DM42 News
12-15-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: DM42 News
and here is another happy owner of the new DM42 :-)
Best wishes to SwissMicros, especially Michael, Thomas Okken, and all from the team.
... and of course to all new owners of the DM42
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2017, 12:47 PM
SN:00245 has just been unpacked.
That is; another happy guy today Smile

Thank you SwissMicros, Thomas Okken & Michael Steinmann with team.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-15-2017, 03:25 PM
(12-15-2017 12:21 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  and here is another happy owner of the new DM42 :-)
Best wishes to SwissMicros, especially Michael, Thomas Okken, and all from the team.
... and of course to all new owners of the DM42

I expect to be another happy guy in a week or so. Not sure it will make it in time to go under the tree!

.....Art
12-15-2017, 04:12 PM
I ordered on 12/9, the Saturday I found out before the email went out.

Any guesses on when it will make it to Tennessee here in the USA? :-)
12-15-2017, 04:18 PM
(12-15-2017 04:12 PM)Gene Wrote:  I ordered on 12/9, the Saturday I found out before the email went out.

If it clears through customs quickly (ask Mark Hardmann about customs and DM42s...) then I reckon there's a good chance you'll have yours by the end of next week.
12-15-2017, 04:47 PM
(12-15-2017 04:12 PM)Gene Wrote:  I ordered on 12/9, the Saturday I found out before the email went out.

When I ordered a 41L and 16L (well after they had been available), it was about 2 weeks to be delivered to MI. So, end of next week is feasible if shipping and customs aren't too backed up with Christmas stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Ordered 10 dec and received it today 15 dec to Sweden. Looks great so far.
12-15-2017, 06:09 PM
(12-15-2017 04:18 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  If it clears through customs quickly (ask Mark Hardmann about customs and DM42s...) then I reckon there's a good chance you'll have yours by the end of next week.

The answer is: Two weeks to Houston, TX (as long as customs doesn't get involved).

Here's my experience as posted on the DM42 beta support forum:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic....1299#p1299

For those not wanting to register (but why wouldn't you?!?!):

Re: serial no

Quote:Walter wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 am

And who has taken #43?

Funny story there.

My DM42 was shipped with the rest on May 22nd, but it never arrived. Thinking that it was lost, Michael shipped a replacement calculator on June 3rd. Alas, the first DM42 arrived this past Tuesday [June 13th]. The reason for its delay was immediately obvious; US Customs had inspected the calculator. But it was more than just an inspection. The stack was filled and the screen was covered with fingerprints. Someone assumed that it had a touchscreen. Now here's the killer. There was a short dice rolling function assigned to LBL A. Seems like there is a closet HP junky in the US Customs office.

This DM42 is serial number 00065. Perfect. The HP-65 was the second HP calculator that I ever owned.

The replacement DM42 arrived yesterday [June 16th], and as you might guess, it is serial no 00043.

I'd offer to swap it with you Walter, but from what I understand, serial number 00041 has some real hardware problems. Serial number 00065 will stay with me. Serial number 00043 is on its way to my Civil Engineer brother in Oregon.

Mark Hardman

[ETA: To be clear, SwissMicros was compensated for both DM-42s.]

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
12-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Mine arrived too. The sturdiest calculator I've ever touched. And heavy!

A first doubt, the EXIT button seems to turn on the calculator without the need of the Shift key. It could turn on easily in a pocket or backpack.

Kind regards
12-15-2017, 09:38 PM
In another forum people kindly informed me that this is the intended behaviour of the calculator. I was misled by the color of the ON which is the one of the shifted functions.

Kind regards,
12-16-2017, 12:55 PM
(12-15-2017 07:07 PM)zooropa1844 Wrote:  A first doubt, the EXIT button seems to turn on the calculator without the need of the Shift key. It could turn on easily in a pocket or backpack.

That's why it has a much lower profile than the other keys (just like the original HP-42S and a few other HP machines that I own). It makes it a lot less likely that you'll press it inadvertently.
12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Nice design detail, I hadn't noticed it. Now I see that it is the same in the HP50G.

Kind regards
12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Got mine yesterday. Very very nice. I have just noticed that one of the key (the most upper left (help)) has a different feeling than the others. Nothing critical if it stays that way. The most surprising is the weight of the calculator ;-)
That said, is there any way to turn the screen totally off? Having a permanent display is nice but its not the safest way to be for a LCD screen: it is much easier to alter a display on than off under inadvertent pressure due to the electric field in the LCD.

Regards to all.
12-16-2017, 01:39 PM
(12-16-2017 01:28 PM)Bunuel66 Wrote:  Got mine yesterday. Very very nice. I have just noticed that one of the key (the most upper left (help)) has a different feeling than the others. Nothing critical if it stays that way. The most surprising is the weight of the calculator ;-)
That said, is there any way to turn the screen totally off? Having a permanent display is nice but its not the safest way to be for a LCD screen: it is much easier to alter a display on than off under inadvertent pressure due to the electric field in the LCD.

Regards to all.

Yes, the weight is impressing and I like it Smile
Regarding the screen; I *think* that if you delete all but the "blank.bmp" in the "OFFIMG" folder you may acheive what you want. You probably have to connect to a PC (and copy/backup everything at the same time) to perform this deletion.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-16-2017, 02:07 PM
(12-16-2017 01:39 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  Regarding the screen; I *think* that if you delete all but the "blank.bmp" in the "OFFIMG" folder you may acheive what you want. You probably have to connect to a PC (and copy/backup everything at the same time) to perform this deletion.

This is correct.

However, the LCD is not switched on when the DM42 is powered down. It is a comparatively new technology of LCD that retains its contents even when switched off:

https://www.sharpsma.com/sharp-memory-lcd-technology
12-18-2017, 06:33 PM
I just received my Christmas Gift today from Swiss Micros. Delivered by the USPS and no need to sign for it.

So other U.S. people should start seeing their units arrive.

Now to set aside some time to play with it.

Very Happy!!

Bill
Smithville, NJ
12-18-2017, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 06:54 PM by Dave Britten.)
:O

I can't imagine it needing more than 2 more days to get to MI vs. NJ, so that's encouraging!

EDIT: WHAAAAAAT got mine in the mail just now! That was fast!
12-18-2017, 09:56 PM
I got both the ones I ordered today, looks really good so far.

As a note for anyone wanting a quick-start guide on some of the 42 functions, I did a series of videos a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcy7KZX4...D98mUT0ko5

Now, I do have a question: I was trying testing out entering a program (love the extra screen real-estate and the scrolling) and wasn't able to figure out how to use the alphabet next to all the keys for entering say, labels and such. Do you have to set a flag for that? I didn't see it in the onboard quick-start guide or the online one.
12-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Also, maybe nitpicky but is there anyway to show the "Entry" portion above the softkey menu and not at the very top (in other words, bump the stack up two rows instead of just one)? I find it a little slower glancing to both the top and the bottom of the screen and it would be nice to group those.
12-18-2017, 10:10 PM
(12-18-2017 09:56 PM)Logan Wrote:  I got both the ones I ordered today, looks really good so far.

As a note for anyone wanting a quick-start guide on some of the 42 functions, I did a series of videos a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcy7KZX4...D98mUT0ko5

Now, I do have a question: I was trying testing out entering a program (love the extra screen real-estate and the scrolling) and wasn't able to figure out how to use the alphabet next to all the keys for entering say, labels and such. Do you have to set a flag for that? I didn't see it in the onboard quick-start guide or the online one.

From another forum, verbatim, by grsbanks:

Quote:When in alpha mode, press [SHIFT] then [UP] or [DOWN]. You will see an annunciator at the top of the screen cycle through:

[ ]
[a]
[A]

When "[ ]" is visible, original HP-42S input is active.

When "[a]" (or "[A]") is visible, you get the lower (or upper) case letters directly on the keypad.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)