WP-34S newbie user - but how to start?
01-27-2017, 03:03 PM
WP-34S newbie user - but how to start?
I received a new WP-34S from my friend and I tried to make a short program on it and I'm totally confused. This confusing is increased when I downloaded Manual and after than the Beginner's Guide - which is less colorful but more pages to read.

I have paperform a really good HP-41C Manual and I can print a 42S Manual recommended parts if required.

What is your opinion how I can learn the programming (specially labeling and indirect addressing for SOLVE (i)) as efficiently as possible?! What is the philosophy behind programming of this machine?!

I have approx. 17 years programming experience on HP calculators, so I can learn fast - but I don't want to spend too many time on useless details. I need a really good organised manual which is goes through on the important steps - like the classic HP Manuals (eg. 15C).

Second problem: How can I decide in my unit installed or not a crystal?! I can start the Stopwatch and running without problem, but I have no information about this application is can to run without crystal or not?!

Thanks for the fast and efficient answers!
Csaba
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2017, 01:21 AM
RE: WP-34S newbie user - but how to start?
(01-27-2017 03:03 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  What is your opinion how I can learn the programming (specially labeling and indirect addressing for SOLVE (i)) as efficiently as possible?! What is the philosophy behind programming of this machine?!

Programming is designed to be very similar to the 42S. Enter program mode and type a keystroke program. Numeric and hot key labels are the same. Alpha labels are more limited than on the 42S -- three characters maximum. Get these via LBL ENTER and then the alpha keys.

You cannot indirectly SOLVE for an alpha label. Numeric only. Even if you ASTO a string into a register, the firmware cannot distinguish that from a number when attempting indirection.

A sequence like:
Code:
SLV->00
LBL 00
GTO'PR1
LBL 01
GTO'PR2
LBL 02
GTO'PR3
is possible and converts numeric labels into alpha ones kind of.

Quote:Second problem: How can I decide in my unit installed or not a crystal?! I can start the Stopwatch and running without problem, but I have no information about this application is can to run without crystal or not?!

Try the DATE or TIME commands from the X.FCN catalogue to see if the image supports the crystal. h-shift 3 then navigate with the arrows or start typing the command name using the alpha labels beside the keys. ENTER or XEQ to run the command.

If you get "no crystal installed" displayed, you've got firmware that doesn't support all the crystal based functionality but it is still possible there is a crystal. Press and hold ON then press C twice. If the machine locks up, you don't have a crystal. Take out the batteries to continue.

- Pauli
01-28-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 08:20 PM by Csaba Tizedes.)
Quote:You cannot indirectly SOLVE for an alpha label.
With indirect addressing I want to select a variable not a program label:

An example:
If I have an equation to calculate area (A) of a circle from its diameter (D), I can use the following program with indirect addressing (A=D^2×PI÷4):

Code:

Variables:
----------
  R00: for indirect addressing,
  R01: D (diameter of circle in meter),
  R02: A (area of the circle in sq. meters)

Program:
--------
  LBL'CIR'
    STO->00
    RCL 01
    x^2
    PI
    ÷
    RCL-02
  RTN
  END

Examples:
---------
A.) Calculating area from diameter: D:=2m -> A=3.14m^2
2 STO 00     // solve the equation for A
STO 01
f SLV 'CIR'
on the stack you can see the result: 3.14

B.) Calculating diameter from area: A:=150m^2 -> D=13.82m
1 STO 00     // solve the equation for D 
150 STO 02
f SLV 'CIR'
on the stack you can see the result: 13.82

Quote:Try the DATE or TIME commands
In the firmware identifier I found a "T" and I got a good hint in PM (thanks again): the XTAL? command gives me "true", so I guess I have a crystal!

Thanks for the answers!
Csaba
01-29-2017, 12:35 AM
(01-28-2017 08:18 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
Code:
A.) Calculating area from diameter: D:=2m -> A=3.14m^2
2 STO 00     // solve the equation for A
STO 01
f SLV 'CIR'
on the stack you can see the result: 3.14

Don't forget to provide two guesses for the solution in X and Y. So if you think the root is between 0 and 10, simply type 0 [ENTER] 10 SLV "CIR".

Otherwise SLV will start with the two values that happen to be in X in Y at that point. Which can result in unexpected results or none at all. For instance, in your example B, 1 and 150 are on the stack as these are the last two values entered. So SLV will try to find a solution between 1 and 150...

(01-28-2017 08:18 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  ...the XTAL? command gives me "true", so I guess I have a crystal!

That's what I was about to suggest. ;-)
The XTAL? test is supposed to check whether a crystal is installed or not.

Dieter
01-29-2017, 01:37 AM
(01-29-2017 12:35 AM)Dieter Wrote:  The XTAL? test is supposed to check whether a crystal is installed or not.

And I'd forgotten about it Sad

Pauli
01-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Some new question:

a.) On WP-34S have a register which is dedicated to indirect addressing or all of available registers able to use for this purpose?!

b.) It is possible to use "named" registers for solving problems?

c.) I read in the Manual somewhere the Flash Memory lifecycle approx 10'000 flashes. I want to save my equations (short programs) in FM to survive a battery down. But if I want to solve my equations during my work, it is recommended to load my program from FM to RAM or I can solve these programs directly from FM? What does it mean 'flashing' exactly?

Csaba
01-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Any register can be used for indirection.

I'm not sure what you mean by "named register". There are some single letter registers that have special properties (part of stack, last x, statistical parameters). If not otherwise used, these are general purpose too.

Writing to flash has the lifetime limitation. You can read it as often as you like. So create your programs. Once they are finished, store them in flash as a library and run them from there.

The 10,000 writes is likely quite conservative -- it is a guaranteed minimum.

- Pauli
01-30-2017, 10:08 PM
(01-29-2017 08:42 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean by "named register".

The 42s can use named variables. So you can do something like
RCL"RADIUS" x² Pi x STO"AREA".

This feature is not supported on the 34s.

Dieter
02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
I printed the following quick reference as multiple pages to a sheet front and back -- the whole thing fits on a few sheets and folds neatly into the case:

http://nsg.upor.net/sys/wp34s/pocket-reference.html

For a diagram of indirect addressing and registers, see page #2.
02-13-2017, 02:13 AM
I purchased the printed manual which is excellent.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)