hp-prime with miniHDMI port
05-22-2017, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 12:01 PM by compsystems.)
hp-prime with miniHDMI port
Hello,

To make presentations in the classroom with calculators, one option is:

A classroom with a video beam and a computer for the teacher, in addition to installing the hp-prime simulator. But for a class room only with videobeam would be very useful a calculator with a miniHDMI port.

Some CASIO and TI calculators have released some devices for connection to TV monitors, projectors, etc.
[Image: oh7700g.jpg]
Source: http://casio.ledudu.com/pockets.asp?type=2332&lg=eng

[Image: VI%209850Ga%20PLUS_small.jpg]

[Image: VI%209850Ga%20PLUS_1.jpg]

My idea is for HP to release a new hp-prime or a connecting accessory to connect to a projector or TV
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2017, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 01:36 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: hp-prime with miniHDMI port
Until such an option becomes available you might consider running the Android emulator instead - some phones have the capability to output the phone screen in HDMI format to a TV etc.

My own phone doesn't offer that, so I cannot confirm.

Of course, HDMI resolution would be even better.

Update: Check before buying - some specs only refer to video playback, no screen display.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Since anyone can simply run the virtual calculator on just about any platform now, there really is no point in making specialized hardware such as what you described.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
05-22-2017, 04:17 PM
The idea is to include portable technology only as calculator and not simulators on external hardware.

Could be simply an accessory similar to the WIFI cartridge
[Image: HP-Prime-Kit_ml.jpg]
Source
https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/Wirel...a-HP-Prime
05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
How about a computer with a monitor? I hear those are pretty common these days. Some even have a monitor built in!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-22-2017, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 05:39 PM by pier4r.)
(05-22-2017 01:16 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Until such an option becomes available you might consider running the Android emulator instead - some phones have the capability to output the phone screen in HDMI format to a TV etc.

you can buy an OTG to HDMI adapter, often should work with android.

Tim has also a point.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
05-22-2017, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 05:47 PM by Han.)
While the idea may seem neat from a technological point of view, you have not really presented a strong argument for the need of a specialized device, or even a wifi dongle.

In the old days, the reason there were specialized versions of calculators for overhead projectors was due to the vast differences in the hardware between calculator and computers. Firmware was written in assembly language, which made it very hard to maintain a separate, but equivalent computer version of the firmware. Nowadays, the firmwares are programmed in a more portable manner with an abstraction layer between the hardware and firmware. This is partly possible due to much more powerful hardware.

Computers are much more common than hand-held calculators. In fact, pretty much any where you see a projector screen, the chances are very high that the projector is connected to a computer. So what advantage would a calculator with the ability to connect to a projector have over a computer running the same calculator software connected to the same projector? The computer would not only run the software faster, but has more resources available to it. Any presentation related to calculators would very likely require additional presentation software that the calculator itself would simply not have.

05-22-2017, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 01:23 AM by compsystems.)
Just like a remote control that commands a TV, The idea of showing the operation of the "mathematical" device from the palm of the hand, It is clear that if you could avoid the connection cable, I would like to see that the WIFI device of the hp-prime will communicate with the "hp connection kit" software to show it in the projector
05-22-2017, 07:22 PM
(05-22-2017 03:08 PM)Han Wrote:  Since anyone can simply run the virtual calculator on just about any platform now,

Would it run on a Raspberry Pi zero W?
05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
The HP Prime doesnt run on Raspi AFAIK.

One theoretical use for such a wifi/hdmi would be if the portable screen could be switched off - saving battery power if the wifi/hdmi needed less power than the screen.

Also consider that one might be able to feed a hdmi signal for display, but might not have admin rights to install a HP Prime emulator on the PC displaying the presentation.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
05-24-2017, 04:55 AM
Hello,

In the old days, HP used to have such specialized HW, created especially for that reason: Projection in classrooms.

However, with the advent of video projector and PC, HP has switched to the use of calculator emulator for this purpose. The switch has a couple of advantages:
- It is much cheaper/easier for HP
- When the teacher uses the projected emulator, the students not only see the calculator screen, but also the key presses. The fact that the student did not see them with previous solutions was a big issue!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-24-2017, 09:50 AM
(05-22-2017 07:22 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 03:08 PM)Han Wrote:  Since anyone can simply run the virtual calculator on just about any platform now,

Would it run on a Raspberry Pi zero W?

If it runs on a Linux-based OS, then yes it would.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
(05-24-2017 04:55 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

In the old days, HP used to have such specialized HW, created especially for that reason: Projection in classrooms.

However, with the advent of video projector and PC, HP has switched to the use of calculator emulator for this purpose. The switch has a couple of advantages:
- It is much cheaper/easier for HP
- When the teacher uses the projected emulator, the students not only see the calculator screen, but also the key presses. The fact that the student did not see them with previous solutions was a big issue!

Cyrille

Well, but there is a problem that the teacher has to be sitting in front of the computer, now when he has to use the board he has to stop whenever he needs it, while with the calculator in hand this can leave momentarily at a desk and continue class .

For this it is required that the WIFI module or cartridge can be connected in some way with the simulator and then projected.

Another solution is to use a tabletpc with HDMI port, running the simulator, but there is the inconvenience of the connector cable to the projector
05-24-2017, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 04:20 PM by Thomas_Sch.)
(05-24-2017 12:44 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Well, but there is a problem that the teacher has to be sitting in front of the computer, now when he has to use the board he has to stop whenever he needs it, while with the calculator in hand this can leave momentarily at a desk and continue class .

For this it is required that the WIFI module or cartridge can be connected in some way with the simulator and then projected.

Dear compsystems,
in my opinion you could ..
a) ask HP for a special version of the Prime calculator for you, est. number of modified calculators?
or
b) ask the communiy, if there are more users with your conditions/requirements, and if they are willing to pay for a very special model.
05-24-2017, 05:07 PM
(05-24-2017 12:44 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Well, but there is a problem that the teacher has to be sitting in front of the computer, now when he has to use the board he has to stop whenever he needs it, while with the calculator in hand this can leave momentarily at a desk and continue class .

Another solution is to use a tabletpc with HDMI port, running the simulator, but there is the inconvenience of the connector cable to the projector

There are already existing solutions for the problem you describe. First, why not connect the teacher's computer to the projector? Many classrooms I have been in have cables that run from the projector to ports in the wall near the instructor's desk. Then a simple VGA/DVI/HDMI cable to that port from the computer is all that is needed. There are also many cheap wifi projector adapters that will allow you to connect a computer to a projector for less than the price of a new calculator.

The wifi dongle classroom set for the HP Prime already allows you do pretty much do what you have been proposing without specialized calculators. The only complaint I have with the dongle is that there does not seem to be any option to buy a single dongle; it appears one must buy an entire classroom set.

05-24-2017, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 05:10 PM by Han.)
(05-22-2017 08:54 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  The HP Prime doesnt run on Raspi AFAIK.

One theoretical use for such a wifi/hdmi would be if the portable screen could be switched off - saving battery power if the wifi/hdmi needed less power than the screen.

Also consider that one might be able to feed a hdmi signal for display, but might not have admin rights to install a HP Prime emulator on the PC displaying the presentation.

It has run on Mac OS X (through Wine) even before the Mac version became available. If a Raspberry Pi can run a variant of Linux, then it likely can run a Wine version of the software. That said, I am pretty confident that their source code could be compiled for whatever platform they wish because they are using a portable code base (this is why it exists for so many different platforms already).

05-24-2017, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 05:40 PM by toml_12953.)
(05-24-2017 05:07 PM)Han Wrote:  

There are already existing solutions for the problem you describe. First, why not connect the teacher's computer to the projector? Many classrooms I have been in have cables that run from the projector to ports in the wall near the instructor's desk. Then a simple VGA/DVI/HDMI cable to that port from the computer is all that is needed. There are also many cheap wifi projector adapters that will allow you to connect a computer to a projector for less than the price of a new calculator.

The wifi dongle classroom set for the HP Prime already allows you do pretty much do what you have been proposing without specialized calculators. The only complaint I have with the dongle is that there does not seem to be any option to buy a single dongle; it appears one must buy an entire classroom set.

Maybe the folks here could get together and make a group purchase of a set. How many dongles are in a set? Thirty or so?

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-29-2017, 04:52 AM
Hello,

I believe (not 100% sure) that they now are 10 packs for the dongles.
I do not know if the pack comes with the antenna or not, but know that the antenna is not a "must".

The antenna is just the exact same dongle HW, but in a different "packaging" and with a high gain antenna which provides better emission/reception, thus allowing longer distances. However, you can plug a dongle in the PC and have the exact same functionality (at shorter distances)...

So, a 10 pack would be good for 5 pairs of dongles (one for the calc, one for the PC)...

Get in touch with Eric Rechlin, he might have purchased some dongles at one point. Not sure, but worth an email!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-29-2017, 02:44 PM
(05-29-2017 04:52 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Get in touch with Eric Rechlin, he might have purchased some dongles at one point. Not sure, but worth an email!

Unfortunately not. I have none and have never seen them for sale.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)