External battery for HP Prime?
03-14-2017, 09:00 PM
External battery for HP Prime?
I have a portable battery of those "smart" that has a Smart USB port and another Quick Charge 3.0, I would like to know if I can charge the HP Primer with that battery. It is possible to charge it with it, these batteries detect the charge to fix for a cell and the freighter completely turn off or disconnect, but they serve to charge the HP HP, I think the charger of the HP Prime is of 0.3 amps of current, and this Battery Can deliver up to 3 A of charge.
It would be very useful if it were so because then it would not be possible to stay "without load" in a test or another situation because the Prime comes to download and have a battery of these at hand would be the solution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2017, 11:13 PM
RE: External battery for HP Prime?
My charger can supply 1A, and the USB spec only allows 500 mA.

I would think that any charger that adheres to the USB current supply spec should be OK.
03-15-2017, 03:52 AM
I think the Prime charger says 3.7V and the battery I have I think will charge at 5V and a current of up to 3A depends on what you ask the device to connect, but I do not know if it can damage the calculator.
03-15-2017, 07:42 AM
(03-15-2017 03:52 AM)math7 Wrote:  I think the Prime charger says 3.7V and the battery I have I think will charge at 5V and a current of up to 3A depends on what you ask the device to connect, but I do not know if it can damage the calculator.

It won't damage the calculator.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2017, 07:47 AM
The Prime itself is designed to accept 5V because it connects to a USB port.

Power packs that provide USB ports for charging output 5V even if the battery inside them is only a 3.7V battery. There's a DC/DC converter that steps that up to the required 5V.

Chargers and power packs that say that they output, for example, 3A don't force that level of power through their load. It just means that they can provide up to 3A if you ask it of them.

Depending on what the Prime actually draws, a power pack will or will not work. Most devices being charged switch the charge to a very low level called "trickle" charge once their battery is full. Power packs detect this much reduced load and switch themselves off when that happens. The question is whether the normal charging current of the Prime is sufficient for the power pack not to think that it's gone into trickle charge mode and there's only one way for you to find that out. Try it!

No damage will be done to your Prime unless the power pack develops a fault and somehow blasts far too many volts down the pipe (unlikely, these things tend to just go dead if they go wrong). If that happens then the warranty on your Prime will be void because you were using a non-HP charger.
03-16-2017, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the answers, I'll try it with some fear, I hope that nothing bad happens that damages the calculator, the battery that I own the buy it in a very famous online store.
The battery I'm talking about is this

Battery external

I think it is useful to know this because when loading the Prime with the factory charger because it is possible that we forget and leave it connected more time than necessary to reach 100% and leave it 8 hours or more can be damaged little by little the battery Internal, while using an intelligent external battery, these batteries are disconnected as grsbanks says, so that at the time that no charge is detected is automatically disconnected even after 10 hours the external battery will turn off and will not supply more charge.
03-16-2017, 07:26 AM
You can't damage the Prime's battery by leaving the wall charger plugged in.

As I said, the device limits the charge to a trickle current once the battery is full.

Things have come a long way since the old days of NiCd and NiMH batteries, which definitely could be damaged by leaving them on charge for too long.

Also gone are the days when you had to discharge the battery fully and then charge it fully. That too was something inherent to NiCd and NiMH battery chemistry. Li-ion and Li-po batteries don't like that at all. It's best to maintain them somewhere between 40% and 80% charge to ensure as long a life as possible.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)