer of 1/a.

is there some commands i need to enter first apart from the assume to make this work without the cryptic message.
Thx
-D
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2017, 04:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 04:04 AM by Helge Gabert.)
RE: hp prime simple integration doesn't work right...
I thought Bernard replied well to your OP. Definite integration with symbolic variables with bounds involving infinity is problematic because checking for continuity between the bounds is not trivial. This is also a problem for expressions with symbolic variables in solve, as discussed in this older thread,

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7862.html
(Example 2).

Anyway, you found a way to get a correct answer with assume(a>0). The message you are seeing is only informational.
07-11-2017, 04:26 AM
The thing that bothers me (and others, as I've seen this in other places too), is that this does not occur on the TI-89, TI-NSPIRE, Wolfram alpha, or any of the other integration tools. This occurs on numerous integrals....the one I specified is one of the simplest e^-ax.....is about as simple an integral as is possible. It's a continuous function (no singularities). Why is the HP prime the only device that seems to be having this problem? If you work for HP, you should please look into this....Thx
Also, the message doesn't make sense.....saying taking the integral to infinity is difficult isn't an acceptable answer.....when every other tool can do it.....!!!
07-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I put in a new post to help others that may encounter these sorts of problems....here....
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8671.html
07-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Perhaps you can propose some better way to tell the user that the antiderivative was not checked to be continuous (remember I'm not a native English speaker). I avoid such checks if there is a parameter because in some situations it would take too much time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)