Emu71/Win and Overlays
08-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Emu71/Win and Overlays
Can someone take pics of a 71 with the various overlays in place with close to the same perspective as the .bmp images specified in the KML files?

Since the KML scripts can be changed on-the-fly these could be used to "install" overlays for the various ROM's.

The steps necessary would be to scale and crop the images, then create copies of the existing KML scripts and edit the reference to the .bmp image. Then by choosing a new KML script it would be like popping in the overlay for the Finance, Translator, etc. module. It's important to have an image with the same perspective so the button positions don't need to be edited.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2016, 06:25 PM
RE: Emu71/Win and Overlays
Hello Dave,
I have tried to take some pictures but I am not equipped do to photography and without a light diffuser, a better camera, etc. the results are very poor.
Sylvain
08-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Hi Sylvain,

I understand your desire to produce high-quality images, but on the other hand, poor results may be better than nothing. Smile

I also have the high quality images of the overlays from you and Bob found in the HP-71B Compendium. I would think that someone with good Photoshop skills could doctor the overlay images onto the 71B images from the emulator.

Dave
08-06-2016, 10:31 PM
(08-03-2016 06:25 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Dave,
I have tried to take some pictures but I am not equipped do to photography and without a light diffuser, a better camera, etc. the results are very poor.
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for giving it a go.

So, who do we know with some good camera equipment and a large HP collection with the overlays that could take the pics? Smile

Dave
08-07-2016, 03:11 AM
(08-06-2016 10:31 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Thanks for giving it a go.

Dave,

I will contact a friend this week who has good camera equipment and I will ask him if I can borrow some of his equipment to take the pictures.

Sylvain
08-07-2016, 07:10 AM
A next offer to the community (and you Dave)

I have a professional camera and I could try to take some pictures. Just let me know the size, perspective and the overlays you need. Do you need only the overlays or the full calculator with overlay?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks Matthias and Sylvain,

I was hoping Matthias caught my subtle hint as I was pretty sure from the pics on his website that he had the necessary photo equipment and has shared pics in the past.

Sylvain, it's possible that you have overlays in your collection that Matthias does not, so contributions from both of you are much appreciated.

The goal is a set of bmp files cropped and scaled to 1024x768 and 800x600 that look like this:

[Image: HP71B.jpg]

It's important to get the same perspective so the display and keys are aligned with the display and key coordinates in the kml file. I don't have the proper lighting or camera equipment, but here's a test pic I took with my phone. All that's necessary is to edit the Title and Bitmap entries in the kml file.

[Image: 11in5ns.jpg]

So I suggest one image without any overlay so that the switching effect makes it appear that only the overlay has changed.

I'm aware of the following overlays:
* 41 Translator
* Finance
* Text Editor
* Data Acq
* RPN Calculator
* Super Surveyor
* AMP House - a beautiful set of 6 full-color overlays

And for completness:
* Touchpad
* Blank

Are there any other overlays for the 71?

Dave
08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
(08-07-2016 06:15 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'm aware of the following overlays:
* 41 Translator
* Finance
* Text Editor
* Data Acq
* RPN Calculator
* Super Surveyor
And for completness:
* Touchpad
* Blank

Dave,

Are the 41 Translator & RPN Calculator not the same ?
I do not have the AMP House anymore since I sent them to you.
I have: Data Acq, Finance, Text Editor, 41 Translator, Super Surveyor, TouchPad, Blank White, Blank Beige, Blanknut equivalent in aluminum.
I also have an overlay of unknown origin and for surveying (may be, not sure).

Sylvain
08-07-2016, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 07:32 PM by HP-Collection.)
I wrote to Christioph for the picture resolution. I would prefer, if the software window would be resizable so I could also take the picture with a higher resolution.
For the overlays I will have a look what I have.

I guess, it makes sence to take all pictures at the same time as it's not allowed to change the setting of the camera.

@Dave: As you should know by my last PMs: If I get asked friendly (and directly, so no subtle hint is needed) you can get for free what you desire Wink
08-07-2016, 07:50 PM
(08-07-2016 07:30 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I wrote to Christioph for the picture resolution. I would prefer, if the software window would be resizable so I could also take the picture with a higher resolution.
For the overlays I will have a look what I have.

I seem to recall being able to scale and crop the image without any hassle using a free program, FSViewer. If it's easier to simply provide the original hi-res pics then I can do the cropping and scaling.

Dave
08-08-2016, 07:27 AM
I think, we should only take pictures / scan sof the overlay and then use Photoshop to combine it with the original picture of HP.
08-08-2016, 04:00 PM
(08-07-2016 06:37 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Are the 41 Translator & RPN Calculator not the same ?
I do not have the AMP House anymore since I sent them to you.
I have: Data Acq, Finance, Text Editor, 41 Translator, Super Surveyor, TouchPad, Blank White, Blank Beige, Blanknut equivalent in aluminum.
I also have an overlay of unknown origin and for surveying (may be, not sure).

No! The RPN Calculator is something else.

[Image: 2i04ys5.jpg] [Image: 126efqb.jpg]

This is from Bob's collection. Looks like something that can be added to the Compendium. Smile

What's this aluminum blanknut overlay?

(08-08-2016 07:27 AM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I think, we should only take pictures / scan sof the overlay and then use Photoshop to combine it with the original picture of HP.

I think we have pics of most of the overlays - look in the HP-71B Compendium. I don't do much photo editing so is this something you can do?

Dave
08-08-2016, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 04:44 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(08-08-2016 04:00 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  No! The RPN Calculator is something else.

[Image: 2i04ys5.jpg] [Image: 126efqb.jpg]

This is from Bob's collection. Looks like something that can be added to the Compendium. Smile

Yep! I need to go back work on it.

(08-08-2016 04:00 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  What's this aluminum blanknut overlay?

aluminum blanknut overlay or bezel ?
My understanding is that it is supposed to be glued on the plastic and act as a replacement of the original bezel.

Sylvain

edit: typo
08-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Is this what you desire, Dave?

HP-71B Finance overlay

HP-71B Finance KML File
08-08-2016, 05:30 PM
(08-08-2016 05:27 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Is this what you desire, Dave?

HP-71B Finance overlay

HP-71B Finance KML File

Great picture Matthias, thank you!
I will try it later today on Emu71.
Best regards,
Sylvain
08-08-2016, 05:56 PM
The work is not very hard and I can make them in serie. (Yes, it IS a FREE gift from me to the community, as well as the HP module database (be surprised for the next update, free for you as well but not for me) and the Allschwil Meeting).
08-08-2016, 06:03 PM

HP-71B Finance overlay

HP-71B Finance KML File

That looks awesome! You also got the annunciators which I didn't mention.

Did you find the other overlay images or are you missing any?

Dave
08-08-2016, 07:37 PM
(08-08-2016 06:03 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  

HP-71B Finance overlay

HP-71B Finance KML File

That looks awesome! You also got the annunciators which I didn't mention.

Did you find the other overlay images or are you missing any?

Dave

Surprise, surprise my dear Wink
08-08-2016, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 11:56 PM by HP-Collection.)
(08-07-2016 06:15 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'm aware of the following overlays:
* 41 Translator
* Finance
* Text Editor
* Data Acq
* RPN Calculator
* Super Surveyor

And for completness:
* Touchpad
* Blank

Dave

YES, of course there are some more......

(By-the-way: The link fo rthe Finance overlay does no longer work. Let's wait for the results of the BETA tester)
08-09-2016, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 12:16 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(08-08-2016 11:52 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  
* 41 Translator
* Finance
* Text Editor
* Data Acq
* RPN Calculator
* Super Surveyor

And for completness:
* Touchpad
* Blank

Dave

YES, of course there are some more......

(By-the-way: The link fo rthe Finance overlay does no longer work. Let's wait for the results of the BETA tester)

Hi Matthias,

What other overlays do you have and who's the beta tester?

As far as my test results go, the display looks a little splotchy on the left side compared to the original image.

Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)