Random Numbers in Games
12-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Random Numbers in Games
When I write a game for the calculator or for Microsoft Small Basic I typically use uniformly distributed random generated numbers. I then use a low or high threshold probability value (such as 0.90, 0.95, 0.10, 0.15, and so on) to compare with the random numbers and determine the occurrence of an event. Since I am using uniformly distributed random numbers, the probability of reaching any of these threshold values is uniform.

To make things more difficult, you can use normally-distributed random numbers such as:

r = 0.5 + normalRand() / 6

The values for r have the highest probability at 0.5 and die out as you go above and below 0.5. The above equation gives ranges of values slightly below 0 and slightly above 1, so that values close to 0 and 1 don't become very unlikely (in case you want to use, say 0.01 as a threshold level in a game). You can use thresholds of say 0.2 or 0.8 (and values near them) to allow events to occur. However, unlike the uniformly distributed counterparts, the probability of occurrence of r around 0.2 or 0.8 is lower! This makes the game more challenging or more frustrating, depending on the game and your own patience to win.

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)