WTB: HP-65 AC adapter
01-29-2017, 01:42 AM
WTB: HP-65 AC adapter
I think I goofed mine by trying to charge a battery pack that was not making contact with the springs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2017, 02:33 AM
RE: WTB: HP-65 AC adapter
I would not have thought that a classic charger would care if the battery pack was making contact or not. What I have seen happen to these chargers is wires break in the cable. Does the 65 still work? The classic charger provides a separate regulated +5v to run the calculator when it is plugged in and also an unregulated voltage that charges the battery. Do you have a meter that you could check the voltage at the end of the charger cord?

Paul.
01-29-2017, 02:47 AM
(01-29-2017 02:33 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  I would not have thought that a classic charger would care if the battery pack was making contact or not. What I have seen happen to these chargers is wires break in the cable. Does the 65 still work? The classic charger provides a separate regulated +5v to run the calculator when it is plugged in and also an unregulated voltage that charges the battery. Do you have a meter that you could check the voltage at the end of the charger cord?

Paul.
Thanks Paul. No, I don't have a meter. The 65 still works. In fact, I have two 65's and both of them work, they just won't work when the charging cable is plugged in and a batt pack is present. And they used to work when the cable was plugged in to charge the battery. But I suspect the AC adapter was damaged when I went to charge one of the 65 batt packs for 12 hours and the batt pack was not making contact with the prongs in the batt compartment of the 65. I think that must have damaged the AC cable somehow, because the LED on the separate charger does not light up, so I think the AC adapter is faulty. That's why I am looking for a new one.

Don
01-29-2017, 03:05 AM
(01-29-2017 01:42 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I think I goofed mine by trying to charge a battery pack that was not making contact with the springs.

Don - Here is another option on TAS, a cable for charging HP's classic model machines, powered from USB port. These definitely do work, I have one. They used to be cheaper, but now are priced at $45, so not much better than adapter. Just a thought.

--Bob Prosperi
01-29-2017, 03:50 AM
(01-29-2017 03:05 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-29-2017 01:42 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I think I goofed mine by trying to charge a battery pack that was not making contact with the springs.

Don - Here is another option on TAS, a cable for charging HP's classic model machines, powered from USB port. These definitely do work, I have one. They used to be cheaper, but now are priced at $45, so not much better than adapter. Just a thought.

Thanks Bob, I didn't know about that. If I don't get any responses here for the old HP adapter, I may go that route. I suppose that would use the same USB wall adapter as my Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 USB chargers.
01-29-2017, 05:55 AM
(01-29-2017 02:47 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(01-29-2017 02:33 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  I would not have thought that a classic charger would care if the battery pack was making contact or not. What I have seen happen to these chargers is wires break in the cable. Does the 65 still work? The classic charger provides a separate regulated +5v to run the calculator when it is plugged in and also an unregulated voltage that charges the battery. Do you have a meter that you could check the voltage at the end of the charger cord?

Paul.
Thanks Paul. No, I don't have a meter. The 65 still works. In fact, I have two 65's and both of them work, they just won't work when the charging cable is plugged in and a batt pack is present. And they used to work when the cable was plugged in to charge the battery. But I suspect the AC adapter was damaged when I went to charge one of the 65 batt packs for 12 hours and the batt pack was not making contact with the prongs in the batt compartment of the 65. I think that must have damaged the AC cable somehow, because the LED on the separate charger does not light up, so I think the AC adapter is faulty. That's why I am looking for a new one.

Don

If it does not work with the charger plugged in that would suggest that the +5V on the charger cable is missing. When you plug the charger into the calculator there is a metal leaf in the socket that gets pushed away from the pins in the connector disconnecting the battery from the the electronics, so if there is no +5V from the charger the calculator will not operate.
One thing that just occurred to me is one version of the charger has a switch to select 110V or 220V input if switched to the 220V position and you plug it into 110V the output may be too low to operate the calculator.
01-29-2017, 02:57 PM
(01-29-2017 05:55 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  
(01-29-2017 02:47 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Thanks Paul. No, I don't have a meter. The 65 still works. In fact, I have two 65's and both of them work, they just won't work when the charging cable is plugged in and a batt pack is present. And they used to work when the cable was plugged in to charge the battery. But I suspect the AC adapter was damaged when I went to charge one of the 65 batt packs for 12 hours and the batt pack was not making contact with the prongs in the batt compartment of the 65. I think that must have damaged the AC cable somehow, because the LED on the separate charger does not light up, so I think the AC adapter is faulty. That's why I am looking for a new one.

Don

If it does not work with the charger plugged in that would suggest that the +5V on the charger cable is missing. When you plug the charger into the calculator there is a metal leaf in the socket that gets pushed away from the pins in the connector disconnecting the battery from the the electronics, so if there is no +5V from the charger the calculator will not operate.
One thing that just occurred to me is one version of the charger has a switch to select 110V or 220V input if switched to the 220V position and you plug it into 110V the output may be too low to operate the calculator.

It could be that there was a break in the cable, but it is not obvious from looking at the cable, and I don't have equipment to detect that. Yes, my adapter does have the 110/220 switch, which has always been set to 110 of course (I presume 220 is for Europe). I may try that USB cable Bob mentioned above, that's probably the best choice now.
01-29-2017, 11:53 PM
(01-29-2017 09:13 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  I think I have a few of these. I could go check in my stock of things. I don't want money - do you have anything interesting to trade?

Thanks Geir. Another member is loaning me an AC adapter he knows works, along with the USB adapter mentioned above, so I can troubleshoot a bit and see if my adapter is really faulty. If it is, I'll probably just get the USB adapter, mentioned above in the thread.

I'm afraid I have very little to trade. I purged my HP collection a few years ago and the only thing I have left are 2 12c's, 2 17b's, 2 17bii's, and 2 65's. I enjoy programming all of those in my olden age.

Don
02-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all for comments. I got one of the USB cables that Bob Prosperi mentioned above, and it seems to work fine. I can confirm that my HP-65 AC adapter was faulty.

By the way, the USB cable 3 hole plug won't fit in the separate standalone charger for Classics unless you trim back some of the plastic around the charger housing.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)