New Firmware soon?
03-09-2014, 12:49 PM
New Firmware soon?
From time to time I look on the HP FTP for a new firmware. I just saw that the "last change date" of some of the files is dated to March 6th 2014! However the filenames are still the same as from the november update. That is totally speculative, but: I hope that is an indicator for a firmware update coming soon :-)

I guess I''ll now try to imagine the new firmware with most bugs fixed, undo function and any Home/CAS confusion being gone ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: New Firmware soon?
Well observed ! It would be great Smile

http://mic.nic.free.fr - Youtube - Facebook
03-10-2014, 02:25 AM
No clue why the files there might have date changes. Nor would that indicate any new firmware pending. Nothing we did for certain. It would not surprise me if they migrated servers or something like that.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Tim, don't destroy my imaginations ;-)
03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
(03-10-2014 05:21 PM)Stefan Wrote:  Tim, don't destroy my imaginations ;-)

shift CAS
check Use i

I too hope that a ROM update continues to clear more from the Prime minefield.

Best,
Carl
03-10-2014, 05:51 PM
*plot twist* TW is lowering the hype so it is a real surprise. Angel

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Guessing game:
- there is very little chances to have an official advice that a firmware update is coming.
But
- we have got 1 update about 4 months after official release. If we can deduce a schedule, it is 3 updates a year. So it is about time.
- the communication kit for classroom have just been announced, one can expect a firmware update soon.
- the product is very young and numerous bugs have been reported, one can expect a firmware update soon.
- Now is about the right time to exhibit the new features making Prime attractive to classrooms in order to have schools choosing it for next school year.

So my guess is 3 updates a year, next should be March-April, and August.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
If the Prime would be a smartphone somebody of HP's marketing would "leak" a blurry photo of the calc with the new firmware to make people drool and create some buzz. ^^
[Image: 1zlc7bb.jpg]
03-10-2014, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 08:01 PM by jebem.)
(03-10-2014 06:51 PM)Stefan Wrote:  If the Prime would be a smartphone somebody of HP's marketing would "leak" a blurry photo of the calc with the new firmware to make people drool and create some buzz. ^^

Great photo! Is that real?
I checked the HP ftp site, and 3 from the 4 files has in fact an 2014 modified date, while one file still shows a 2013 modified date.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
(03-10-2014 08:00 PM)jebem Wrote:  Great photo! Is that real?

Yes*, I've got that from a close friend of mine (he always gets the latest version a little bit earlier):
[Image: 2s8o8j7.jpg]

*: Means no ;-)
03-10-2014, 09:06 PM
We passed something like r80000 last week. That would be hopelessly old... :-P

TW

03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
hahaha...excellent development team motivation! What else is better than spending some time in a nice Cuban hot summer resort?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-11-2014, 06:59 PM
The Prime accepts modified (and therefore probably arbitrary) firmware upgrades, so I think that the blurry picture could be obtained directly (without image post-processing) from a real calculator, whatever the firmware version it actually runs Wink

More seriously, yeah, I too think that a new version, this month or next month, would be a good gift for Prime users.
03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
(03-11-2014 06:59 PM)debrouxl Wrote:  The Prime accepts modified (and therefore probably arbitrary) firmware upgrades, so I think that the blurry picture could be obtained directly (without image post-processing) from a real calculator, whatever the firmware version it actually runs Wink

More seriously, yeah, I too think that a new version, this month or next month, would be a good gift for Prime users.

It might be just a image sent to the Prime.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
(03-11-2014 07:16 PM)eried Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 06:59 PM)debrouxl Wrote:  The Prime accepts modified (and therefore probably arbitrary) firmware upgrades, so I think that the blurry picture could be obtained directly (without image post-processing) from a real calculator, whatever the firmware version it actually runs Wink

It might be just a image sent to the Prime.

An astute observation...

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Easily made using the built-in Notes editor:

[Image: PrimeFakeVersion.png]

This reminds me of a hilarious moment at an HPCC conference in London back in the HP 48 days. A fellow was wandering around checking everybody's HP 48 ROM version. When he executed VERSION on my 48GX, it returned this to the stack:

"Version HP48-S"
"Copyright HP 1994"

He freaked out with excitement, almost having a full nergasm right there in public. So I really, really hated being forced to admit to him that I had a program in HOME called VERSION with those two strings in it.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
(03-10-2014 08:37 PM)Stefan Wrote:  Yes*, I've got that from a close friend of mine (he always gets the latest version a little bit earlier):
*: Means no ;-)

Hi Stefan,
I just saw that You have sold your HP Prime... is that final?
I'm missing already Your frequent posts exposing the so many unexpected behaviors of our friend HP Prime.
I'm sure that many more people here were learning from you as well I was doing.
All the best!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
(03-12-2014 09:44 PM)jebem Wrote:  Hi Stefan,
I just saw that You have sold your HP Prime... is that final?
If "final" means that its sold and gone from my desk: Yep, its already at the post office.
If "final" means that I will never ever own a Prime anymore: Maybe at a later point I will buy it again.

(03-12-2014 09:44 PM)jebem Wrote:  I'm missing already Your frequent posts exposing the so many unexpected behaviors of our friend HP Prime.
From now on I will hunt and report on bugs in the emulator ;-)
05-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Is there an email list anywhere to subscribe to for new firmware releases [not just speculation] so I can hide my Prime in a draw somewhere out of site out of mind untill the firmwares finished cooking?
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Nothing official from HP.

However, if you open the connectivity kit it will automatically check every 7 days, or you can manually run the "check for update".

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)