Special CrossOver for Mac or Linux
08-29-2016, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2016 02:38 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Special CrossOver for Mac or Linux
FYI

CrossOver 15 for Mac or Linux normally sold for $60 USD is currently available at $20 USD at MacWorld

CrossOver is a easy to use wrapper over the open source WINE libraries that allows running Windows applications without a Windows license and without the need to run a virtual machine.
It is not perfect but it get the job done most often than none.
For sure, if you already have VMware or Parallels and Windows licenses for your VM images then it is useless, but if not, at 20$ it is a great bargain.
I run VMWare, Parallels and others VM providers over OSX/Linux/BSD/*nix machines at home when needed, but it is less intrusive, when it works, to run CrossOver.

I have bought and installed the latest version (15.2) today and within minutes I was able to run several Virtual IL Tools (ILPer, ILPILBox, etc) from Christoph Gießelink.
The only small hiccup was that I had to manually create a soft link to map com4 to the USB-to-Serial interface (in my case /dev/cu.usbserial-AE006AJX) for the ILPer to correctly work.

Sylvain

Edit: typos
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Special CrossOver for Mac or Linux
I use CrossOver, too. I can confirm that Christoph's IL Tools run fine. I know of other people using this setup, and somebody once sent me a picture of his devices in action, see attachment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
RE: Special CrossOver for Mac or Linux
Seems they are working on CrossOver for Android as well. So it means I can run my windows SW on a Android tablet. Interesting....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)