(soon to be) New HP prime asks re: 3-D
02-10-2017, 04:05 PM
(soon to be) New HP prime asks re: 3-D
Greetings All!

I already own an HP 50G but have decided I want an HP Prime. FWIW, I think
Prime is better suited to the Math Student. Anyway, that is my decision. I have the version
"C" out today for delivery and am excited to get it. I have already gotten the emulator
(Thank you HP!) as well as the standard .pdf's.

My question is re: 3-D Graphing. I can see from looking on You-Tube and this forum
there is at least person who has labored to make 3-D graphing a reality.
But ( and NO 'diss to this fine person), I want to ask the group as a Newbie:
Does this file work well? Not buggy? Is it a worthy addition to my Prime?
And if it is all good is it OK for me to load it soon after I take delivery or should I
work through the guides first before I start tweaking it?

My goal going forward is to get math smart - A goal I set for my retirement. So
even though I'm 62 I'm considering myself as High School Level and goal of College
Level Calc., etc. I am a good autodidact. Newton & Leibnitz never had a HP but
I think it's a great learning tool. If you can think of other D/L's that would be
helpful from the HP Prime software library please feel free to suggest them.
I love HP power and performance. Thank you for allowing me to belong here.

Please accept my thanks in advance,

cathexis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2017, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2017 01:31 PM by Han.)
RE: (soon to be) New HP prime asks re: 3-D
Before you download any program, I would recommend that the first thing you do is to update the firmware. This will involve installing the connectivity kit that is on the DVD that should come with the calculator.

1) Install connectivity kit.
2) Update the connectivity kit (it will probably automatically ask you for permission to update).
3) If it also asks you for permission to download the latest firmware onto your PC, you should do that too (may only ask this if you after you connect your HP Prime to your PC).
4) Install the new firmware via the connectivity kit.

From there, use the connectivity kit to install anything else. Usually, this will involve copying whatever .hppprgrm or .hppappdir file into your Prime folder, which is inside the Calculators folder, which sits within the HP Connectivity Kit folder (and that can be found inside your Documents folder). Then just drag/drop from the Content section in the connectivity kit into your HP Prime.

Definitely get up to speed first with the connectivity kit and virtual calculator (you can test all the software you want there). Transferring files can be done from connectivity kit to your calculator, or even between the virtual calculator and the actual calculator.

As for the 3D graphing app, it was designed with the novice in mind. The accompanying documentation should be more than sufficient even for the novice.

EDIT: And if not sufficient, you are always welcome/encouraged to raise the issues here on the forums.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Han,

Thank you very much for responding! I believe I have done steps 1-4. The CK asked for an update as soon as I opened it up.
I used the on-line files from HP rather than the CD so I could have the emulator to play with while waiting for the Prime to arrive.

As soon as I got the Prime I connected to my pc, charged it, opened CK and updated Prime. Reading from the Help/Setting info I have:
Software Version 2016.08.29.10637
Hardware Version: C
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Op. Sys.: V0.048.635

No more recent firmware updates were offered via the CK but I see one here that seems to date around 12.08 . BUT,...
I also see around 4+ pages of replies about it. Some seem to be having trouble. Can you tell me what really is the latest firmware?
Why isn't it offered via the CK? And finally, if there are problems with this 12.08 vers. is the one I have OK for 3-D graphing?
Meanwhile, I have more than enough to keep me busy while things sort out. I am very happy about owning a Prime and
SOOO glad I passed on the Nspire.

TIA,

Cathexis
02-13-2017, 03:37 PM
(02-12-2017 01:17 PM)cathexis Wrote:  No more recent firmware updates were offered via the CK but I see one here that seems to date around 12.08 . BUT,...
I also see around 4+ pages of replies about it. Some seem to be having trouble. Can you tell me what really is the latest firmware?
Why isn't it offered via the CK?

That release only provides a newer connectivity kit and virtual calculator and does not include any firmware for the hardware calculator.

Quote:And finally, if there are problems with this 12.08 vers. is the one I have OK for 3-D graphing?

I have not heard of any reports of the app misbehaving. But you always have the option of playing with any new program on the virtual calculator before sending it to your real calculator. And to do that, you can send it directly from the virtual calculator (as if you were connecting to actual pieces of hardware).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)