Some assorted HP67/97 questions
06-15-2016, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 12:46 PM by Dieter.)
RE: Some assorted HP67/97 questions
(06-15-2016 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  The attached image of an HP-67 was distributed at HHC2013, with HP's permission, for use by the community.

I'm not sure if this is the same image as discussed previously,

I compared both side by side and I would say, yes it is the same picture.

(06-15-2016 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  but this one CAN be used, so perhaps someone that understands the .KML format could create a new .kml file that works with this image.

This is the image I am using for Bernhard's HP67 emulator, resized to 380x800 pixels. Since the display shows some diffuse reflections I replaced it with another one (see below). I also did not like the two switches set to "OFF" and "PRGM", so I moved them to "ON" and "RUN". ;-)

(06-15-2016 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  It seems to me this image is slightly tilted, so it probably should be adjusted to make it squarely vertical/horizontal first.

Yes, it's about 0,5° off – this was the first thing I corrected. The remaining geometric error is negligible, but of course the usual adjustments in contrast, brightness and sharpness were applied. Now since the picture officially can be used, here is a screenshot:

I could provide both the picture and a KML file once two things have been clarified:

Bernhard: how exactly are the display coordinates in the KML file defined? I see the position is set by the left upper corner, while the size of the digits as well as their width is defined by the font size. So why is the lower right corner needed?

Katie: For my emulator image I took the display portion of your HP67 picture on wass.net and – after some major adjustments – inserted it into the other image. The result is hardly comparable with the display in your image, but nevertheless I would like to know if this is OK for you.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2016, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 12:57 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(06-15-2016 12:36 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Bernhard: how exactly are the display coordinates in the KML file defined? I see the position is set by the left upper corner, while the size of the digits as well as their width is defined by the font size. So why is the lower right corner needed?

Dieter

The right of the lower right display coordinate is used to define the display width. Only the height of the display is defined by the font.

As mentioned in my previous post, I also adapted the new image already and made also kml files. Just download HP-67 Emulator. There are three image sizes with silver trim and three without.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
(06-15-2016 08:29 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Thank you bob. These are quite good news!

I made new images for the HP67 emulator, untilted, contrast improved, removed display mirror effect, and created .kml files for each of them.

Just rename your favourite .jpg image to "hp67.bmp" and rename the corresponding .kml file to "hp67.kml"

Program Load and Save can be done now by clicking to the card slot area.

Bernhard

Glad to help in a very small way.

This is lovely Bernhard, it feels so much better looking more like a real 67, my thanks once again for your continuing enhancements.

Big thanks also to Dieter for his usual thorough testing, feedback and good suggestions. Clicking on the card slot is very natural and intuitive, now that it has been pointed out.

Now to make time to enter some programs and play a bit more...

--Bob Prosperi
06-15-2016, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 02:01 PM by Dieter.)
(06-15-2016 12:56 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The right of the lower right display coordinate is used to define the display width. Only the height of the display is defined by the font.

But the width is defined as well then – it's simply 15 times the character width.

(06-15-2016 12:56 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  As mentioned in my previous post, I also adapted the new image already and made also kml files. Just download HP-67 Emulator. There are three image sizes with silver trim and three without.

OK, I hadn't noticed this before. I see you simply filled the display with a uniform color – that's a good idea, so I also did this with my HP67 image and there is no need to insert a display from another image. The text background color is set to the same RGB value so it seamlessly blends into the surrounding display.

BTW, if you prefer an HP67 with dot matrix display, simply use the "HP 82143 Char Set" font that is also included in Luiz' font package. Use a somewhat (+30%) larger font size and everything works fine – even the period that takes a full character width.

One thing that could still be improved is the mode setting after loading a file. It still takes clicking on a calculator button before the display is set according to the MODE section.

Dieter
06-15-2016, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 02:50 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(06-15-2016 01:55 PM)Dieter Wrote:  But the width is defined as well then – it's simply 15 times the character width.

Not quite. The width would be variable if a proportinal font is chosen, therefore it will be defined as fixed width by the configuration file.

(06-15-2016 01:55 PM)Dieter Wrote:  One thing that could still be improved is the mode setting after loading a file. It still takes clicking on a calculator button before the display is set according to the MODE section.

Dieter

I know. Also loading a program in PRGM mode shows the new step first after pressing SST. I have no solution for this. I can simulate a key press after loading, but there is no neutral key available.

The actual "final" version 1.03 now has a nice icon.

Bernhard

06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
(06-09-2016 03:47 PM)Gene Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 05:21 AM)bshoring Wrote:  There is a very good one from Cuvée Software, for iPad only.
RPN-65.

Gene: What I'm hoping for in Cuvee's HP 67 emulator for iphone/ipad is the games library. They offer a couple of HP 67 application packs but not that one.

Guess I need to read up on how to save and then share user keyed programs as well.

Gene, the HP Game Pac I has been available for download since day one. Including all programs shown on the website in the app by default would be overkill, in my opinion.
Willy Kunz, CuVee Software
06-15-2016, 04:19 PM
And my apologies, I was speaking from a lack of knowledge. :-)

Thanks for the information and link. I now know more and see how to do this.

Great product and great help. ty
06-15-2016, 06:26 PM
(06-15-2016 02:48 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 01:55 PM)Dieter Wrote:  One thing that could still be improved is the mode setting after loading a file. It still takes clicking on a calculator button before the display is set according to the MODE section.

I know. Also loading a program in PRGM mode shows the new step first after pressing SST. I have no solution for this. I can simulate a key press after loading, but there is no neutral key available.

That's simple – one of the prefix keys will do. You could simulate an [f] followed by [CL PRGM] which in RUN mode (!) is the official way of neutralizing a prefix key. Since there now is an elegant way of saving/loading programs by clicking the card slot, the two separate buttons could be removed. This way programs can only be loaded in RUN mode and the proposed method will work. You could also use another function that has no effect in RUN mode, e.g. one of the test commands.

If you want to load programs also in W/PRGM mode there is no need for a simulated key press since display, flags and trig mode it do not matter until the user switches back to RUN – which in turn makes the mode settings take effect. This means: if in RUN press [f] [CL PRGM] (or [f] [x=0?] or...), else do nothing.

I did not quite understand the other problem re. the next step after a SST.

Dieter
06-15-2016, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2016 10:00 AM by PANAMATIK.)
(06-15-2016 06:26 PM)Dieter Wrote:  I did not quite understand the other problem re. the next step after a SST.

Dieter

If you are in PRGM mode and lets say step "001 84" is displayed, then you load a program, still "001 84" is displayed. You need to press at least SST or BST to show the correct program step.

There are ways to refresh the display: switch to run mode and back, or to press SST and BST or to manipulate the microcode. I'm looking for a method which can also be applied to the other calculators.

Added: I found the solution. The todays version of the HP-67 emulator does refresh the display mode and program step after loading PROGRAM or DATA.
Now this is the final version! (though only as final as software usually can be). Smile

Bernhard

06-26-2016, 09:46 PM
(06-15-2016 07:09 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Added: I found the solution. The todays version of the HP-67 emulator does refresh the display mode and program step after loading PROGRAM or DATA.
Now this is the final version! (though only as final as software usually can be). Smile

Thank you very much, Bernhard. I just finished a Normal distribution program that takes advantage of the DATA section where the coefficients for a rational approximation are stored. This way the program runs reasonably fast and offers good accuracy. The program is available in the HP67/97 Software Library, including two files for your emulator.

Dieter
06-27-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2016 06:58 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(06-26-2016 09:46 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Thank you very much, Bernhard. I just finished a Normal distribution program that takes advantage of the DATA section where the coefficients for a rational approximation are stored. This way the program runs reasonably fast and offers good accuracy. The program is available in the HP67/97 Software Library, including two files for your emulator.

Dieter

Thank you for adapting the programs for the HP-67 Emulator. I tried to keep the syntax as convenient as possible by using pure ASCII characters. Most of the instructions are the same as used in your code in the posting, except for a few mnemonics with special characters containing arrows or superscript numbers or the square root symbol. Only LastX versus LSTX could be made more compatible. I think LSTX will become the precedence in the next version, because it is identical with the printed label.

Bernhard

06-27-2016, 10:09 PM
(06-27-2016 06:47 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I tried to keep the syntax as convenient as possible by using pure ASCII characters. Most of the instructions are the same as used in your code in the posting,

Sure. The listing was generated from the emulator state file. :-)
I only made some minor changes so that it better matched the key labels resp. the HP97 printer output.

(06-27-2016 06:47 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  ...except for a few mnemonics with special characters containing arrows or superscript numbers or the square root symbol.

That's exactly what I changed.

(06-27-2016 06:47 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Only LastX versus LSTX could be made more compatible. I think LSTX will become the precedence in the next version, because it is identical with the printed label.

That's fine if both ways are accepted.

Dieter
07-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Hei PANAMATIK, how do you activate the debugger in your HP67Emulator ?
07-01-2016, 09:37 PM
(07-01-2016 10:32 AM)Alejandro Paz(Germany) Wrote:  Hei PANAMATIK, how do you activate the debugger in your HP67Emulator ?

Hi Alejandro. The HP67 Emulator does not contain a debugger!

Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)