TVM program update
01-31-2014, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 01:01 PM by fhub.)
TVM program update
New version in the last posting!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: TVM program update
hi franz,
it is a very neat program. i usually accomplish the same using an excel spreadsheet set up for the various scenarios, but your program is far more tidy and quicker to use.

one suggestion: to add a drop-down box under "N" that allows the user to select between 'intervals', 'weeks', 'months', 'quarters', 'years' (and any other intervals that are commonly used).

"I" would then have a fixed label of '% per interval' or '% per annum' depending on the selection of 'intervals' or other options under the "N" drop-down. and the value of N would be scaled internally according to the type of interval.

for the non-mathematical user this would make the operation a little more familiar.

again, a very neat program.

cheers,
rob :-)
Find all posts by this user
02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
you are right - largely my confusion.

the example i was working with was a $200,000 loan over 25 years at 10% interest rate. payments should be around $417.70 per week. to get the right results i was having to enter 25*52.2 as N and 10/52.2 as I.

by changing P/yr to 52.2 i don't need to scale I, but do still need to scale N. but being able to enter a simple equation (like "25*52.2") makes life much easier. i am setting C/yr to inf.

the question is: what numbers do banks use for the cases of weekly and monthly payments? is it 1 year=365.25 days, and 52.2 weeks in a year? or rounded to whole numbers? or do they use exact calculations and just fudge repayments individually to fit?

oh, and i can't use the cfa module as the window becomes too large and the end is below the bottom of the screen (1024x600) on my netbook. a scroll bar is needed.

rob :-)
02-02-2014, 06:59 PM
(02-02-2014 06:30 PM)fhub Wrote:  (although I don't know any real financial problem with weekly payment).

In the States we have predatory "payday" loans and "car title" loans. These are paid weekly (otherwise Guido comes and breaks your kneecaps.)

I helped an unfortunate neighbor get out from under such a loan. After looking at the terms of the loan, I calculated that the effective annual interest rate was 488%!

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
02-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Very nice and useful program. I use it several months already.
Useful if you don't always have by hands Hp 17BII / 19BII.
I'm more interesting about FMRR. I had a solver version on HP 19BII, but it's very slow, memory is quickly full. There is not a lot of documentation about FMRR.
Do you have maybe some small samples how to calculate FMRR in Excel?

Regards,
Bojan
02-04-2014, 10:15 PM
(02-03-2014 11:19 PM)fhub Wrote:  No sorry, Excel is not my world.
From this description I've developed the code for FMRR in Delphi - not really difficult, but definitely the most challenging part of all those financial functions.

I also think that programming is easier that "calculate" this correctly in Excel.
Maybe next step for you will be "web" solution, because create Linux version is probably not so easy.
Again: bravo for program!

ps. for Android I miss good HP 17 / 19b calculator with "full" solver. Entering large formulas on pc is much easier; also FMRR; and you don't have memory problemsSmile. But that's another topic (and I don't understand HP that they don't have such application for Android or maybe develop new "17bIII Smile" with solver and possible like some HP scientific calculators who can connect to PC (or using memory cards) for easy "handling".
FMRR could really easy calculate on 30b, but solver for them is totally different and 30b has some bugs (pity).

Thanks,
Bojan
(with collection several HP financial calculators)
02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
(02-04-2014 10:15 PM)bojanz Wrote:  ps. for Android I miss good HP 17 / 19b calculator with "full" solver.

Have you tried go17bii for Android? The UI is not as "slick" as the iOS examples you mention. But it is a full emulation of the original.

[Image: 17bii_001.png?height=320&width=179]

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
(02-04-2014 10:46 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 10:15 PM)bojanz Wrote:  ps. for Android I miss good HP 17 / 19b calculator with "full" solver.

Have you tried go17bii for Android? The UI is not as "slick" as the iOS examples you mention. But it is a full emulation of the original.

[Image: 17bii_001.png?height=320&width=179]

Mark Hardman

New skins have been uploaded, you still need a ROM dump, though.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
02-04-2014, 11:10 PM
(02-04-2014 10:51 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 10:46 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Mark Hardman
New skins have been uploaded, you still need a ROM dump, though.
I "know" this solution, but RLM-17BII/19 solutions have some more advanced futures (which I miss on 17bII).
and rom dump... I never try to get thisSmile

Bojan
06-11-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 03:43 PM by fhub.)
Hi,

inspired by Salvo's thread about "odd periods" in financial TVM calculations I've now also implemented this HP-12C feature
in my new version of TVM-Calc Pro - but even in a much more flexible way:

1) Instead of entering a decimal number for N (where the fractional part means the odd period), there's a separate entry (-nPV) for the odd period of PV. This doesn't limit the odd period to a value<1, but the PV can even be a few periods before date 0 (i.e. before the PMTs start) - something that's not possible in HP's financial calculators.

2) If there's an "odd period" between PV and date 0 (start of PMT periods), then why shouldn't there also be an "odd period" for FV, i.e. a delay between date N (end of PMT periods) and the final value/payment FV!?
So I've also added an entry (+nFV) with just this meaning, i.e. how many periods FV is after date N (also not possible with usual financial calculators).

3) And of course you can choose between compound ('Expon.') and simple ('Linear') interest during these "odd periods".

If anyone is interested in this new TVM-Calc Pro version - just download it from my website:
http://fhub.jimdo.com/
(Program updated on 15.6.2015!)

(BTW, there's no longer a separate 'Netbook' version included, because this new 'Pro' version automatically detects a too small screen size, and uses a scrollbar instead of a larger window for the 'CashFlow' mode).

Franz

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)