67 Emulator Available
07-02-2016, 06:28 AM
67 Emulator Available
Hi all,

I have uploaded the new emulators to teenix.org

There are downloads available for the following calculator models.

HP35, 45, 55, 65, 67, 70, 80, 21, 22, 25, 27 and 29C.

The 67 is fully functional and can load and store cards to the PC hard disk controlled by its own microcode. It also has the option to "park" a card in the slot and wait for a [Pause] command before automatically loading it.

I created 24 program cards that cover all the examples in the 67 owners manual and are available with the 67 download.

The PC version emulates the 29C Continuous Memory and will "remember" where it was after turning off the power, changing calculator models or restarting the emulator. You can also "remove the battery" to force a reset.

The hardware emulator does all calculator models listed here, except the 29C does not have the continuous memory enabled as the PCB needs a modification which I will do soon. It will also emulate the 67 "park" function.

The older PCB designs will still run all calculator models.

The hardware memory cards can only store 51 programs per card now instead of 64, as the 67 uses more memory space per program. You can also mix and match 65 programs and 67 program/data on each card. To keep track of what's on them, a new [directory] function was added to the PC's programmer window.

I have also added a text based program card editor for the 65 and 67 with basic syntax checking and can accept listings like...

1. RCL 1
2. +
3. STO+2
4. CLx
etc

The text files can be saved as *.hpp files which are specially formatted to load directly into the emulator and for use in the hardware calculator. They include the headers, status info, data and checksums, plus they also have embedded program card image filenames.

There were too many changes to mention since the last update and I'm sure a bug or two will appear sooner or later, however I will fix them as soon as I am notified.

A big thanks to Bernhard for helping solve some sticky situations along the way.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 08:56 AM
RE: 67 Emulator Available
(07-02-2016 06:28 AM)teenix Wrote:  I have uploaded the new emulators to teenix.org
Thanks for the update - great collection!

Unfortunately there's a problem with this new version:
In all old calculator (35/45/55/65/67/70/80) the numbers in the LED-display are now not completely visible, they are cut off at the bottom.
The previous version didn't have this problem.

Regards,
Franz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Hi Franz

In all old calculator (35/45/55/65/67/70/80) the numbers in the LED-display are now not completely visible, they are cut off at the bottom.

I changed the display's screen coordinates.
Also made the [Auto RAM Select option] default to OFF,
and widened the text fields for the register displays

New [cce33 install] upload available. Hopefully ok now.

cheers

Tony
07-02-2016, 01:53 PM
(07-02-2016 10:15 AM)teenix Wrote:  New [cce33 install] upload available. Hopefully ok now.

Well, I still get the same old installer (even after clearing the browser cache) ... Sad

Franz
07-02-2016, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 10:44 PM by Helix.)
My antivirus software (Avast) doesn't allow me to use this program. If I scan the file CCE33setup.exe, it tells me there is no virus, however if I try to click on the file, it blocks the installation and deletes the file, and tells me it is dangerous Sad. I'm reluctant to disable my antivirus protection.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits.

Jean-Charles
07-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I am on the second day of a 3 day journey home.

I have looked into the virus problem and have checked the software with 3 different anti virus programs and on different machines, and no threats were detected. Looking around the web, the Ws.Reputation.1 virus pops up, maybe just because the virus checkers deem the program as "hardly used" and give it a bad rating based on that fact alone and delete it even if no viruses are detected.

Anyway, I have checked and rechecked the software and it appears to be clean.

I have uploaded all the modules again, but this time they are in zipped format. Therefore it will be up to the user to decide where the files will go on their hard disks. However, once you have decided on a directory for the emulator, then all other zipped calculator modules must be unzipped into that same directory or the software will not find them.

I hope I fixed the problems that were reported so far. The software was designed using Win 7 on a new 64 bit machine. I have had issues in the past where newer Windows versions have display problems, and I suspect they render text etc in a different manner to earlier Win versions. Even though Windows attempts to be backwards compatible, these problems manifest themselves as text and images that appear in positions that were not intended. I took steps during the designing of the layout to account for this but it appears I missed a few items.

I will have access to a Win 10 machine when I get home and I will test further.

cheers

Tony
07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
(07-03-2016 01:26 PM)teenix Wrote:  I hope I fixed the problems that were reported so far.

Well, not the problem with the cut-off digits display - it's still the same.
And I'm not on any 'newer' Windows, I'm running Vista (32bit) here.

Franz
07-03-2016, 07:42 PM
(07-03-2016 04:04 PM)fhub Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 01:26 PM)teenix Wrote:  I hope I fixed the problems that were reported so far.

Well, not the problem with the cut-off digits display - it's still the same.

Franz

I have the same problem on Ubuntu and Wine. I will check on Windows 8 when I am at work tomorrow.

On wine I have another problem (and had it with the first version too). The transparent field for the key legends is completely transparent. Which mean I can see my desktop through it. But I guess that is more of a wine issue rather than a problem with your software.

Thanks for this really great emulator!

Harald
07-03-2016, 10:58 PM
(07-03-2016 04:04 PM)fhub Wrote:  Well, not the problem with the cut-off digits display - it's still the same.

Franz

Do you get the problem with the Woodstocks - like HP21.

cheers

Tony
07-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Hi,

I couldn't find any logical reason why the display is cropped at the bottom as there is more than enough room for it, however I changed the way the software acts showing the display.

The key legend text was also removed just in case it was being positioned wrong and causing the above problem. This should fix the transparency problem too. The key legends are now displayed as mouse hints.

New cce33.zip file uploaded.

cheers

Tony
07-04-2016, 12:08 AM
I use both versions as the old "installs" & shows under Control Program as installed software and the new version appears to run as an application. Have had no trouble using both at the same time, hence a bypass for digit cutting on classic models.

With my feeble vision, 2 pairs of glasses & a magnifying glass the classic models of the original software appear 11 dots tall. (top, sides-4, middle, sides-4, bottom) The Woodstocks also appear 11 dots tall, in the same fashion but are smaller. It looks like the bottom of Woodstock digits align exactly with the bottom-most displayed dot of classic models.

Classic digits with the new & old software seem identical, other than the cutting.

Have had issues with FIX mode display on Woodstocks. Digit 9 does not display, although the 10th will. Also, upon data entry the decimal point disappears with the 9th digit but does not reappear on the 10th. Decimal point value did work correctly. Interestingly, when utilizing the low power display, decimal point 10 (digit 9) does not disappear, but does disappear on digit 10 (11th decimal point). SCI mode is OK, but has same data entry & low digit display mannerisms.

For whatever that's all worth.

Neat-o emulators!! Been checking out various stuff I did with the real calc years ago. Works great!
07-04-2016, 02:42 AM
(07-04-2016 12:08 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  Have had issues with FIX mode display on Woodstocks. Digit 9 does not display, although the 10th will.....

I'm sorry, I missed that problem. Sometimes after long spells of writing code a problem is staring you in the face but you don't see it.

The display routine for the Woodstock types has been rewritten and a new cce33 upload is available.

I still haven't tracked down the display clipping problem for some PC's. I have been in transit travelling back home, so it's hard to nail just now. I checked out Microsoft's development site and even they say that catering for all the new display resolutions coming on to the market is difficult to deal with and can't guarantee a total solution.

It might be just a matter of fiddling with the program compatibility settings for cce33.exe for your own PC by right clicking on its desktop icon and the [Properties] -> [Compatibility] menu. however I am still researching the cause and will keep working on a solution.

Sorry for the teething problems

cheers

Tony
07-04-2016, 06:05 AM
(07-04-2016 02:42 AM)teenix Wrote:  Sorry for the teething problems
No reason to be sorry.

After looking again, I see my vision is worse than I thought. The classic-only version uses a 7x13 dot digit. The Woodstock version uses a 6x11 for Woodstocks and 7x11 for classics.

I was wrong, the layout of the original had 5 dot high sides per half-digit, not 4.

hmmm.... issue with new version just maybe a typo?

BTW the fix for the FIX/SCI works excellently on my system!
07-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi Tony!
(07-03-2016 11:36 PM)teenix Wrote:  I couldn't find any logical reason why the display is cropped at the bottom as there is more than enough room for it, however I changed the way the software acts showing the display.
No, also this new version doesn't change anything - still the same problem.
And it does NOT happen for the Woodstock models (HP-2x), only for the Classic HPs where the calculator image is a bit bigger (and the digits are also bigger, maybe that's the problem?).

Franz
07-04-2016, 08:33 AM
(07-04-2016 08:18 AM)fhub Wrote:  Hi Tony!
(07-03-2016 11:36 PM)teenix Wrote:  I couldn't find any logical reason why the display is cropped at the bottom as there is more than enough room for it, however I changed the way the software acts showing the display.
No, also this new version doesn't change anything - still the same problem.
And it does NOT happen for the Woodstock models (HP-2x), only for the Classic HPs where the calculator image is a bit bigger (and the digits are also bigger, maybe that's the problem?).

Franz

You were quicker than me again Franz.
Same here (on Windows 8.1 this time). The screenshot shows the original version on the left and the current one on the right.

[Image: 65_650cs1q.jpg]

I actually quite liked the way you were displaying the key legends. Did look very nice on a windows machine. And I can live with the problem on ubuntu with wine. I just thought it might be a clue to what was going on, as the digits were clipped at the edge of the transparent window.
07-04-2016, 10:56 AM
(07-03-2016 01:26 PM)teenix Wrote:  I have uploaded all the modules again, but this time they are in zipped format.

Thank you for providing the files in a zipped format. This time I had no problem for the installation. Your emulator seems promising!

I've downloaded the very last version with the HP 67 module. However, on my Windows 7 PC, I have the display clipping problem described above. I've tried to change the compatibility properties as you suggested, but the problem is still there. It looks like your emulator just needs a minor tweak in adjusting the size of the digits and/or the size of the display window.

Jean-Charles
07-04-2016, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2016 06:08 PM by fhub.)
Hi Tony,

I've now an idea what could be the reason for the problem with the cropped digits:
there's a setting in Windows where you can change the type/font size from the default 96dpi to 120dpi - some users with a very big monitor use this 120dpi setting for better reading of small texts.

Maybe you have also changed this in your Windows?
If 'yes' and you've adapted the size of the LED digits to this 120dpi mode, then I could imagine that with the standard 96dpi these digits won't fit in the area you've defined in your program!?

Just an idea, Wink
Franz
07-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Noticed something interesting in Harald's post with the images.

Looking at the unlit portion of the display you'll notice the off image is also cropped in the new version. Never noticed this before, but haven't messed with the 65/67 modes. The 35, 45, 55, 70, 80 shows the full "off" LED module image but, of course, is chopping the digits. Just find this difference interesting.

Tried fhub's suggestion & 120dpi showed the full digit; unfortunately, the 120dpi mode is not usable in my case.
07-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Hi all,

I was developing in 120dpi mode, but that shouldn't have mattered. However, working on the feedback lately, I found that the application was set to auto scale itself. That meant that images, buttons etc would scale to different display settings and looking at the images posted, that was what was happening. The display image was being cropped by Windows.

I could recreate the fault on my laptop by changing the font dpi setting to 96dpi.

I changed the application so that it doesn't scale and it now appears to work ok on both 120 and 96 dpi. This may have introduced other issues that I can't see so far, but I will have to deal with them as I become informed.

Thanks for the help trying to sort this out.

cheers

Tony
07-05-2016, 07:30 AM
(07-05-2016 03:24 AM)teenix Wrote:  I changed the application so that it doesn't scale and it now appears to work ok on both 120 and 96 dpi. This may have introduced other issues that I can't see so far, but I will have to deal with them as I become informed.

Thanks Tony, works for me now!

(07-05-2016 03:24 AM)teenix Wrote:  Thanks for the help trying to sort this out.
No, thank you for responding with updates so quickly!!!

Cheers,
Harald

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)