Voyager bezel removal
04-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Voyager bezel removal
Thanks to "damaltor" I will have a new front for a quite worn 12c which I got off TAS.
This gave me an old 12c front to play with. I have tried to remove the bezel from the old front (I have an 11c that I want to replace the bezel on as well), but I don't seem to be able to remove the bezel without either bending it, or applying too much heat and warping the plastic. Is there a way to keep both parts intact, or do I have to sacrifice the the plastic if I want to reuse the bezel?

Cheers,
Harald
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2016, 08:29 PM
RE: Voyager bezel removal
Check out this:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=153539

Geoff
04-10-2016, 08:46 PM
(04-10-2016 08:29 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Check out this:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=153539

Geoff

I am also interested in removing a Voyager bezel and I've examined the above thread.

Quote:
Removing the bezel is a long process that must be carefully done with precautions. It requires lots of heat so the LCD must be removed in the early two piece versions (HP-15 I don't think was ever the two piece PCA) or protection of the LCD panel with cloth. You will have to wait for the book for that!

Until the book is released, a few more details would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
04-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Dave Frederickson Wrote:Until the book is released, a few more details would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I second that!

Thanks for the link Geoff, I had already seen it. But it doesn't really answer the question wether the bezel can be removed without warping the plastic.
I was lucky to have a bad case with a bad bezel to practice. I applied heat until I could lift the bezel without bending it, but the front case has not survived the procedure.

Cheers
Harald
04-10-2016, 09:45 PM
The bezel in the post was removed from a totally destroyed 11c and added to the 10c without warping or destruction.

A hair dryer was used as a heat source. I was not concerned with the donor case and applied sufficient heat to soften the glue completely and then remove the remove the bezel without concern to the styrene case.

The condition of the bezel removed from the 10c was not a concern but the case was so, less heat was applied to that bezel. Granted the knife scarred the styrene case but since that was covered by the replacement bezel I was not concerned. With the good bezel removed I the resurfaced it with scotchbrite scouring pad. I cut cardboard to fit perfectly over the LCD panel lens. Then taped it in place to direct the heat away from the LCD and clear lens.

However, if your bezel is not dented then removal is not a concern. Masking the case around the bezel, covering the LCD panel and applying parallel strokes with a scotchbrite pad will resurface the bezel. You may then Lacquer the cover when you have a satisfactory finish.

Geoff
04-11-2016, 10:05 AM
(04-10-2016 09:45 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  The bezel in the post was removed from a totally destroyed 11c and added to the 10c without warping or destruction.

A hair dryer was used as a heat source. I was not concerned with the donor case and applied sufficient heat to soften the glue completely and then remove the remove the bezel without concern to the styrene case.

The condition of the bezel removed from the 10c was not a concern but the case was so, less heat was applied to that bezel. Granted the knife scarred the styrene case but since that was covered by the replacement bezel I was not concerned. With the good bezel removed I the resurfaced it with scotchbrite scouring pad. I cut cardboard to fit perfectly over the LCD panel lens. Then taped it in place to direct the heat away from the LCD and clear lens.

However, if your bezel is not dented then removal is not a concern. Masking the case around the bezel, covering the LCD panel and applying parallel strokes with a scotchbrite pad will resurface the bezel. You may then Lacquer the cover when you have a satisfactory finish.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I'll let you know how I got on when I find a suitable donor...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)