48SX computer connectivity
07-02-2016, 03:53 AM
48SX computer connectivity
What is the easiest and fastest modern way (please mention software & hardware) to connect a 48SX to a computer (preferably a Mac)? Obviously a USB method would be preferred if using a cable.

I own a 28S but nothing later. I'm just curious as to connectivity should I acquire a 48SX (not GX, but SX).

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 04:14 PM by cruff.)
RE: 48SX computer connectivity
The 48SX only has a serial port, which could be attached to a serial to USB cable. HP sold a cable that went from the 4 pins on the 48SX to a female 9 pin connector. People used to make their own from female pins epoxied to a piece of tongue depressor. I don't recall if I have my own version anymore, I have the official cable. If you go that route it would be easy to wire up a FTDI serial to USB adapter.

Then you can use Kermit to transfer data.
07-02-2016, 05:46 PM
(07-02-2016 04:14 PM)cruff Wrote:  The 48SX only has a serial port, which could be attached to a serial to USB cable. HP sold a cable that went from the 4 pins on the 48SX to a female 9 pin connector.

One of those HP cables is for sale here, but it only works with very old Macs that have that round serial connector (looks like a PS/2 or S-Video connector).

--Bob Prosperi
07-02-2016, 06:23 PM
First you need to acquire a hp48-serial to USB cable like the one here.

Then on the Mac running OSX ...

Download & Install MacPort (http://www.macports.org/install.php)

Run the "Terminal" application located in "Utilities" folder
// the following lines starting with "//" are comments
// on the command line, type de following ...

// update port software
sudo port selfupdate [return]

// update port installed packages
sudo port upgrade outdated [return]

// install kermit command line application
sudo port install kermit [return]

// connect the hp48-serial-to-USB cable & list your actives USB devices (in my case it's SLAB_USBtoUART)
ls /dev | grep USB [return]
// cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
// tty.SLAB_USBtoUART

// create a folder where you will put your HP-48 files
cd [return]
mkdir hp48 [return]
cd hp48 [return]

// start kermit software
kermit [return]

// configure kermit
C-Kermit> set line /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART [return]
C-Kermit> set baud 9600 [return]
C-Kermit> set parity none [return]
C-Kermit> set flow-control none [return]
C-Kermit> set carrier-watch off [return]

> start kermit server
C-Kermit> server [return]

The HP-48S/SX Owner's Manual Vol. II Chapter 33 P.612 to P.634 explain how to configure and use the serial interface on the calculator.

Sylvain
07-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Bob & Sylvain, thank you.
07-03-2016, 01:57 PM
(07-02-2016 06:23 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Run the "Terminal" application located in "Utilities" folder...

It seems that Hoppi might provide a more intuitive GUI to file transfer with a Mac. Have any of you Mac users tried it?
07-03-2016, 03:10 PM
(07-03-2016 01:57 PM)JDW Wrote:  It seems that Hoppi might provide a more intuitive GUI to file transfer with a Mac. Have any of you Mac users tried it?

Interesting, I have never used it.
I have to leave for the day but I will try it tonight and will report back.
Best regards,
Sylvain
07-04-2016, 01:12 PM
(07-03-2016 01:57 PM)JDW Wrote:  It seems that Hoppi might provide a more intuitive GUI to file transfer with a Mac. Have any of you Mac users tried it?

Hi there, I'm the author of Hoppi. I know at least one person has tried it with a 48SX and found that it works okay, and I myself have a 48GX and 49G+/50G so know for sure that it works okay with those calculators.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help.

Paul
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2016, 11:49 PM
(07-03-2016 03:10 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  ...I will try Hoppi tonight and will report back.

How did it go? And with what Mac and OS did you test?
07-05-2016, 12:55 AM
(07-04-2016 11:49 PM)JDW Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 03:10 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  ...I will try Hoppi tonight and will report back.

How did it go? And with what Mac and OS did you test?

Hello JDW,

Sorry for the testing delay, I had to finish something for another museum user.

My test system is a MacBook Pro 17" (8GB RAM & SSD) running 10.11.5.
- Downloaded v1.3.1 from here.
- Installation is pretty standard.
- Usage is not intuitive at first, but easy to use once you get the hang of it. (~ 5 minutes)
-> warning: the application will crash if you specify a data folder with spaces in the path
- I was able to transfer files from/to the HP-48SX to/from OSX without any issue.

Great job Paul for your Hoppi program, thanks!

Best regards,

Sylvain
07-05-2016, 12:25 PM
(07-05-2016 12:55 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  -> warning: the application will crash if you specify a data folder with spaces in the path

Oh bugger, that's not supposed to happen! I'll look into it...

Thanks for the feedback,
Paul
07-05-2016, 07:30 PM
(07-05-2016 12:25 PM)pdo Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 12:55 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  -> warning: the application will crash if you specify a data folder with spaces in the path
Oh bugger, that's not supposed to happen! I'll look into it...

Do you have a specific test case that causes a crash? I've been trying some folder names with spaces, but so far have not seen a problem -- I've tried a 48GX with the built-in "Transfer" app and a 49G+ with my Hoppi RPL library.

Thanks for your help,
Paul
07-05-2016, 08:00 PM
(07-05-2016 07:30 PM)pdo Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 12:25 PM)pdo Wrote:  Oh bugger, that's not supposed to happen! I'll look into it...

Do you have a specific test case that causes a crash? I've been trying some folder names with spaces, but so far have not seen a problem -- I've tried a 48GX with the built-in "Transfer" app and a 49G+ with my Hoppi RPL library.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Hello Paul,
It's 15h55 here (EDT GMT-4h) and I am at the office right now.
I will recreate the crash condition later tonight and report back the result.
Best regards,
Sylvain
07-06-2016, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 12:16 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(07-05-2016 07:30 PM)pdo Wrote:  Do you have a specific test case that causes a crash? I've been trying some folder names with spaces, but so far have not seen a problem -- I've tried a 48GX with the built-in "Transfer" app and a 49G+ with my Hoppi RPL library.

After several tests, it appears that semi-colon ';' is not loved by Hoppi. Wink

Create a folder like this: "HP-48 data (G;GX)"
Try to make it your active folder ... and bang, you end up in your console.

Remember, the only illegal characters for folder & filename in OSX with HFS+ are the colon ':' and forward slash '/', everything else is legal.
Also the max path length is 255.

Best regards,

Sylvain
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 12:26 PM by pdo.)
(07-06-2016 01:03 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  After several tests, it appears that semi-colon ';' is not loved by Hoppi. Wink

Okay, thanks for finding this. I'll look into it tonight when I get home (I'm in the UK, which is GMT+1 at the moment :-).

Regards,
Paul
07-06-2016, 08:50 PM
(07-06-2016 12:24 PM)pdo Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 01:03 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  After several tests, it appears that semi-colon ';' is not loved by Hoppi. Wink
Okay, thanks for finding this. I'll look into it tonight when I get home (I'm in the UK, which is GMT+1 at the moment :-).

Turns out this is to do with Common Lisp's logical pathname syntax, where semi-colon is a pathname component separator. Since I use some pathname manipulation functions in my code I have unfortunately allowed this Lispism to leak through to the application. Fixing this will take a little time (more than I have available tonight anyway), so until then I can only suggest that everyone avoid semi-colons in their names :-(

I'll post an update when it's fixed,
Paul

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)