Classic battery door latch 3d model?
11-04-2016, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 06:23 PM by Harald.)
Classic battery door latch 3d model?
Has anyone created a 3d model of the classic battery door latches or would be willing to do so?
I wouldn't mind a complete battery door either. I am missing one door and at least 5 of the latches and would like to 3d print replacements.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 04:19 AM
RE: Classic battery door latch 3d model?
Greetings,

I was thinking of modeling the spice series battery door and could probably do the classic at the same time
11-05-2016, 11:03 AM
(11-05-2016 04:19 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  Greetings,

I was thinking of modeling the spice series battery door and could probably do the classic at the same time

That would be very much appreciated! Do you have an original to model it on?
11-05-2016, 01:36 PM
I have a good selection to work from, let me play around.
11-06-2016, 01:04 AM
uploaded here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4LTRMC...-inventory

I need a test run done before I open it up for everyone.
11-06-2016, 01:16 AM
(11-06-2016 01:04 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  uploaded here:

That is great news. Smile

But don't forget the spice battery door. This will be highly appreciated. I need two of them. Thanks for making these parts available.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
11-07-2016, 02:11 AM
The spice battery door is modeled, I just need to get a couple made to check form, fit, and function. Estimated cost on shapeways is about $5...so I just need to make sure it works.
11-07-2016, 07:35 AM
(11-06-2016 01:04 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  uploaded here:

Best news of the week so far :-). Thanks!
11-07-2016, 09:33 AM
I hope to get the classic battery door latches printed today and be able to give some feedback.
11-07-2016, 01:16 PM
This forum is impressive!

Three days ago I asked if anyone had a 3d model of the latch. Within a day Nate created a model and just now I have installed the printed parts in a battery door! Wow!

They were a tiny bit to wide, but that might be our printer. That was easily solved with a knife. The little "hook" that goes over the hump in the battery door. The one that almos always is missing from the original, seems to be a couple of 10th of a mm to short. But the latch works anyway.
I'll try and take some pictures when I get home to show this.

Thanks again Nate, for the quick and perfect job you have done!

Cheers,
Harald
11-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Shoot me pic's with the dimensions that need to be fixed, It will only take a couple minutes to update.

I am just now starting on the whole door for the classic calculator.
11-08-2016, 06:22 AM
I also have the model of the classic battery door done and doing a test run now...hopefully works with no changes and I should have an update about thanksgiving time.
11-09-2016, 02:08 PM
(11-08-2016 04:24 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  Shoot me pic's with the dimensions that need to be fixed, It will only take a couple minutes to update.

I am just now starting on the whole door for the classic calculator.

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to take better pictures but forgot to get the camera again. So here are the pictures from my mobile:

The "catch" on the latch is slightly too short, it doesn't go all the way over the hump:
[Image: latchi5uk8.jpg]

The door is missing a recess just to the inside of the hole for the latch:
[Image: doordfuti.jpg]

[Image: door3i1bb5.jpg]

As a quick fix I modified the latch so it fits now.

Here is what it looks like on the calculator:
[Image: door25nyyv.jpg]

I'll probably get a 3d print from shapeways after you have modified the files. We only have the material in the picture available at work. Plus I can't get too many things printed for my hobby here ;-)

Cheers,
Harald
11-20-2016, 01:50 AM
Just received the second set of classic (plus the latches) and spice battery doors from shapeways. First set needed tweaks, but the second set look good to go. I will post pictures and activate on shapeways later this weekend.

Harald, I will PM you for an address. I had extra of the battery latches made if you would like them.

Nate
11-20-2016, 03:38 PM
a few pics of version 2
[Image: IMG_0197.JPG][Image: IMG_0198.JPG][Image: IMG_0199.JPG][Image: IMG_0200.JPG][Image: IMG_0201.JPG]
12-03-2016, 11:25 AM
(11-07-2016 02:11 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  The spice battery door is modeled, I just need to get a couple made to check form, fit, and function. Estimated cost on shapeways is about $5...so I just need to make sure it works.

Is it available meanwhile? Did you make sure it works? I need at least 5 spice battery doors and two classics as well. Thanks for modeling and offering these parts.

I also need a red display cover for an HP-37E, but this seems beyond todays 3D print techniques Sad

Bernhard

12-03-2016, 06:06 PM
(12-03-2016 11:25 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Is it available meanwhile? Did you make sure it works? I need at least 5 spice battery doors and two classics as well. Thanks for modeling and offering these parts.

I also need a red display cover for an HP-37E, but this seems beyond todays 3D print techniques Sad

Bernhard

Yes, at shapeways under "wants_beer"
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=wants_beer&type=

I have a classic battery door (getting the latches to show up on shapeways is giving me issues...hopefully soon) out for beta test and feedback, and I just sent you a PM if you would like to beta test the spice battery door and give me feedback (I am already thinking slightly thicker, a little too flexable,and adjust slope and lenght...but currently close). I am also currently doing second round on 71B port/battery/HPIL/AUX covers and first round on 75C port covers.

BTW, I have a broken upper shell of a HP32E with a red lens in it...
12-03-2016, 06:37 PM
(12-03-2016 06:06 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  BTW, I have a broken upper shell of a HP32E with a red lens in it...

Thanks for the offer, I already got this piece from another friendly member of this forum, which is a pleonasmus by the way. Smile

Bernhard

12-17-2016, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2016 11:59 PM by Harald.)
Here are pictures of the classic battery door and latches Nate has sent me:

[Image: imageqsj6y.jpeg]

[Image: imageivjo8.jpeg]

The door fits quite well. If anything, the the bend in the door could be move slightly further to the back. The part of the door that is towards the charger connector is not quite flush with the calculator back. But it really isn't far off and I am not sure it is worth adjusting. Other than that the door fits perfectly.

Thanks for making the model available, Nate!

PS: What happened to the latches? Did you remove those from shapeways?
12-19-2016, 02:36 PM
The latches are still there, but for some reason I can't show them (and I forgot to fix it). I will try again today.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)