Some assorted HP67/97 questions
06-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Another image tweak
(06-08-2016 11:59 PM)Dieter Wrote:  ...
The higher resolution of course has its advantages for editing. ;-) I cannot say more since the images can only be downloaded by registered Flickr users, but this is a good source. A slighty less tight crop would even be nicer since it would show the complete display and the HP logo at the bottom.

I took some bitmap editing time and produced a version with the full height display, HP logo at bottom, and a thin white border on the left, right, and top edges.

They have been added to the same album on Flickr as linked before.

Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2016, 11:38 PM
RE: Some assorted HP67/97 questions
(06-09-2016 11:08 PM)striegel Wrote:  I took some bitmap editing time and produced a version with the full height display, HP logo at bottom, and a thin white border on the left, right, and top edges.

They have been added to the same album on Flickr as linked before.

Alan

I'm thinking about a self adjusting mode when using external images, which tests the mouse click points and move them automatically into the center of rows and columns for subsequent clicks. Only the display needs to stay located near the original place.

But I don't know whether this approach will succeed in every case.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
06-10-2016, 05:54 AM
(06-09-2016 11:38 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I'm thinking about a self adjusting mode when using external images, which tests the mouse click points and move them automatically into the center of rows and columns for subsequent clicks. Only the display needs to stay located near the original place.

But I don't know whether this approach will succeed in every case.

This could be solved by calibration procedure: the user clicks the center of the four corner keys (A, E, divide and R/S) and the rest should be trivial.

But there is an easier solution: simply disclose the relative key positions expected by the emulator. So everyone can edit his picture accordingly.

Dieter
06-10-2016, 08:56 AM
(06-09-2016 08:33 PM)Dieter Wrote:  BTW the problem with small DATA values persists. A 0.001 read from the data section displays as 10 in DSP 0 and an 1/x takes at least a second before it returns a plain zero. So this must be a kind of non-standard value.

Dieter

Reading DATA values bug is fixed! Smile

Bernhard

06-10-2016, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2016 07:07 PM by PANAMATIK.)
I just released emulators for the classic family! Smile

HP-35 HP-45 HP-55 HP-80

HP-65 will follow. Does anybody sell an HP-70, then also HP-70 could follow.

Bernhard
[/quote]

06-10-2016, 07:06 PM
I just released a complete set of emulators of the Spice family, including HP-34C Smile

HP-31E HP-32E HP-33E/C HP-34C HP-37E HP-38E/C

Saving HP-34C programs is not yet implemented, but will follow.

Bernhard

06-10-2016, 09:31 PM
(06-10-2016 08:56 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Reading DATA values bug is fixed! Smile

Seems to work now. At the moment I cannot report any more bugs. Except the keyboard handling which may cause some weird effects. Try this: Enter 123 and then press Shift, Alt, Crtl or Esc a few times... #-) Several other keys (e.g. Esc or sometimes even "M") seem to cause a R/S, while on the other hand R/S does not always stop a running program (at least not immediately).

As to useful features: I still like the idea of a MODE section that saves resp. restores the display, trig and flag settings – just like 67/97's card reader.

But I see you are busy with lots of other emulators. And there even is a 34C version. Wow.

Dieter
06-10-2016, 09:56 PM
(06-10-2016 07:06 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I just released a complete set of emulators of the Spice family, including HP-34C Smile

HP-31E HP-32E HP-33E/C HP-34C HP-37E HP-38E/C

The 32E zip-file seems to be corrupted. Could you check this?

BTW, unlike the 67, the Spices have the decimal marker between the digits. This also applies to some earlier calculators like the 29C. This way also a 10-digit number will fit the display. ;-) The thousands separator (e.g. 34C) is a bit tricky: you have to use two different characters (period and comma). This can be done with the respective characters of the LED classic font.

BTW2: You now seem to use a dark red background for the display font. IMHO this looks better than the dark gray background of the HP67 emulator. I think you should use it there as well (maybe a slightly darker red).

Dieter
06-10-2016, 11:40 PM
(06-10-2016 09:31 PM)Dieter Wrote:  At the moment I cannot report any more bugs. Except the keyboard handling which may cause some weird effects. Try this: Enter 123 and then press Shift, Alt, Crtl or Esc a few times... #-) Several other keys (e.g. Esc or sometimes even "M") seem to cause a R/S, while on the other hand R/S does not always stop a running program (at least not immediately).

As to useful features: I still like the idea of a MODE section that saves resp. restores the display, trig and flag settings – just like 67/97's card reader.

But I see you are busy with lots of other emulators. And there even is a 34C version. Wow.

Dieter

The keyboard issue is fixed now and you have also a MODE section. Have a look to the saved file and I think you find it very convenient. The MODE section is only one line and doesn't need an END stantement.

I think this is the final HP-67 version (for now Smile).

There is more work to do in completing the manual.

Bernhard

06-12-2016, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 01:11 PM by Dieter.)
(06-10-2016 11:40 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The keyboard issue is fixed now and you have also a MODE section. Have a look to the saved file and I think you find it very convenient. The MODE section is only one line and doesn't need an END stantement.

Fine – thank you very much. There is just only thing that could be improved: after "reading a card" (loading a program) the mode settings do not show up in the emulator, e.g. the display format does not change. This only happens after an operation, i.e. any key press on the emulator. Maybe this can be improved.

(06-10-2016 11:40 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I think this is the final HP-67 version (for now Smile).

So we now can think about the icing on the cake. ;-) I wonder if it may be possible to add some kind of labelling for the A–E keys, similar to a program card that is placed in the respective slot above the keys...

(06-10-2016 11:40 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  There is more work to do in completing the manual.

Looking at the list in the PDF I think the mnemonics deserve some streamlining:
  • Could the list please be sorted in any way?
  • The "/x" for the "mean" command should be replaced by "xbar" or something other more intuitive.
  • What does "CL" do? This was a bug in earlier versions (written by Save, but not recognized by Load). I think this this supposed to mean CLREG, isn't it?
  • The use of the colon as a division symbol is not very intuitive. If it has to be an ASCII character I would prefer the usual slash "/", both for a simple division and for storage arithmetics.
  • Why do DSP (i), GTO (i), GSB (i), DSZ (i) and ISZ (i) require a space wheras STO(i) and RCL(i) don't? I think the spaces should be removed.
  • The list also includes a "LBL (i)". What is this supposed to do ?-)
  • The spaces in the register arithmetic commands are somewhat ...disturbing. Why does it have to be "STO + 3" instead of "ST0+3"?
  • Are F1? and F? 1 equivalent?
Both the manual and the emulator itself deserve a better HP67 image. The one I am using looks very nice and the mouse/graphics alignment is close to perfect. But since nobody seems to know the exact original source of the pictures linked by striegel...

Maybe someone can place his HP67 on a scanner and post the result here. If this is a useable base to start with I could do some image editing to get a decent HP67.BMP for the emulator.

Dieter
06-12-2016, 02:04 PM
(06-12-2016 12:44 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Both the manual and the emulator itself deserve a better HP67 image. The one I am using looks very nice and the mouse/graphics alignment is close to perfect. But since nobody seems to know the exact original source of the pictures linked by striegel...

Dieter/Bernhard - IANAL, however the following approach has been used many, many times before, both for HP Calculator items and other unrelated topics:

When the original author is unknown or cannot be contacted, simply make the image available for use for this purpose with a statement that if the author (or copyright holder, etc.) makes contact and does not agree to such use that it will be withdrawn, and all users of the work agree to stop using it under such circumstances. This approach has been used for manuals, overlays, ROM images, and many other similar items in the past.

Also, perhaps striegel knows the original source?

--Bob Prosperi
06-12-2016, 10:17 PM
(06-10-2016 08:56 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Reading DATA values bug is fixed! Smile

Almost. ;-)

Values below 1 with 10 significant digits are loaded with just 9 decimals. For instance a DATA entry of 0.01512345678 is read back as 0.015123456, and 0.001234512345 is truncated to 0.001234512, i.e. at nine digits after the decimal point.

On the other hand scientific notation in the DATA section seems to work fine, all ten digits are transferred. So the easiest fix is writing the DATA values always this way.

Dieter
06-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Image belongs to HP
(06-12-2016 02:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 12:44 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Both the manual and the emulator itself deserve a better HP67 image. The one I am using looks very nice and the mouse/graphics alignment is close to perfect. But since nobody seems to know the exact original source of the pictures linked by striegel...
Also, perhaps striegel knows the original source?
This photo is the source on which the derived images were based, but a careful comparison shows that this is identical to the hp67.jpg file found in the MoHPC Document Set under \data\cd17\pictures. All images in that directory are labeled as "Copyright © Hewlett Packard".

In light of the source, I should take down the images I had posted to Flickr. Sorry, everyone.

I will be happy to replace this with an entirely new one put in the public domain, but I do not currently own a physical HP-67. If anyone would like to lend me one for a short while, I can produce excellent photographs and scans. (My home is in northeast Ohio, so any local collector wouldn't have to ship it.)

Volunteers?

Alan
06-13-2016, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2016 09:07 PM by PANAMATIK.)
The HP-67 version 1.02 is released.

A major step: Now you have "freedom of configuration".

There is an optional keyboard mapping file, which allows you to specify the exact location of the buttons and the display. You can use nearly every HP-67 image of your choice now. And you can select the location of the display and its font and color.

I corrected also reading numbers with leading zeros in the DATA section, and changed the syntax of some instructions according to the suggestions of Dieter. The manual contains the actual list of instructions.

The parser accepts STO+3 and STO + 3, DSZ(i) and DSZ (i) etc.
"/x" is now "xmean"
"CL" didn't exist any more since 1.01 "CLREG" is clear register
for Division always "/" is used.
"F1?" and "F? 1" are equivalent

This would be a screenshot if you would use the image supported by striegel.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RekNTUUFSSlBPUW8]

Bernhard

06-13-2016, 09:34 PM
(06-13-2016 03:02 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  A major step: Now you have "freedom of configuration".

Great – I love to configure things individually. ;-)
And yes, it works once the hp67.kml file is properly set up.

(06-13-2016 03:02 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The parser accepts STO+3 and STO + 3, DSZ(i) and DSZ (i) etc.
"/x" is now "xmean"

Hmmm... the x-bar key returns both the means of x and y. #-)

(06-13-2016 03:02 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  This would be a screenshot if you would use the image supported by striegel.

Now imagine how good this will look once this is properly aligned and symmetric, maybe even using the original file with the complete calculator including the silver trim. I can tell you it looks great. 8-)

Hmmm... I just got a strange idea. What if the save/load dialog would pop up once you double-click on the card slot? In PRGM it's save, in RUN it's load – just as on the real thing. ;-)

Dieter
06-14-2016, 03:49 AM
(06-13-2016 09:34 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Hmmm... the x-bar key returns both the means of x and y. #-)

Now imagine how good this will look once this is properly aligned and symmetric, maybe even using the original file with the complete calculator including the silver trim. I can tell you it looks great. 8-)

Hmmm... I just got a strange idea. What if the save/load dialog would pop up once you double-click on the card slot? In PRGM it's save, in RUN it's load – just as on the real thing. ;-)

Dieter

"xmean" is not bad, the original label does also show only x.

The configuration file allows to configure the image of the complete calculator including the silver trim. Smile

The card reader click is a good idea to get close to the "final version".

For anybody who is interested: Here is the (several times modified and corrected) C# code for converting a number to Woodstock BCD format.

ConvertNumber.cs

Bernhard

06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
(06-14-2016 03:49 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  "xmean" is not bad, the original label does also show only x.

That's why the on the 41 it's just "mean". ;-)

(06-14-2016 03:49 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The configuration file allows to configure the image of the complete calculator including the silver trim. Smile

Sure, this is what I am using now. That's why I mentioned the gorgeous look of it. :-)

(06-14-2016 03:49 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The card reader click is a good idea to get close to the "final version".

And it avoids the now required change of the window size.

(06-14-2016 03:49 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  For anybody who is interested: Here is the (several times modified and corrected) C# code for converting a number to Woodstock BCD format.

Is there a special reason why you chose this particular part of the code? A special meaning for the project? Something else?

Anyway, once again thank you very much for this great HP67 emulator.

Dieter
06-14-2016, 10:32 PM
(06-14-2016 09:09 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Is there a special reason why you chose this particular part of the code? A special meaning for the project? Something else?

Dieter

Good question. This is the code which made a lot of work thanks to your testing until it finally worked Smile In the final version it looks quite easy.

Bernhard

06-15-2016, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 01:49 AM by rprosperi.)
The attached image of an HP-67 was distributed at HHC2013, with HP's permission, for use by the community.

I'm not sure if this is the same image as discussed previously, but this one CAN be used, so perhaps someone that understands the .KML format could create a new .kml file that works with this image.

It seems to me this image is slightly tilted, so it probably should be adjusted to make it squarely vertical/horizontal first.

HTH.

[attachment=3676]

--Bob Prosperi
06-15-2016, 08:29 AM
(06-15-2016 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  The attached image of an HP-67 was distributed at HHC2013, with HP's permission, for use by the community.

I'm not sure if this is the same image as discussed previously, but this one CAN be used, so perhaps someone that understands the .KML format could create a new .kml file that works with this image.

It seems to me this image is slightly tilted, so it probably should be adjusted to make it squarely vertical/horizontal first.

HTH.

Thank you bob. These are quite good news!

I made new images for the HP67 emulator, untilted, contrast improved, removed display mirror effect, and created .kml files for each of them.

Just rename your favourite .jpg image to "hp67.bmp" and rename the corresponding .kml file to "hp67.kml"

Program Load and Save can be done now by clicking to the card slot area.

Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)