HP 35S made in Phillipines -- new variant?
01-26-2017, 04:36 AM
HP 35S made in Phillipines -- new variant?
I saw a posting on TAS for an HP 35s marked "Made in the Philippines," with a serial number that begins with PHA6. Every other 35S that I've seen to date was marked "Product of China" and had serial numbers that started with CNA#.

Are there any notable differences in the hardware, firmware, or any other features with the newer Philippines-made units vs the older Chinese ones? I'm especially curious to know if some of the documented firmware bugs have been fixed, but other improvements would be welcome, too...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2017, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2017 11:41 AM by jebem.)
RE: HP 35S made in Phillipines -- new variant?
Found one. The blister labels says:
- Made in Philippines
- (c) Copyright 2015 HP
- HP Product #: F2215AA#ABA
- Serial No. PHA65101FY.

Does anyone know how to decode this serial number?

Hewlett Packard HP-35S RPN Scientific Calculator HP35S - NEW!

I think this seller is not really selling anything outside the USA, as he is asking 200 USD (!) to ship abroad. Really mad.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

EDIT1:
Meanwhile I have contacted an UK based seller and they have confirmed that they have this Philippines variant in stock.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-26-2017, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2017 11:05 PM by Paul Dale.)
(01-26-2017 04:36 AM)sat1410 Wrote:  I'm especially curious to know if some of the documented firmware bugs have been fixed, but other improvements would be welcome, too...

I'd be a bit surprised if there are any fixes. I seem to remember that HP doesn't have the source code for the device. That lives with the Chinese company that wrote it (Kenpo?).

Pauli
01-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Yes, HP only wrote the specification sheet, but that's not the reason why the bugs haven't been fixed. Remember the firmware is based on the 33s, which underwent some degree of maintenance, and was further developed to become the 35s firmware.

This thing sells since 10 years, and most buyers will never notice any of its bugs I'm sure. That's why HP will never change it as long as parts are available.
01-26-2017, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2017 12:37 PM by jebem.)
(01-26-2017 10:57 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I"d be a bit surprised if there are any fixes. I seem to remember that HP doesn't have the source code for the device. That lives with the Chinese company that wrote it (Kenpo?).

Kinpo TW was the company that designed and produced the HP-35S under HP project quality control. The original production was carried in China mainland.

It is intriguing why someone would be using Philippines plants to continue producing a machine that was originally designed and produced in China.
EDIT:
Well,found out the answer myself. Kinpo TW started new manufacturing plants in Philippines.

I guess only HP could explain this but I doubt any information will leak from that corporation.
Or maybe one of our fellow members will post here some tests from a HP-35S made in Philippines. That will show if the firmware is still the same.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Perusing old postings and news about HP calculators made in China, half of them refer to Kinpo and the other half refer to Kimpo.

Which of the following is true?
  1. Half of the postings are typos.
  2. Both companies did work for HP.
  3. Kinpo and Kimpo are really the same company.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2017, 04:34 PM
(01-26-2017 04:24 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Perusing old postings and news about HP calculators made in China, half of them refer to Kinpo and the other half refer to Kimpo.

Which of the following is true?
  1. Half of the postings are typos.
  2. Both companies did work for HP.
  3. Kinpo and Kimpo are really the same company.

I pick #1 and #3. But I cannot say which is the proper translation of whatever its Chinese name really is.

--Bob Prosperi
01-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Frys had the 35S on sale last year for $29 each so I picked up a pair. They were this same made in Philippines variation. I think I mentioned 35S made in Philippines in another thread somewhere before but nobody must have noticed.

I only opened and tried one a little bit. I never checked the bug list to see if anything has changed. One thing I did notice is that the keys were stiffer and took more force compared to an older 35S I have that was made in China. It could be that the keys are a little better now, but it's hard to say. Maybe I'll take a closer look at my new one tonight or over the weekend and report back if I have time.

Back to the keys again, overall they were stiffer, but not all are the same. I seem to remember one or two keys that took more force than the rest, but that's better to me than my made in China 35S. That made in China one has a divide key that clicks, but doesn't register sometimes. That's more dangerous. I can adapt to pushing keys harder overall, but it's hard to deal with one key that clicks but doesn't register.
01-27-2017, 03:04 AM
I just checked my one opened made in Philippines 35S. It has the same rom version as another one I have that was made in China. I used these instructions to check rom version: https://www.educalc.net/1273488.page
03-05-2018, 11:21 AM
I have two HP35s calculators. The first has a CN.... serial number and a poor keyboard that needs an extra hard press for some numbers/functions. The second has a PH... serial number and a much stiffer and more reliable keyboard. Inside it also has fewer screws holding down the keyboard. I suspect that the original keyboard had problems that were not successfully solved by using lots of screws, but that the Philippine factory has worked it out. So if you buy one, go for the models with a serial starting with PH... .
03-06-2018, 06:36 AM
Hello,

The main Kinpo factory used by HP has moved to the Philipines...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)