HP 50G vs. HP Prime
06-29-2016, 01:09 PM
RE: HP 50G vs. HP Prime
(06-29-2016 01:00 PM)JDW Wrote:  
(06-29-2016 12:44 PM)dalupus Wrote:  Prime. 50G has them.

If there are no user softkeys on the Prime, what does the Prime use instead? Nothing? No customizability at all?

Has anyone figured out a way to replace the Prime's firmware to transform it into a really great calc? :-)

you can reprogram the actual keys themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2016, 09:16 PM
(06-29-2016 01:00 PM)JDW Wrote:  
(06-29-2016 12:44 PM)dalupus Wrote:  Prime. 50G has them.

If there are no user softkeys on the Prime, what does the Prime use instead? Nothing? No customizability at all?

Has anyone figured out a way to replace the Prime's firmware to transform it into a really great calc? :-)
I think no, but NewRPL might or might not in some point of time, it just lacks of manpower.
06-30-2016, 12:14 AM
(06-29-2016 09:16 PM)Vtile Wrote:  
(06-29-2016 01:00 PM)JDW Wrote:  Has anyone figured out a way to replace the Prime's firmware to transform it into a really great calc? :-)
I think no, but NewRPL might or might not in some point of time, it just lacks of manpower.

But I see that NewRPL is being targeted exclusively at the 50G, as opposed to the Prime.
06-30-2016, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2016 08:53 PM by Vtile.)
(06-30-2016 12:14 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(06-29-2016 09:16 PM)Vtile Wrote:  I think no, but NewRPL might or might not in some point of time, it just lacks of manpower.

But I see that NewRPL is being targeted exclusively at the 50G, as opposed to the Prime.
Quote: This project will develop the following concepts:

RPL execution environment: This module will be independent of the hardware, and provide the services needed to execute programs in the RPL language, such as compilation, memory management, garbage collection.
RPL language specifications: This module will define the keywords and syntax of the new language, numeric algorithms, data types, etc.

I personally interpret these as a theoretical possibility to migrate the OS (newRPL) to another hardware, plus both devices are running ARM based RISC processors. Although I'm not even an amateur what comes to this kind of computer / EE technology nor C-language. I also faintly remember of reading somewhere that Claudio responded to question newRPL to Prime as possible, but no manpower to do or so. So in that light I assume that in somepoint in time when newRPL is functioning on 50g someone will eventually try to port it to Prime.
07-01-2016, 03:02 AM
(06-30-2016 08:52 PM)Vtile Wrote:  
(06-30-2016 12:14 AM)JDW Wrote:  But I see that NewRPL is being targeted exclusively at the 50G, as opposed to the Prime.
Quote: This project will develop the following concepts:

RPL execution environment: This module will be independent of the hardware, and provide the services needed to execute programs in the RPL language, such as compilation, memory management, garbage collection.
RPL language specifications: This module will define the keywords and syntax of the new language, numeric algorithms, data types, etc.

I personally interpret these as a theoretical possibility to migrate the OS (newRPL) to another hardware, plus both devices are running ARM based RISC processors. Although I'm not even an amateur what comes to this kind of computer / EE technology nor C-language. I also faintly remember of reading somewhere that Claudio responded to question newRPL to Prime as possible, but no manpower to do or so. So in that light I assume that in somepoint in time when newRPL is functioning on 50g someone will eventually try to port it to Prime.

So you hear it from the horse's mouth:
When HP announced the 50g was being discontinued I considered moving to the Prime hardware. However, the lack of information on the Prime was going to set the project back roughly a year or so (nobody else seems to be working on alternative firmware, despite the proof-of-concept that was published in late 2014 (or was it 2015?)). In the end I decided to stick with the 50g hardware for the time being, as we have it running already and making nice progress.
Also, I thought it's easier for people to buy a second 50g to try newRPL than buying a second Prime.
But if/when the 50g starts disappearing from the market we'll have to reconsider migrating to other hardware. I'm also paying close attention to the DM-42 project. If the hardware is able to run newRPL it could be an interesting platform, if anything to help support the only person that's designing new hardware nowadays.
newRPL is and remains highly portable, but it takes some work to port from one platform to another, which is better spent moving the project forward rather than going sideways from device to device.
07-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Quote:But if/when the 50g starts disappearing from the market we'll have to reconsider migrating to other hardware. I'm also paying close attention to the DM-42 project.
May I just say, the idea of an improved HP50g RPL machine with the latest Xcas in a Pioneer frame with a better than quad density pixel display ... well, it just uses up a whole box of awesome from my POV Smile

~ Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-02-2016, 04:02 AM
(07-01-2016 03:02 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  When HP announced the 50g was being discontinued I considered moving to the Prime hardware

Has this been confirmed to be fact? That rumor was over a year ago and said at the end of 2015. As far as I can tell they are still making it.
07-06-2016, 06:17 PM
(07-02-2016 04:02 AM)dalupus Wrote:  Has this been confirmed to be fact? That rumor was over a year ago and said at the end of 2015. As far as I can tell they are still making it.

No. It is not still being made. I believe the final production run of the last 50g containing the last ARM9 chips from that SOC available for purchase was sometime either late 2014 or early 2015. Only units left are what distributors might have around, or sitting on dusty back shelves in college bookstores.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-06-2016, 07:22 PM
(07-06-2016 06:17 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  No. It is not still being made. I believe the final production run of the last 50g containing the last ARM9 chips from that SOC available for purchase was sometime either late 2014 or early 2015. Only units left are what distributors might have around, or sitting on dusty back shelves in college bookstores.

Would be nice to get a hold of the last 50g off the line. Truly, the end of an era...

--Bob Prosperi
07-08-2016, 07:29 PM
(07-06-2016 07:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:17 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  No. It is not still being made. I believe the final production run of the last 50g containing the last ARM9 chips from that SOC available for purchase was sometime either late 2014 or early 2015. Only units left are what distributors might have around, or sitting on dusty back shelves in college bookstores.

Would be nice to get a hold of the last 50g off the line. Truly, the end of an era...

Bob rush and get one. You'll need it for NewRPL Smile
Günter
07-08-2016, 09:35 PM
(07-08-2016 07:29 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 07:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Would be nice to get a hold of the last 50g off the line. Truly, the end of an era...

Bob rush and get one. You'll need it for NewRPL Smile
Günter

LOL... I have a 50g set aside to run NewRPL, just have not made/found the time to play with it yet. But it seems to be rapidly maturing and functionality is fairly robust, so I will soon. If I have room, I'll bring it to HHC and we can have flash party to upgrade the machine.

But boy the last 50g made would be a treat... and as a bonus, I could tantalize Matthias, LOL.

--Bob Prosperi
07-08-2016, 09:38 PM
R.I.P it is good machine. Fortunately I have spare unit now.
07-09-2016, 12:54 AM
(07-08-2016 09:35 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  But boy the last 50g made would be a treat... and as a bonus, I could tantalize Matthias, LOL.

One of my 50g's is a beta tester pre-production unit, without a serial number. I better stop using it for daily work and put it aside before it breaks! I think I'll buy a third one to have 2 running machines, and put my beta unit for collection purposes only.
So I have one of the first ones, now I'll buy one of the last ones too...
07-09-2016, 01:34 AM
The end of a 50g (48S/48G/49G) era... kind of sad. How fast time flies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)