HP Prime problem. Calculator resetting itself
05-07-2016, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 03:24 AM by German90.)
HP Prime problem. Calculator resetting itself
Hi, I have a problem with my calculator. It randomly losses all calculations in the memory (only time settings are remembered)and pops up the equation at the beginning. Anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: HP Prime problem. Calculator resetting itself
How often happens? It is pretty normal.

You have to write down important stuff while using it, or sync with a PC or replicate in something reliable like the 50g

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2016, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 04:22 AM by German90.)
I think it happens when the battery life percentage changes. Just happened again and the battery life changed so I can infer that's the cause
05-07-2016, 07:57 PM
No, that is not normal. Have you ever updated it? What is the version you have on your calculator.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-07-2016, 07:58 PM
I have the latest Firmware version. 14/04/16
05-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi!, German90:

Try, with fully charge, battery ...

Font: http://www.educalc.net

HP Prime Diagnostic Mode
To put the Prime in diagnostic mode, press F C O keys all at the same time while doing a pin reset to back of the unit. It should display the "EA656 DIAGNOSTIC" Screen Menu.

HP Prime reset to factory settings - Press 4 (FLS Utility), and then press 3 (Format Disk C). This clears out the flash. Once finished, press ESC to back out into the main menu. From there press 9 (RESET). It will reboot into its factory condition and request language choice.

Note: To do a quick minor factory reset. Press [Apps] and [Esc] key simultaneously and holding it, and press the [On] key.

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
I had a similar problem with my new Prime (the other one died during firmware upgrade). The firmware is the latest. I was editing a very short program (not running it, just editing) and the Prime turned off by itself. When I turned it back on, everything was wiped - programs, data, everything. Pretty sad moment... Sad

Previously (with the previous firmware) I had it spontaneously reboot while editing formulas, but it never lost all the data before...

Cristian
05-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Hi!, Cristian:

Try, with this steps ...
1) On Symb.
2) ON+Apps+Esc (all data lost, of the memory).

Question : Your HP PRIME battery, have charge ?.

IMHO, if the problem continued, you can call, to Center of Support and Assistance, more near, your home, from ... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android/Pho...-p/5038024

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi Infomach,
I performed the other steps from your previous reply (total Flash format from the Diagnostics page). Is that the same?
I also checked the FLASH blocks, and it appears I have three bad blocks: 0, 1 and 999. Could this be a problem?

Cristian
05-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Hi!, Cristian:

Try, with fully charged battery, download (or reinstalled), the ultimate firmware version 10077, the connectivity and virtual emulator, all, of this version. Before, uninstall on your PC or computer, all you have installed, the previous version. With this is verified if a hardware problem (flash) or improperly installed software.

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-10-2016, 10:06 AM
The last emulator on win7, 32bit shows some instability here and resets quite often after I start it. I noticed that with the latest version, the older one did not show such behaviour.

It is a little annoying, but if you do backup your calculator, you can restore this backup without pc. THAT is one of the biggest improvements in firmware. Really! So you can just restore your programs and stuff and start over.

The reason for the instability would be interessting. At least for HP so that can be fixed in the future.
05-10-2016, 01:56 PM
(05-09-2016 03:30 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  Hi Infomach,
I performed the other steps from your previous reply (total Flash format from the Diagnostics page). Is that the same?
I also checked the FLASH blocks, and it appears I have three bad blocks: 0, 1 and 999. Could this be a problem?

Cristian

Flash blocks marked as "bad" are generally not an issue at all. Most flash chips have at least a few bad blocks.

The only time it really is a problem is when a block decides to fail during operation and wipe something out. This is normally quite rare though.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Hello

> Flash blocks marked as "bad" are generally not an issue at all. Most flash chips have at least a few bad blocks.
> The only time it really is a problem is when a block decides to fail during operation and wipe something out. This is normally quite rare though.

Actually, it is even "better" than that.

All flash have bad blocks. This is normal for flash technology.
All flash do slowly "grow" more and mode bad blocks. This is also normal (wear).
Flash do (normally) never fail on write operations. This is because write are in fact erase operations (flip bits from 1 to 0) as the default state for a 'clear flash' is all one.
Flash can fail on clear operations (set all to 1), which is performed before any writes.

Flash do return suxess/fail when clear and write operation are performed. This allows the operating system to act on such failures and relocate the bad sector somewhere else...

Flash is a great technology, with known issues and well understood workaround to deal with them.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Thank you. So the bad blocks are not the reason for my issues.
It would still be interesting to know what happened and why. All of the resets happened while I was editing something (formulas or programs), and the one that wiped all my data happened while editing a program. It seems quite a drastic crash for a relatively simple use...

Cristian
05-11-2016, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 08:53 PM by salvomic.)
I wonder what is your firmware (ok, I read: it's the last...) and how much free memory.

I had a similar problem last here whit an old firmware and with my "big" program (Effemeridi, about 250 kB, more than 3000 lines) because there was (I think) few memory.
Now I've 10-11 MB also with all my programs installed and the problems seems to not be present (hopefully!).

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
05-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Hi Salvo,
I'm pretty sure it's not a low memory problem. When the first crashes happened (while editing equations) the calculator was brand new, with nothing installed at all.
The latest (most catastrophic) crash, with the newest firmware, happened when editing a very short program (VERY short, like less than 10 lines), and I only had a couple of very small apps installed...

Cristian
05-11-2016, 09:05 PM
(05-11-2016 09:02 PM)Cristian Arezzini Wrote:  Hi Salvo,
I'm pretty sure it's not a low memory problem. When the first crashes happened (while editing equations) the calculator was brand new, with nothing installed at all.
The latest (most catastrophic) crash, with the newest firmware, happened when editing a very short program (VERY short, like less than 10 lines), and I only had a couple of very small apps installed...

Cristian

ok, Cristian,
then I don't figure what could be at a glance, sorry...

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
05-23-2016, 01:43 PM
So... I followed the advice, I re-flashed the firmware, (I checked the checksums on the calculator and they're ok), formatted flash and everything... and I played with the calculator some more.
I got a hard reset while I was simply browsing the help. Nothing at all had been installed on the calculator. The battery was full.
Did I get two dud calculators out of two I bought? Sad

Cristian
05-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Prime:
SW-Version: 10077
Hardware Version: A

Computer OS: OSX 10.5.11
VMWare Fusion, Windows 7

Since the update to Version 10077 my Prime is nearly unusable.
First the Update went not smooth: When reaching 100% the process stopped and I had to reset the Prime with a paperclip. While the instruction said the memory of the Prime would be wiped completely it retained all my programs - so I wondered whether the process went correctly or not (the info shows the updated version of the OS).
From this point on I experienced random crashes, restarts and hanging at the start-screen (paperclip). Today the Prime crashed severely loosing all its memory and restarted 3 times in a row, loosing also the settings.

I'm really sad - I can't use this calculator anymore because of this instability.
Is there something I can try to fix this?
I already tried the above mentioned methods (F C O, Format Disk).

With the previous version everything went fine, the calculator was very stable. Maybe downgrading?

Michael
05-26-2016, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2016 02:31 PM by informach.)
Hi!, Michael K-K:

IMHO, you needed uninstall in your PC, the all previous version 8151 (Firmware, Connectivity kit and Virtual Calculator). Then download and install, the new Software version 10077, in your PC, and upgrade your calculator with the Connectivity Kit, of this version. You can use, for optimize Windows, the free tool, call Advanced Uninstaller PRO, downloaded from ... http://www.advanceduninstaller.com

For erase memory, in your calculator, use ON+APPS+ESC, or the point of paper clip, into the bottom, of the switch, in the orifice, en the rear side (Reset) and press ON.

http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20160414.zip 9.1 MB 20/4/16 21:02:00
HP_Prime_Connectivity_Kit_20160414.exe 39.7 MB 25/4/16 17:41:00
HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator_2016_04_14.exe 111 MB 25/4/16 17:00:00

Kind Regards.
Maké.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)