RPL+ / ND1 / RPN2 and RPL/RPN dialects
04-18-2017, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 06:05 PM by pier4r.)
RPL+ / ND1 / RPN2 and RPL/RPN dialects
While I was trying to search possible mentions of libraries for manipulating lists ( search string site:hpmuseum.org list library ) I ended up in an interesting thread. There I discovered that the RPN2 exists and the RPL+ exist in form of ND1 . I wonder how many dialects of RPL were created by HP users, so far I knew only newRPL and I was unaware of the rest. I really thought that the challenge to create a new RPL language, especially for a calculator, was not interesting many.

So, first question: do you know any other RPL dialect out there? I mean those originated from usage of HP calculators. Could you share them?

Second question: is the developer developing RPL+ , Oliver Unter Ecker, still active in this forum? Could he give us an update about the ND1 / RPL + project ?

Surely he did quite a work, even just for locating proper javascript libraries. (I cannot compare it with the work of Claudio, although Claudio is wrestling with more limitations, I believe)

Third point: I found out that Namir produced a RPN2 implementation in excel. Is that in some repository / hpcalc.org files?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2017, 07:36 AM
RE: RPL+ / ND1 / RPN2 and RPL/RPN dialects
I just found another work of Namir that to me is not well known.

http://www.namirshammas.com/NEW/CPRCA01.zip , Console Programmable RPN Calcutlator Application . The manual shows that is a pretty large work with a lot of implemented functions.

04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
(04-19-2017 07:36 AM)pier4r Wrote:  I just found another work of Namir that to me is not well known.

http://www.namirshammas.com/NEW/CPRCA01.zip , Console Programmable RPN Calcutlator Application . The manual shows that is a pretty large work with a lot of implemented functions.

Glad you found it! :-)

Namir
04-23-2017, 03:36 PM
From this discussion (I'm trying to get useful info about newRPL for the wiki) I got the RPL/2, once again from an HP calculator.

http://www.rpl2.net/index.php

How many implementations, how little visibility Sad . There are even several members doing their projects but apparently not sharing them.

05-02-2017, 10:04 PM
To my joy, I was searching something on the comp.sys.hp48 (note 1) and to my delight not only the newsgroup is active - while I thought it was dormant since years - I also saw a post of a member that I saw only years ago.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...TsH1jGnaws

http://www.finseth.com/rpnrpl.html

This is quite a collection that, while maybe not exhaustive (see Free42 at the version 1 still and newRPL missing), is surely helpful.

note:1 that should be the one of the three big forum communities about Hp calculators, the other two being this forum and the official forum. Are there any others?

05-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I've been working on-and-off (mostly off recently Sad ) on an RPL implementation in C++. What makes it unique to my knowledge is that it targets source code compatibility with sysRPL rather than userRPL.
05-12-2017, 10:56 PM
(05-11-2017 09:44 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I've been working on-and-off (mostly off recently Sad ) on an RPL implementation in C++. What makes it unique to my knowledge is that it targets source code compatibility with sysRPL rather than userRPL.

Do you have any release / repository?

It seems a complementary approach to the one of Claudio with newRPL.

05-13-2017, 01:50 AM
(04-18-2017 06:04 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Second question: is the developer developing RPL+ , Oliver Unter Ecker, still active in this forum? Could he give us an update about the ND1 / RPL + project ?

As a user of ND1, I often look at the ND1 forum at http://forums.naivedesign.com/index.php. The latest version of ND1 is 1.6, from around October 30, 2016. He added the capability to create separate calculators, have optional arguments to functions, added some new functions and abilities.

He also did some work on GolfScript, another language he is implementing on the platform.

I think he is very busy on other things - for a while, the website was gone, but has returned.

David Motto
05-13-2017, 08:17 AM
(05-13-2017 01:50 AM)DGM Wrote:  I think he is very busy on other things - for a while, the website was gone, but has returned.

David Motto

Thanks for the info! And ND1 is quite a project (like newRPL, sort of) I hope to replicate it in very small parts one day.

06-28-2017, 08:29 AM
(04-23-2017 03:36 PM)pier4r Wrote:  From this discussion (I'm trying to get useful info about newRPL for the wiki) I got the RPL/2, once again from an HP calculator.

http://www.rpl2.net/index.php

How many implementations, how little visibility Sad . There are even several members doing their projects but apparently not sharing them.

I can open a CVS access if someone want to contribute. But since 1991, nobody has proposed to write some pieces of code :-(
06-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Well not everyone can due to many reasons (for example I'm already full for the moment with list processing and new rpl) . Csv, although working, may hinder new people. May I suggest a git /github /sourceforge repository?

06-30-2017, 07:44 AM
(06-28-2017 06:02 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Csv, although working, may hinder new people. May I suggest a git /github /sourceforge repository?

I use a CVS tree as this tree is not distributed. But I can open access and I accept patches.

I have posted some announces to find more developers or documentation maintainer. I haven't obtained any answer.

RPL/2 was created in 1989 and public available since 1999 (under CeCILL license). I don't remember if someone has sent a simple patch since 1999 even if this tool is regularly downloaded (more that 100 times by month).

Thus, I'm not sure I will continue to develop this tool.
06-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Sad to hear that. Anyway if the tool is mature enough, the simple fact that it exists and it is usable is great.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)